“Spacious rooms and good value if you don't mind being out of the way!”

Days Hotel Boston-Harvard Fenway
Ranked #81 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“Spacious rooms and good value if you don't mind being out of the way!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

This hotel was great value for money but you do have to get a bus and a subway to get into Boston and buses at night aren't very regular. The area felt a bit isolated and I wouldn't have liked to wander much at night. The room was spacious if a little dated and musty smelling. Service was good, we were able to check in early. Only a Chinese restaurant attached to the hotel but a nice breakfast diner just across the street. Nearby Cambridge has lots of nice places to eat.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Cla2401

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Damascus, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

The rooms were very dirty, old, and smelled. The room itself was spacious, but the bathroom was tiny! I had to do my hair and makeup using the mirror in the main room. The bathroom also had dust and a filmy substance in various places and appeared as if it hadn't been cleaned in months. Parking was nearly impossible to find during the evening (there is a restaurant attached that uses the hotels parking). When returning from dinner we were unable to find a spot. We asked at the front desk and they told us to park illegally in the lot next door (that had big signs saying they would tow cars) and then move it later when people left the restaurant. My husband had to make three trips to check for spots before he finally found a parking spot in the hotel lot that we had paid for. Also, at the back of the hotel where the parking lot is, there was a entrance door that had no lock or "hotel key" entrance. Basically anyone could have come in that door. I would not recommend this hotel, and I will never be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mazaral8
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

While the hotel is located a convenient walk from harvard, it is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at. The room we were given smelled of horribly strong bathroom cleanser, but not just in the bathroom but everywhere. You can only open the windows a tiny bit, so that didn't help. When I went to call downstairs, I thankfully noticed that there was some bit of food or something on the mouthpiece of the phone receiver. We were shown 4 additional rooms, which all either stunk like the cleaning solvent or else cigarette smoke. We threatened to leave, and they said if we did, they would still charge us for the room. We settled when they gave us a larger suite which had only the cigarette smell. The elevator also smelled and didn't work sometimes, and the beds had lint on them.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Lodz, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

The Day's Inn is not elegant or fancy. But it is reasonably priced and well located. The walk to Harvard Square is about 20 minutes. There is a great diner - The Breakfast Club - located closeby. The facility was clean and pleasant. The room amenities were great (in terms of variety), but the bathroom had a distinct smell of cleaning supplies. It was not visibly dirty but the smell did not inspire cleanliness. Service was not so great, both times I stopped by the reception I had to wait for people to get off the phone. Free internet and parking was great. The area where the hotel is located was sketchy but it's an okay place to stay for one night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
cookievf
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

We're regulars here so this will be a long and info-packed review! Avid red sox fans, we stay here 3-5x a year. We even bring my mother, on occasion. My husband and I discovered Days Hotel when it's "sister" hotel, Days Inn was no longer available to the public.. I believe it was converted to low income or transitional housing.

Similar to staying at a Howard Johnson or Days Inn - when you book a stay for a discount rate ($159 - $180) you're obviously not expecting luxury accommodations! The rooms are clean & modern enough to satisfy our discriminating taste or we wouldn't return again and again (and my husband is a germ-a-phobe)! THIS IS WHY THE HOTEL IS ONLY RATED 3 STARS ~ IT'S NOT FANCY! I say, so what??? It meets all of our needs.

The front desk is ALWAYS extremely friendly and helpful and we love the King-size bed. We also have an in-room fridge most of the time, to keep our water bottles cold, 27" flat screen TV, nice, clean bathroom, free parking, what more could you ask for? And the price is GREAT! Starbucks, McDonalds and IHOP are around a mile away. There's also a great park for jogging or biking along the Charles River, just across the street. Cambridge is nearby - great, funky shops, amazing gourmet restaurants and a TON of bars.

And for breakfast, one of the BEST DINERS is about a block away! We discovered The Breakfast Club on Yelp. For more info.... Yelp it!!!

To get into the city, we used to take the bus from the days inn (a few blocks away) but it took quite a long time. We've also taken a cab - but they will typically drive the LONG WAY AROUND and we gave up on that as well. These days we begin our visit by driving straight into downtown (I let hotel know we'll be a late check-in) and park at The Prudential (discounted with a ball park ticket stub) or underneath The Commons. Make sure you verify closing time - if you expect to be out late! We then go to the dinner and the game and drive back to the hotel (10 min drive??). This works out BEST!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

This hotel was ok. A disappointment that such a great location does not keep their hotel fresh and up to date. The room was drab, scuffed furniture, curtains not correct on the rod, rust on the bathroom ceiling and air vent in the room. Old TV, lower mattress was uncovered and stained on the side that showed when you pulled back the comforter. It was a good place to just shut your eyes but not part of the Harvard University visiting experience. Parking is free but there is a popular asian restaurant in the lobby of the hotel and a skating rink next door which took over the parking until 9 pm. Entire lobby smells like authentic asian restaurant and waiting diners (not hotel guests) fill the lobby. It is a good hotel for closing your eyes and sleeping in. Ihop is down the street on Soldiers Field Drive for breakfast and Starbucks too!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Armypeople
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

I really don't understand what everyone is complaining about. The Days is a wonderful hotel for the money. Yes, it is in Allston-Brighton, a bit far out from downtown, but that is not the Days fault, it is up to you to figure out if the cost/ distance ratio and decide if it is worth it for you.

I stayed at this hotel for a night in April of 2008 for the sole purpose of sleep. And, at $120.00, you can't beat it. All I care about when I travel is cleanliness and the room was clean, dated, yes, but clean.

The distance was not a problem for me as I had a car. Hotel parking is a covered lot and is FREE, very uncommon in Boston. I am a Boston regular and will be moving there end of year for Graduate school, so I am familiar with the areas, and can attest that the neighborhood, while sparse, is perfectly safe.

If you are like me and would rather spend your money enjoying Boston rather than waste it on a fancy hotel, then the Days is perfectly fine.

• Stayed April 2008