“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 227 Coffee & Tea in Boston
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Thinking Cup is pleased to be the first coffee shop in Downtown Boston to serve "Stumptown Coffee" exclusively. Stumptown, originating in Portland Oregon had been named “Best Coffee in the World” by NPR, The New York Times, Food & Wine Magazine, and USA Today. To ensure exceptional quality and freshness we obtain our beans directly from Stumptown’s roasting facility in Brooklyn, New York.Opening its doors in December 2010, Thinking Cup is ideally located just steps from the Boston Common. We are committed to providing the premier coffee experience in Boston by serving only the finest coffees, teas, and freshly baked pastries. Was awarded Best Coffee Shop in Boston by Boston Magazine for 2011.
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

Every review raves about this place for good reason, great coffee and inexpensive breakfast.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Since my travels seldom bring me to this end of Tremont, this place managed to elude me until recently when I had my assistant research a place to meet someone over coffee (that wasn't a Dunkin' Donuts or Burger King.) She noted that she thought this place would be "perfect" and she was right.

I'm a tea drinker so I can't vouch for the coffee but the Thinking Cup offers a good, if not especially exotic, selection of loose leaf teas served in pots holding about 2 1/2 cups. To serve it quickly and allow you to customize the strength, they give it to you while it is still steeping. So, just remember that if you let black tea steep too long, it will get bitter. I did that to a perfectly good earl grey on my 2nd trip here, but it was entirely my fault as I know better.

The baked goods are tasty (once I had a muffin and a couple of days ago I tried their French Macaroons) if a bit pricey - this is after all, the city.

Both times, I was able to get a seat but this looks to be a popular place and I imagine that might be tough at times.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Went here 3 or 4 times during a 5 day stay in Boston. It was a go to place for sandwiches, breakfast, & dessert.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

while staying at ritz, I used to go to this place daily. I found the cost of food items pretty steep than the quantity provided or even the quality provided. all this on top of unnecessary attitude.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

**tip: Make sure to try the baked goods!**

As hubby is here for a conference and I'm out exploring on my own, I made 2 visits to Thinking Cup in one day and had 2 different experiences.

Service in the morning was more cheerful and friendly. I ordered an Americano to really get a feel for the flavour of their beans...more on the mild side, but very smooth! No coffee "aftertaste" at all. I also had the fruit & nut sticky bun (not sure if that's the real name) b/c I heard another cashier tell someone they only have those on the weekend. Glad I did as it was delicious without being over-sweet. Same goes for both the chocolate & vanilla cupcakes I took back to the hotel.

My visit in the evening with hubby was a little different. The place was still busy, the service much more "cool".Thankfully, this did not impact the quality of the espresso drink-making as the cinnamon honey latte I had was absolutely delicious and hubby enjoyed the americano even though he usually prefers a bolder blend.

Decent sized coffee-shop with comfy & cozy seating. Had to wait both times to get a decent seat.

No wifi available, but I'm guessing this is to increase the turnover of customers or else even I would have loved to spend a few hours sitting there!

Overall impression: good coffee, great baked goods, great ambience.

Been to Thinking Cup? Share your experiences!