“Service without a Smile”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Downtown
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I chose the Doubletree based on previous positive experiences with the brand in different cities, namely Chicago and Anaheim. Consequently, I was shocked by how rudely I was treated at the Boston location. First off, I booked my reservation through a third-party where "All rooms are guaranteed to sleep the number of guests you provided during your search." Clearly on my reservation it states there are 2 adults and 1 child in my reservation. When we got to our room, there was a king bed and no rollaway bed or fold-out couch nor it appeared any space for a rollaway. When I called down to inform them that the room would not accommodate the number of guests on my reservation I was rudely told that there was no guarantee because I "booked through a third party." Mind you, I had my confirmation which clearly stated that was not the case and insisted the same and they were somehow able to find me a room with 2 beds.

If a hotel is not going to instruct their staff to treat guests who have used third party booking agencies with the same respect and courtesy they would show other guests, then please don't avail yourselves of third party booking agencies! I travel frequently and NEVER book directly with a hotel. Every so often I come upon this problem and it never ceases to annoy me.

That said, I love the beds at the Doubletree and the Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries. The location of this particular hotel is fabulous, being just steps from a "T" Stop. The welcome cookies are always a treat. The common areas of the hotel could use a little updating and the super bright lighting throughout the hotel is downright obnoxious.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,644)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel is nice and in a great location. Walking distance to downtown with a few good coffee shops, restaurants and bars. Also walking distance to the Common park.

Nice lobby area and good place to hang out for a drink or to work on your laptop with the free WiFi. WiFi was not free in the rooms.

My only issue was that I don't think room service was changing our sheets and there were no options to choose if we want them to be changed or not.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Parham007
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I really like this hotel and will continue to stay there on my frequent trips to Boston. However, I will never stay in room 107 (or others int hat wing.) It faces drioectly out into a child care area. So, in addition to your room window facing directly into a playground, you also get the noise of 30 or so children, and their care-givers, while in your room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Nice clean room, great location downtown and close to the airport. Had an early flight out and was given breakfast coupons at checkin because I am a gold member. Rushed down to breakfast in the morning and just started eating from the buffet after we were seated. Would have been nice to have known in advance that only certain items were included for the free breakfast. Other than breakfast great stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I didn't have a single issue with the hotel. It was great for the location and closeness to my meeting down the street. The price is great compared to many other hotels that I have stayed at over the years in Boston for business. The restaurant was lagging in that my food was cold and the service was slow.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014

loved the staff and stay. noisy people in the hall or next door disrupted our sleep but I would definitely stay again. Loved the cookies! Really close to Tufts Med Center and Tufts Dental School,theater district and Restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Travelled to Boston to attend our daughters post graduation ceremony at UMass Boston - Convenient location when travelling in from North on 93. Friendly service, comfortable and clean rooms, convenient restaurant/bar. Overall very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family