“This walking tour is the way to go” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Walking Boston - Tours

Walking Boston - Tours
Ranked #21 of 137 Tours in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: Walking Boston offers a fun, private, educational tour of historic Boston. Very entertaining & informative guide. Walking Boston is Boston’s only historic tour given by a children’s book author and Boston historian with family ties to the Sons of Liberty and Paul Revere. Imagine yourself touring Boston with an actual relative of the legendary Paul Revere! Ben Edwards is a creative and engaging tour guide who offers private tours at a comfortable pace. His private guided walking tours for groups and families provide a personalized approach ensuring plenty of time for questions and the flexibility to stay longer at many of the sites.
Johannesburg, South Africa
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“This walking tour is the way to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

My wife and I and our two daughters, aged 14 and 12, took this tour. We are so glad we did. We opted for the extended tour option two (check out Ben's website for the various options). A walking tour is so much better than taking a bus - you can take the time to stop along the way, as well as get some exercise. Even better, on this tour the walking was broken by a stop for morning tea and lunch; more about that later. Ben was kind enough to meet us at our down town hotel and we caught the subway for a short ride to the start point at Boston common for our 9.30 start.

Ben's knowledge of Boston was unsurpassed. I could see that he knew his stuff and had a passion for what he was talking about. After the Boston Common we visited a grave yard or two, a nice touch being the pointing out of the graves of some of the signatories of the declaration of independence and getting the children involved in pointing out their signatures on a replica declaration that Ben was carrying with him (he was carrying quite a few exhibits with him that he used in an interactive way so we could better understand what we were viewing).

Whilst not taking you through the entire itinerary (take a look at Ben's website to see the highlights) it was then on to Kings Chapel, an interesting and quaint place of worship, with a very interesting place in the history of the American Revolution. At mid-morning we stopped at the "haunted" Parker hotel. This was an unexpected highlight that we really enjoyed - enjoying Boston cream pie on the table next to the table where JFK proposed to Jacqui and taking in the historic ambience. The Paul Revere house was also an interesting stop along the way, as was the attraction where they were printing the declaration of independence on an old printing press and demonstrating the making of chocolate - not something that would typically interest me, but it was so well done you can't help but enjoy it.

What I thought was very good was how Ben kept the children engaged with questions about what they had seen and were about to see, the objective being to score sufficient points for them to win a prize.

For lunch we stopped at the historic Union Oyster House, oldest restaurant in Boston. We sat in the secluded "JFK booth" where JFK used to often each lunch. Company and historic interest excellent, food average.

Then it was on to the USS Constitution, where we had two excellent short talks from serviceman from the US navy on the ship and its history. To round the tour off we headed off to Bunker Hill. Having viewed the museum we viewed the battle site. The children then insisting that they climb what turned out to be the 294 stairs to the top. Great view, but not for the unfit ! It was a good sign that notwithstanding that is was now 18h00 the children had enjoyed themselves and still had enough energy left to climb 294 stairs. Ben says that by the end of the tour not many families tackle the 294 steps, but you should seek to equal the achievements of the Davies family and do so !

The children didn't once get restless and were very interested about the stories being told. I asked the children what they liked - their response was "the questions / games, nice and interesting guy, the personal insights . Me? I really liked everything, but especially the Boston Cream Pie at the Parker hotel!!

Ben, your tour was excellent and gave us a real appreciation of old Boston in a short period of time. We have no suggestions as to how it could be improved and would highly recommend it to others.

5 Thank haydndavies2016

Fresno, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Personalized Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I met Ben Edwards on a tour with friends and family on July 4, 2014. I found Mr. Edwards to be very engaging with the kids in the group, ages 12-17, as well as the more mature members of the tour. I loved the way Ben weaved the story of his own family into the historical tour of Boston. I have been on similar tours in Boston many times during the last 20 years, but Ben's tour was the most lively, personal, and educational. The weather turned bad toward the end of the tour and Ben did not miss a beat! He had delicious Boston cream pies for all, which gave us the sugar rush we needed to persevere through the rain. We had a blast getting drenched! When we arrived at the Paul Revere House, the place was packed with tourists, and I got claustrophobic, so left the tour early. Paul Revere is a hero of mine and I have toured the house at least a dozen times, but I was disappointed because I knew that Revere was a distant relative of Ben's and that he had special knowledge of the house and Revere. I later contacted Ben and he very kindly arranged for a early morning tour, when the Revere House was all but empty, with the director of the historical home. What a treat! Ben met me at the entrance, introduced me to the director, and we toured the house together. I asked every question I ever had about Revere and his role in the revolution. I learned new information about historical preservation of the building, the furniture, authentication of historical artifacts, and a recent acquisition by the Revere Foundation of an important letter Paul Revere wrote to his wife and son in the aftermath of the battle at Lexington and Concord in 1775! Ben was gracious, kind, incredibly knowledgeable, and easy to be with throughout the private tour of the Paul Revere House and the Old North Church. I would highly recommend his tour to one and all. I expect that when I return to Boston I will contact Ben once again and plan another tour.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Melissa W
Dunwoody
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Highly recommend a Private Tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Have you ever learned the real history of a city? My family of five, joined by my two sisters, thoroughly enjoyed a 5+ hour walking tour of Boston with a masterful tour fuse, Ben Edwards! He went above and beyond to make an intricately weaved web of information and artifacts, rare and and unique information and fabulously personalized gifts for the kids! Not only was he an encylopedia of Boston's history but he really goes above and beyond to identify artifacts, unique tidbits of information about buildings, Americans, and the culture of Boston. My children (ages 14,12 and 9 found his tour interesting and engaging. At the end of the tour, Ben probably would have kept going if our feet werent getting tired! Really really enjoyed it. Truly made our trip to Boston a memorable event that we will cherish forever! Thank you Ben!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Kendra_A_Hoey
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Family fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We recently spent the day in Boston with Ben and had the most amazing tour! It was engaging and entertaining for all ages of our family, 2-75! Ben has an incredible knowledge and love of the people, places and events along the freedom trail. The children were mesmerized and my husband, my mother in law and myself especially enjoyed the collection of historical artifacts that Ben has collected to enhance the tour. As a family, there is really no better way to tour, the special "treats" that Ben sets up for the children along the path keeps them fascinated and happy all day.

3 Thank jocelyn e
USA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A Passionate Guide Who Will Bring History to Life for You”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

It couldn't have been a more foul weather day in August, but Ben was cheerful and enthusiastic in a driving rain as we explored the history, landmarks, and sights of the city. My husband and I learned a lot and Ben's insights really brought the history of the city to life for us. Although we didn't have children with us on this trip, it's clear that Ben would be well-suited for families with young kids. In addition, he's knowledgeable enough to tailor the tour on the fly to your particular interests while side-stepping anything that you've already seen / done. Recommended without reservation.

2 Thank mercurius_1