“Sid Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill Review”

Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill
Ranked #64 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I really appreciated the free, upgraded room + the free mini-fridge and microwave combo upgrade (usually $20 / day). That being said, they could do a better job on communicating with guests when their rooms are ready, especially with a 4 PM Check-In Time. In addition, $15 for breakfast + $10 to launder one clothing item are both absolutely outrageous. Needless to say, I have much more respect for personal and corporate funds than that!

Moreover, for quite a few years now, they've always had one washer (out of 2) and one dryer (also out of 2) broken. So you tell me: a hotel that charges at least $200 / night that's nearly 100% booked for the entire year, and has been open from many years, do they honestly think one working laundry pair is sufficient to service over 150 rooms?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sidhartha P
Thomas C, General Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2014

Dear Sid,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I apologize that the machines in the guest laundry have been out of service on your stay. We have had some recent problems with them and we are in the process of replacing these units. I was surprised to hear your concern about our breakfast pricing as we are one if the lowest Hotel breakfast buffets in the city and are a very good value. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust the next time that you visit Boston.
Tom

1  Thank Paul R

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Polly C, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2014

Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed here 8/25-8/28 in a standard double room. We were here for a little end of the summer family vacation (husband and our 7 yr old son). We found the hotel to be excellent for our needs. the room looked like it was recently updated, bathtub area looked new, We had plenty of room for the 3 of us. Lobby and restaurant looked great. We found the front staff to be excellent with all of my husband's questions! Husband also mentioned it was our son's 7th birthday when we arrived and they sent a card and cupcake to our room! We ate breakfast twice and lunch once in the restaurant. Food was good and well presented, waitress staff was great. We found the hotel to well situated to all the area attractions. We either walked, took the subway or a cab. The only things that would add to this hotel would be a room refrigerator and safe. Overall we were happy with this hotel and would come back.

Dear choo9,
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us. We are excited to see the staff made you feel so special.
Thanks again,
Polly C

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Booked this hotel due to it's proximity to Mass Eye and Ear (walking). I am flabbergasted by the poor ratings. My experience was nothing short of FABULOUS. Arrived. Had a quick, cheerful check-in. 1 room wasn't ready (we were early) but we were checked into one room and they ended up bringing us the keys to the second room within a few minutes. I believe we were given the wrong rooms as I reserved a refrigerator (for medications) and free breakfast and the room advertised luxurious robes...BUT once I called, they fixed IMMEDIATELY by bringing the robes, refrigerators and the breakfast certificates, WITH A SMILE AND APOLOGY. So no complaints.
The room was small and hard to get around, especially after surgery with a wheelchair (we hadn't expected).
The wifi was super. I was able to work a little while here. I need wifi to do anything and I had NO ISSUES.

The room had a decent view, we were 11th floor 1118 and 1120. The bed was very comfy. The AC/Heat needs some work....it is either FREEZING or Stifling hot...there is no consistent temperature with the "AUTOMATIC" in either room. (ONE reason for not 5 stars)

The location is great. Out the back door is a small mall area with CVS (prescriptions) and Au Bon Pain is right outside the door for sandwiches. There is also a whole foods in the same mall. CONVENIENT!

The Restaurant in the hotel is kind of strange I checked out the menu and couldn't figure out if the descriptions were all for burgers, sandwiches or what. We wanted an in house restaurant, but because we couldn't figure out WHAT the menu was we skipped it and went to NICO's (North End) and AuBonPain take out after surgery. CLARIFY the MENU (REASON #2 I didn't give 5 stars)

Now....even though the room was small, it was clean. Even though the room wasn't as we ordered, they made it right (IMMEDIATELY).

First. The housekeeper who brought the fridge and robes and coupons...POLITE, FAST, PROMPT, apologetic for the mistake (that wasn't even his!)...He was AMAZING!

Second, I ordered coffee to be delivered in the AM (6 am). At the requested time I received a phone call (I had do not disturb on door) Did I still want coffee and she clarified exactly the specifics I requested (I am particular). It was delivered immediately EXACTLY as ordered and with a smile.

Third. We left for early AM Mass Eye appt, and came BACK to hotel around 9 am and sat for breakfast. The lady who delivered my coffee, came to our table and asked how the coffee was and if she could do anything for us. AMAZING she remembered. She did special helpful things to make us smile and she really made my day. A VERY SPECIAL LADY!

At this point my husband was wheelchair bound and totally blind. Everyone from the doorman when we returned to the 10 servers in the restaurant for breakfast, all gave us attention and helped make our meal work and made sure we had everything we needed/wanted, we never had to ask! I can't express how above and beyond they went. It was WONDERFUL to be made to feel special. I've been to the Ritz...I've been to Snotty hotels and I have never enjoyed myself as much as I did here. IT WAS ALL DUE TO THE SERVICE.

I was given ice for the meds for the ride home without a blink. They didn't send me to the ice machine on the 11th floor...they graciously provided and made sure we were set when we left.

I called Valet and ordered the car. Then I brought the luggage down (I couldn't wheel my husband down and carry luggage). The Valet area is very small (you are in Boston, everything is tight)....The valet treated me like a queen. helped me load, assured me it was NO PROBLEM what-so-ever to leave the car and take my time retrieving my husband. I came back about 15 minutes later with my husband and they helped me wheel him close to the car, OFFERED to move the car due to a small puddle near his door (I refused..it was THAT small)...they took care of the wheel chair the minute my husband stood, so it was out of his way and I didn't have to lift it. WHAT KIND OF SERVICE IS THIS?? AMAZING.
Then...the BEST part??? The wheel chair was BORROWED from Mass Eye and Ear, The hotel and Valet said NO WORRIES, THEY would return it for me!! I didn't have to stuff it in the trunk......You tell me HOW MANY HOTELS WOULD DO THAT???

OVERALL, I was EXTREMELY PLEASED with the hotel, due to THE SERVICE. I've been tired of the rude people with Marriott lately...so this was a nice change. Sure the rooms are small...but it's Boston and it's an older building. It was sufficient. The restaurant was the bummer. We really intended to eat in the restaurant so we didn't have to leave the building after surgery...instead we had AuBonPain and local pizza in the room.

I hope management acknowledges the service we received 8/26 -8/28, 2014 EVERYONE was fantastic. Valet was exceptional. I was a littl eput off to pay $144 for parking (3 cars)...but it was worth much more than that just with the attentive service we received. THANK YOU!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mainah65
Thomas C, General Manager at Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2014

Dear Mainah,

Thank you for sharing your stay with us. I am very proud of our staff and the job they do everyday assisting numerous guest just like you. We are all very aware of how stressful and challenging it can be visiting the medical complex next door and they do an amazing job assiting and caring for our guest. I a sorry you didn't try our dining room. We have a very good culinary team and they prepare amazing offerings in The Dean's List. (2 of our sandwiches were runner-up for sandwich of the year in Retaurant Hospitality magazine.) I look forward to your next visit with us and I hope that you and your family have a wonderful new year.

Cheers,