“dissappointed..bad.. very bad..”

Friend Street Hostel
Ranked #28 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2013

i had been to many hostels around the world, by far this is the worst. not that i care about the location(not so good street), not that i care about the space (very small, this should be $15/night), not that i care about the bed (cheap mattress, uncomfortable bed sheet), not that i care about the overpriced charged (i pay less in other part of states for better room)... but its the people that i hate.. attitude.. when i first came, i pre checked in.. putt my stuff inside their storage.. then i asked the girl in front for a direction and the wifi password.. she had no clue about anything.. even direction.. thats bad..
came back few hours for check in, the two receptionist were busy discussing about paycheck and i have to wait for few minutes (should u be discussing about pay check when ur customer is waiting for u)
then one guy named Mike (not friendly at all), showed me my room, asked if i know where the restroom is, when i said no he answered "i dont feel like going upstairs but i will just tell u the direction" - i still can accept this
few hours after that, i knew i past the cancellation period (yeah decided to leave the hostel earlier and cancel the next day cause i had bad feeling about this place), asked him and he said yeah i will try, im not authorized but u will get refunded". felt release
till the very next day i checked that my reservation was not cancelled. emailed the boss (matt) in the morning for him to sort things out, he did not reply my email, came back in the evening he was in the office in front of his computer, wasn't even care to reply my email.
told the receptionist (anders) about my problem, he talked to the manager (matt- yeah he was in his room, didnt event came out to talk to me), anders came back and said matt did not
approved my cancellation, Mike should have told me that i cant cancel my book a day before.
the only guy apologizing was anders - the best staff that they have. ended up paying two hostels, just because of their stupidness.
as off the rest of the staffs - not friendly, even the upper management..
reading all the reviews i know this place is bad, but looking at the reply from the management (Bria) i was hoping they had improved.. but noo.. they did not do anything about anything..
my advise: if u can get anywhere else, even the price is slightly higher, go for it, my experience in boston was bad (mainly because what i experienced in this place)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank iskymo
FriendStreetHostel, Owner at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I'm sorry you felt your experience did not meet your expectations, and I would like to assure you that we take comments such as yours very seriously.

The staff that you interacted with have been spoken to regarding their etiquette, and we are currently in the process of retraining all staff on customer service skills. The satisfaction of our guests is our utmost priority, and I am very sorry to hear that you did not experience this during your stay.

While our guests' experiences on average have continued to improve, we are still a new hostel, and understand that we have some more improvements to make. We've started on these improvements immediately by updating our facilities including showers, toilets, air conditioning, mattresses, and blankets.

I do hope to be able to further rectify your issue. If you would like to further discuss your stay, please send us a direct email, and address it to BRIA/MATT.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Best,

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. Good restaurants, night life and sightsing near by! Cereal, coffee, juice and toast included for breakfast. Nice staff, but slow service at times. Good safety- strict rules (no alcohol in the hostel). We did not experience bed bugs(see that there's some reviews about that). We would return:-)

FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thanks for your feedback! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you again very soon! While we cannot currently allow guests to consume alcohol on our premises, we are working on obtaining an alcohol license, so hopefully you will be able to enjoy your next stay even more.

Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Found a bunch of bed bugs in our dorm on many of the beds. Also the washrooms and showers were disgusting. Hadn't been cleaned in a long time. The rooms were all humid (I imagine great for pests). When I complained about the bed bugs the management said they were not bed bugs as they had removed them all recently. I went back upstairs and killed one to show them. Then they finally admitted it was a bed bug but at the same time refused to refund my money for the night. Stay far away from this place. A few staff members were great. They did not make up for the oblivious owner unfortunately.

• Stayed: April 2013
11  Thank MCicc

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It's unfortunate that your visit did not meet your expectations, and I hope I can do something to rectify this for you. I can assure you we have handled any pest problems, and hope you are willing to give us a second chance! Please contact us directly so we can reconcile your concerns. You can send an email (attn: Matt) to info@friendstreethostel.com.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Stay away from this hostel! During my stay we found bed bugs in multiple beds in our 6 bed dorm, they were big in size so they clearly had bit and fed from our dorm. This happened at around 1:30 in the morning! We told the staff and they could not reach a manager, our only option was to call a cab and go somewhere else. And we did. They refused to refund the night we did not stay there. Not only that but the assistant manager Kevin hung up on me when I was trying to explain the situation and wanting a refund. I will never come back to this hostel and I hope that no one else has to go through that very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2013
11  Thank Steph0727

Hi Steph,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I completely understand your concerns, and am very sorry this happened to you. I hope you are willing to communicate with us further about your issue so that we may reconcile it properly. Please send Matt or myself an email at info@friendstreethostel.com. While it's unfortunate that you had the experience you did, I can assure you that we inspect for pests on a regular basis. It is always difficult to tell just who is bringing pests in on their luggage, but we take matters such as these very seriously, and always treat them immediately. As of today, I can assure you that our premises are pest-free. I hope you are willing to reach out and give us a second chance. If there is anything we can to do further assist you, please let us know!

Thanks,

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Hostel has a decent location, not too far from a downtown - it's around 15-20min walk. Rooms are quite clean, wooden bunk beds, with a middle size locker. Mattresses are rather poor quality, but this can be expected for this price range. Restrooms and showers are quite clean and in average condition, hot water all the time. A bit small main room with WiFi. There is no WiFi in rooms or perhaps the signal is so poor my laptop couldn't connect. Breakfast is included but the selection is small (cereals & pbj). Overall I had a decent stay but it is a bit too pricey for the offer.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Thanks for taking the time to review our hostel! Since your stay, we've made some very big changes (e.g. replaced the bunk beds, added a cafe/lounge area, improved the WiFi connectivity, and expanded some of our breakfast offerings). While I understand our prices are a bit more than what you may be used to paying in other areas, I can assure you that we remain the most affordable option in Boston - an otherwise very expense city for accommodations.

If there's anything I can do to further assist you, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at info@friendstreethostel.com. I hope to see you again soon!

-Bria

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Positive aspects:
-Free breakfast (although there was a small selection) but you could pay to have more.
-Very good location, close to the metro station and bars.
-Friendly staff
-Possibility of leaving luggage in a secure room upon check-in and check-out
-Main room with board games, suggestion board, television

Negative aspects:
-Dishonesty upon arrival (they wanted to charge us more than we had agreed upon and it took a long time to resolve the situation in our favor)
-Bathroom was not the cleanest around (bring flip flops!!!!)
-During the day, if you want to rest, the hostel is pretty noisy because the walls are very thin
-The beds are pretty old (bunk beds) and they creak
-Price not completely worth the value and we actually had a discounted price because we were a big group

All in all, I would recommend this hostel if you are not too picky and just looking to have fun with friends!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beatrice B
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review us Beatrice. I'm glad our staff made you and your group feel right at home, and that you enjoyed our location and other amenities. I'm sorry to hear of the confusion around the total room price, but am glad that our staff were able to sort it out for you. As with most hostels, you are going to get a bit of noise from the bunk beds (even though ours are less than a year old). We maintain our bunk beds very carefully to cut down on this noise, and are happy to offer earplugs to any light sleepers.

If there's anything else we can do to improve your experience, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Myself & my best friend recently stayed at the hostel. The hotel we were supposed to stay at didn't work out and as it was close to midnight we could not make a booking online for that particular night. She suggested a hostel. I have never stayed in one before, not do I intend to again, however I loved every minute of my stay there.
Staff was helpful with amenities and directions to places. The room was shared with like 8 other people, which was a first for me, but for the winter weather outside it was lovely and warm in this huge room.
Overall I'd probably recommend the place, as it is nice and possibly would go back if I were stuck for accommodation again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SeekingForExcellence

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I'm so glad we could give you a memorable first hostel experience, and hope to see you again in the future!