“very fresh seafood”

Island Creek Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Creek Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Kenmore
Transit: Kenmore
Boston, Massachusetts
“very fresh seafood”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This place is really packed... We made a reservation and were promptly seated. My friend is an oyster connoisseur. He ordered a half dozen and was very satisfied with the freshness and the reasonable price. We shared an order of cocktail shrimp, which was also fresh (and huge).

For entrees, I had scallops, which came with farro, red cabbage, and sweet potato. Overall it's pretty good in terms of freshness, although I'd hope the scallops to be a bit more juicy and flavorful. My friend had salmon, which he enjoyed.

I think this is a great place for people who love raw bar and the simple freshness of seafood, but if you're looking for some more delicately seasoned food, you might want to look elsewhere.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, TX
“GREAT lobster rolls!!!!”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The lobster roll was one of the best we had. We ate here twice in 4 nights! Great service and great food. What more do you need???

Visited December 2013
San Francisco, California
“Fresh and delicious seafood!”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

As we checked into Hotel Commonwealth, we were told that Island Creek Oyster Bar was Boston's best seafood restaurant so we decided to give it a try.

FOOD:
*Littleneck Clams ($1.50/each) - Delicious! The clams were fresh and served on a halfshell. Served with a cocktail sauce and vinegar sauce. Hot sauce condiments are on the table for your disposal.

*Crispy Oyster Slider ($4/slider) - So good that one didn't seem like enough. The oyster was lightly breaded and served on a small brioche roll and topped with a bit of greens and a few dollups of lime chile aioli.

*Fried Ipswich Cllams ($15/small) - A must order! The clams had a nice crisp and served with tartar sauce. The small was good enough for two of us to share as an appetizer.

*Lobster Roe Noodles ($32) - Good. By the time my entree came, I already loaded myself up with appetizers. I loved the fettichini noodles and the sauce that added a tiny bit of sweetness to the dish. The dish consisted of braised short rib, grilled lobster, oyster mushrooms, and brussel sprouts scatted around the dish. The lobster was tender, but I wasn't a fan of the braised short rib which was a bit too stringy.

SERVICE:
They were nice, but it was busy and the essentials were often missing. I was served my entree, yet I had to ask for a fork. My friend didn't get tartar sauce with his fish and chips and had to ask a few times before receiving it.

WHAT TO KNOW:
*Reservations are a must. For same day reservations on a Wednesday, we were only able to get 5pm reservations. Reservations can be done on opentable.com.
*If you're not a seafood person, there are a few meat options available
*Large restaurant - good for groups
*Located next to the green line transit

• Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
“Terrific food and service even in a snowstorm”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We worried that we would not find a good restaurant open in the December snowstorm. But our phone call was answered cheerily and we made our way from downtown to the Kenmore stop on the T line. They are 1/2 a block or less from the station.
We were welcomed in from the snow by a very happy group of staff, and were quickly located at a comfortable table. Food and drink arrived quickly and abundantly.
We feasted on fried clams and fries, good comfort food for a cold night. But the highlight was the house made Meyer Lemon sorbet. Make a trip there just for that.

• Visited December 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
“BOSTON SEAFOOD LEGEND”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

The dining room is light and airy with a back wall made of thousands
oyster shells stacked in gaboon cages. The room sizzles with energy
and a very active bar scene. You will immediately encounter large ice
Filled aquariums stacked high with oysters. We had a choice of 12 different oysters including: rocky nooks,chathams, beachpoints, and wellpoints. We loved the fresh razor clams,lobster, and muscles.
My wife had a noodle pasta with lobster, rib meat in a romanesco
sauce which was divine. I usually get the lobster roll because it is 95%
lobster with a very light sauce. The bread and rolls are homemade and
dangerously tempting.
We love the oysters at island Creek oyster bar! They are outstanding as is the service! The Smoked salmon is smoked right there so it is so much better than other smoked salmon. Everything is made right in the restaurant including the bread! We love the fluke crudo, the salmon tartare, and the lobster omelette! My favorite item for brunch is the crabcake Benedict! I only wish that they had it on the menu more often!
Chef Jeremy Sewall is a Boston Seafood legend. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is very friendly. The prices are reasonable
and the fish is fresh. There is not a better place to get truly fresh sea food.

Visited December 2013