“East Boston location”

Ranked #588 of 3,292 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Cuisines: Australian
Neighbourhood: South Boston
Description: Authentic Australian Food in Boston. Eat-in at a communal table for 8 or takeaway for lunch and dinner. Serving savory meat and vegetable pies, sausage rolls and fresh food from the grill. Australian groceries are available from the The Pantry. Handmade, gourmet and authentic, it's a pie, mate!
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We ate at the location right between the Boston Harbour Shipyard and Logan Airport. Pies were available frozen, heated, or room temperature. Excellent value and flavor! Small picnic table outside, bar inside. Grungy docks around the neighborhood, but this was a safe, clean island, suitable for families and parties in the small outside tent. Delicious! (open lunch, dinner, and later night - not sure about the middle of winter, we went in May).

Reviewed 24 March 2014

It's interesting how we sometimes stumble upon great food finds. After taking our daughter to the Boston Museum of Science on a recent Saturday, we decided to eat at a small family run Italian restaurant in a blue collar neighborhood in East Boston, one that was featured a few years ago on the Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" with Guy Fieri. It's called Rino's Place, and we've been waiting for the opportunity to try the food there for a long time.

Rino's Place opens at 3PM. We got there at 3PM. The line was out the door and down the street, with a 3-hour wait. (They don't take reservations for parties smaller than 6.) I don't care how good the food is supposed to be...I'm not going to wait 3 hours to eat pasta. So, disappointed, we drove off, hoping to perhaps visit Rino's on a less popular weekday some other time.

Meanwhile, my wife, the artist, was scanning the neighborhood and found an interesting art gallery, Atlantic Works, nearby. We decided to check it out. There wasn't much to see, but the ladies that ran the joint told us that Rino's, in their opinion, was good but overrated. The exposure Rino's got from DDD was so huge that they even bought the convenience store across the street from the restaurant and converted it into a bar for those that chose to wait for their tables. Total cash cow.

Just down the road from the Atlantic works, the ladies told us, was a funky little joint that made authentic Australian meat pies. That sounded good. They said it was tucked away inside a funky old marina that featured bizarre metal sculptures on the roofs of the buildings. That sounded intriguing. Off we went.

A few lefts and rights...a little loss of GPS at one moment...and we arrived at the Boston Harbor Marina. Definitely the slow season, as many of the boats were still shrink-wrapped, but you could see this place had potential in the summertime, with huge metal sculptures of fish and mermaids on the property. And sure, enough, tucked away in a far corner was KO Catering and Pies, our Aussie meat pie joint.
It was cold and windy outside, but some brave souls were sitting at the picnic tables outside, enjoying their meals. We chose to buy a bunch of frozen pies and take them home to re-heat.

They were awesome: beef with cheese, braised lamb shank, beef stew...all surrounded by some of the most delicious and flakiest pie crusts you ever bit into.
KO has another location in south Boston as well. Either one is worth a visit.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We used to get pasties (the english version of a meat pie) from a store in Sarasota Florida but shipping was more than the pasties. This is a better replacement....The pies are filled with meat and just the right size. I only wish that i could make a crust that tasted this good and was as flakey. My only critical feedback would be that the curried pies need to have more curry. We live on Martha's Vineyard so we do not get there often (there are at least a dozen pies in the oven at the moment) and we will be sure to restock the next time we get to Boston. They make a great to have on hand.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Rating this entirely as an aussie pie place - its really good. However, its tiny, limited and can have a line on an average lunchtime. If you are craving a pie and are close to Southie then its worth a trip. I loved my lamb pie and I'm sure the rest of the pies are good also.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Being an Aussie living in the US, I get homesick for my local cuisine so I was very excited to discover KO's in Boston. The meat pies are absolutely delicious - all of the flavours are great, I've tried them all! Everything on the menu is great and tastes just like what I remember from home. The Sunday roast specials are great during the winter months, brings back many memories of dinners with my family. They also have a freezer section of pies you can take home with you to have between visits. The East Boston location is situated in the shipyard, so has a nice outdoor seating area by the water which is perfect during the Summer months.