“Not impressed”

Ranked #65 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 25 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Polly C, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (2,249)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Polly C, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Reviewed 23 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel mid May 2014 for a few days. We arrived and they valet parked our car with no problem. Check in took awhile and the lobby was very warm. We were told, by friends, to try to get tickets for Duck Tours if it was possible. We decided to ask the front desk agent about them to see if it was something we wanted to do, but she did not know about them. She asked the other agent and he blatantly ignored her in front of us. Then she walked around and found us brochures (which I already had) and gave that to us as if it answered all of our questions (it did not).

Our room was ok at best. We paid extra for a corner room that had some extra space. We ended up with a corner room that was very oddly shaped and it was on the third floor. Our view was the very close back of another building and a sidewalk. People could actually see in our room. The toilet handled was broken on our toilet and you had to pull it up to flush the toilet. More than once the handle fell off completely and my boyfriend had to figure out a way to shove it back on since th entire mechanism was already broken and on upside down.

I took a very early shower the second day we stayed there. The water was ice cold and I was very unhappy with this. However, an hour later my boyfriend had plenty of hot water. I am not sure why that happened but I was displeased that I got a cold shower and the water was fixed AFTER I was just about done getting ready for the day.

I would stay here again and the prices are competitive, for being in the city, but I have definitely stayed in better hotels. I expected much more from a Wyndham.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer P
Polly C, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Jennifer P,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I do regret that the hotel did not exceed your expectation. It is critical for us to receive this kind of feedback from our guests, so that we may continually have the opportunity to make improvements where needed. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you are back in the Boston area, please contact me directly. Thanks again.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Don't stay here. The valet service is not honest.

I made a reservation for this Wyndham Boston Beacon Hotel at 5 Blossom Street, Boston MA with a valet parking package, for arrival on April 26 and departure on April 27.

My reservation clearly was for the valet parking package which entitles you to "FREE" valet parking. It printed clearly on my reservation confirmation which was made online. The room rate for this valet parking is more than a regular room rate, but if you are charged honestly and correctly it costs less than paying for the $43 valet parking as a separate additional charge.

When I received my bill for checkout everything was fine on the bill. When I tried to collect my car to check out, the valet attendant insisted I had to pay again, even though I explained to him that the cost of valet parking was included in my room rate, and I showed him my paid bill. While I was waiting for my car, he went inside the hotel, and appeared later....when I asked him if everything was all set he was evasive. Later, when my credit card bill arrived, I was charged an extra $43 on my bill...the charge did not match the receipt they gave my by that $43, which is coincidentally, exactly what the hotel charges for Valet Parking.

I'm disgusted and outraged, not to mention $43 poorer. I've called the hotel twice today and still haven't reached a live person. If I can't get my own bill corrected, I can at least warn anyone else that falls for this fake promotion.

While I'm at it, I have to say the valet service is also not organized. They give you a card when you leave your vehicle, that tells you to text them with a certain number, but they don't receive or record the text....so when you go downstairs they inform you that they don't know anything about your car request and that you can't text them...you need to call instead.
On that particular day, they told me it would take 20 minutes to get my car. It took them 35 minutes to get the car, after they told me it would be 20 minutes. Between that and the problems with the dishonest valet, we were late for an appointment....I was in town with my daughter to help her locate an apartment in the area. Needless to say it was a lousy start to the day.
The room was fine and the rest of the staff was pleasant enough. It was also nice that Wi-Fi was no charge. And, It also looks like they recently remodeled the dining and lounge area although since we didn't try it, I can't speak to the service or the food.

If it wasn't for the intentional extra billing by the valet parking service I would rate the hotel higher.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ClumsyTraveler2014
Polly C, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear ClumsyTraveler2,

I am sorry you encountered such difficulty with your parking experience. You reserved a parking package with us. We did speak and I immediately resolved the billing issue for you. I reviewed your issues with the Valet company. We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention so that the staff can fully understand how you felt. Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. Feel free to contact me directly on our next stay in Boston.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

excellent hotel; in a good location, a bit pricy but overall I really enjoyed my stay and was able to walk to many places easily

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Polly C, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear ClumsyTraveler2,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had a great experience at the Wyndham. Met friends in Boston for a long weekend, we arrived early and the hotel keep our bags until rooms were ready as we ran around. Staff was very helpful and polite, Valentino the bellhop was the best! Hotel was close to Charles st T station and not too far to Bowdoin which made it easy to move around the city. Rooms were clean, they did a good job on renovating although the bathroom door (slide style with glass) didn't offer a lot of privacy. The Hill Tavern, Starbuck and Au Bon Pain are right outside the hotel which was nice for breakfast or afternoon drinks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Polly C, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear cpernell,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was at the Wyndham Beacon Hill Hotel. We do offer such a great location when visiting the Boston area. I have shared your comments with Valentino. He was very excited to see your kind words. We hope to see you again in the future. Thanks again.