“Room with no heating with outside temp 35F-"it's set for the warm season"”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Downtown
Ranked #39 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“Room with no heating with outside temp 35F-"it's set for the warm season"”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife booked two nights at this hotel for my business trip. The room was very expensive because of the Boston marathon week-end. The morning I arrived the temperature outside was in the low 40's, so I was surprised to see that the room was very cold and the heating/AC system was off. I asked the front desk and they very politely explained to me that the manager had switched off the heating in the whole building few days earlier because of warm weather and now the heating could not be switched back on because "it's set for the warm season". I went back to my room to do some work but the wi-fi was inactive, when I asked front desk, they recommended I called a phone number from my room, when I called the number, the same front desk guy picked up (!!) and transferred me to a help desk where they confirmed that there was a problem with the Internet service in the whole hotel and they were working to fix it (eventually the Internet started working again at around 11 PM). I then tried to go to the "fitness center", I was directed toward a door on the second floor, which I opened just to find myself outside in the cold so I gave up. As the evening progressed, the temperature in my room kept dropping almost to freezing levels, thus I went back to front desk and was introduced to the manager who confirmed that he could not switch the heating on for the night. I pointed out that when I had taken the elevator to go to the "fitness center" I had noticed that there was heating in the elevators but he was adamant that unfortunately I could not get any heating in my room. I asked for a space heater and the manager promised to bring one "if we have any left" but it never came in. When the night came, I resolved to try to sleep anyway since the day after I had a very important business meeting scheduled and could not afford to wonder around in the middle of the night looking for another hotel. I thought "it is like camping after all"....and that's when the toilet water started running every 5 minutes (needless to say it kept going that way for the whole night despite my repeated attempts to make it stop).
I checked out the morning after and found a different hotel for the second night. At check-out, I pointed out all the problems I had experienced to the front desk clerk, who apologized and reversed my charges. While I think that was honest of them, this undoubtedly remains the worst hotel experience in my life.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Angel B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Dix Hills, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Difficult to chose a hotel, sight unseen but we were very happy with our choice to stay at DoubleTree in Boston. The location was fine and the price was right, compared to others that were very expensive and got "ok" reviews on TA. Our cookie upon arrival was delicious and a bright marketing tool. The beds were comfy and the hotel is newly renovated and very clean. The front desk staff was pleasant and accommodating. I would stay again.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We were at the hotel for surgery across the street @ Tuft's. The staff was more than wonderful, from the front desk to the waitstaff to the valet parkers. The room was newly renovated and spotless and the food was tasty. They even made sure the wheelchair was returned to Tuft's. without my asking. The experience was great, and I thank everyone for their consideration.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Boston, United States
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just a three day stay and it was enjoyable short walk to good fun and food close to china town the bus station and the convention center good hot cookie and nice pool and gym close by. Again nothing bad to say about it

Plantsville, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We had a great stay at the DoubleTree. We only stayed one night on a quick getaway trip, but the hotel lived up to it's standards. The only issue we had is that the floor was squeaky throughout the entirety of the room. When we informed the front desk on our way out, they immediately called their engineering staff to go look into the issue. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, United States
Reviewed 18 April 2014

A few friends and I paid top dollar for 3 nights stay at the Doubletree Downtown hotel, when a friend got there early to check in he was told that the per night stay price was going to be increased because I booked a room for 3 people and he wasn't one on the "list" even though I KNEW I put his name on there. He pleaded with the manager to no avail and was charged an extra $25-30 per night. Now we have been going to a convention in Boston for the past 5 years and always looking for a nice hotel to stay in for the weekend and we will continue to go every year. This was explained to the manager. He should have let it slide in order to get thousands of dollars of more business. But he was an idiot. You will see other negative reviews from other people who stayed at this hotel for this convention. It's just bad business.

Fredericksburg, United States
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My first impression of the hotel was not great. The carpet was stained and I thought I may regret booking on line without seeing the location first. After I made it to the room I felt much better. The rooms are nice and clean and the beds are very comfortable. My two complaints were that they really need to do a carpet cleaning (at entrance and in hallways) and they charged for wifi. I reserved 2 rooms and spent over $1700, but had to go to the lobby or pay an additional fee to complete work. Since most hotels have free wifi (especially at this level) I was not pleased and they did not get any additional funds from me.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family