“Just like home” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
Lisbon, Portugal
“Just like home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nice people in a very friendly space so cousi like home. I adore all the host and the details in everything. Good work guys and continious like that. One the most amazing things was their receve us with chocolates chips cookies make for them and every night they prepare a soup for you if you want.
This place I recomend if yu want something for good price, in an excelent location with very nice people.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pepa2030
FriendStreetHostel, Guest Relations Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you so much! Hope you can come back soon =)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Wouldn't recommend staying here. Prices are far too high. I've stayed in a few hostels around the world and this is pretty close to the worst. Everything is outdated, beds rattle about at any slight movement. Try stay somewhere else if you can

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank abro08
FriendStreetHostel, Guest Relations Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hi abro08, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are responding to comments like yours as we continue to update and improve our facilities, including getting new mattresses. I'm sorry that you felt the prices were too high, but our accommodations are among the lowest priced available within Boston. We hope you'll stay with us again on your next visit to Boston!

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Facilities here were clean, staff were friendly and helpful. But I wouldn't return just because of the price, US$50 for a dorm bed?! Really? The aircon in the rooms is really, really loud too. But the location is excellent, right in the middle of restaurants and bars, and not far from the waterfront. Subway station is really close too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CeeCee09
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Hi Cee Cee,

Thanks for leaving your comments for us! I'm glad our staff made you feel welcome, and I understand how you must feel about our prices. I completely agree that we might be priced a bit higher than hostels in other parts of the country or world, however this is due solely to the fact that Boston is, in general, a very expensive city. We are proud to offer the most affordable accommodation option in Boston, and hope you're able to come visit us again soon!

Best,
Bria
Kiel, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Well, it's an average American hostel, nothing special. Nice staff, decent and apparently clean rooms. No surprises there I think. I liked the breakfast, which was served in the cafe underneath the hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Leo S
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Hi Leo,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments for us. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us, and hope you were able to enjoy Boston as well!

Best of luck with your travels!

-Bria
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

i had been to many hostels around the world, by far this is the worst. not that i care about the location(not so good street), not that i care about the space (very small, this should be $15/night), not that i care about the bed (cheap mattress, uncomfortable bed sheet), not that i care about the overpriced charged (i pay less in other part of states for better room)... but its the people that i hate.. attitude.. when i first came, i pre checked in.. putt my stuff inside their storage.. then i asked the girl in front for a direction and the wifi password.. she had no clue about anything.. even direction.. thats bad..
came back few hours for check in, the two receptionist were busy discussing about paycheck and i have to wait for few minutes (should u be discussing about pay check when ur customer is waiting for u)
then one guy named Mike (not friendly at all), showed me my room, asked if i know where the restroom is, when i said no he answered "i dont feel like going upstairs but i will just tell u the direction" - i still can accept this
few hours after that, i knew i past the cancellation period (yeah decided to leave the hostel earlier and cancel the next day cause i had bad feeling about this place), asked him and he said yeah i will try, im not authorized but u will get refunded". felt release
till the very next day i checked that my reservation was not cancelled. emailed the boss (matt) in the morning for him to sort things out, he did not reply my email, came back in the evening he was in the office in front of his computer, wasn't even care to reply my email.
told the receptionist (anders) about my problem, he talked to the manager (matt- yeah he was in his room, didnt event came out to talk to me), anders came back and said matt did not
approved my cancellation, Mike should have told me that i cant cancel my book a day before.
the only guy apologizing was anders - the best staff that they have. ended up paying two hostels, just because of their stupidness.
as off the rest of the staffs - not friendly, even the upper management..
reading all the reviews i know this place is bad, but looking at the reply from the management (Bria) i was hoping they had improved.. but noo.. they did not do anything about anything..
my advise: if u can get anywhere else, even the price is slightly higher, go for it, my experience in boston was bad (mainly because what i experienced in this place)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank iskymo
FriendStreetHostel, Owner at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I'm sorry you felt your experience did not meet your expectations, and I would like to assure you that we take comments such as yours very seriously.

The staff that you interacted with have been spoken to regarding their etiquette, and we are currently in the process of retraining all staff on customer service skills. The satisfaction of our guests is our utmost priority, and I am very sorry to hear that you did not experience this during your stay.

While our guests' experiences on average have continued to improve, we are still a new hostel, and understand that we have some more improvements to make. We've started on these improvements immediately by updating our facilities including showers, toilets, air conditioning, mattresses, and blankets.

I do hope to be able to further rectify your issue. If you would like to further discuss your stay, please send us a direct email, and address it to BRIA/MATT.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Best,
Bria
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. Good restaurants, night life and sightsing near by! Cereal, coffee, juice and toast included for breakfast. Nice staff, but slow service at times. Good safety- strict rules (no alcohol in the hostel). We did not experience bed bugs(see that there's some reviews about that). We would return:-)

FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thanks for your feedback! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you again very soon! While we cannot currently allow guests to consume alcohol on our premises, we are working on obtaining an alcohol license, so hopefully you will be able to enjoy your next stay even more.
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Found a bunch of bed bugs in our dorm on many of the beds. Also the washrooms and showers were disgusting. Hadn't been cleaned in a long time. The rooms were all humid (I imagine great for pests). When I complained about the bed bugs the management said they were not bed bugs as they had removed them all recently. I went back upstairs and killed one to show them. Then they finally admitted it was a bed bug but at the same time refused to refund my money for the night. Stay far away from this place. A few staff members were great. They did not make up for the oblivious owner unfortunately.

• Stayed April 2013
11 Thank MCicc
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It's unfortunate that your visit did not meet your expectations, and I hope I can do something to rectify this for you. I can assure you we have handled any pest problems, and hope you are willing to give us a second chance! Please contact us directly so we can reconcile your concerns. You can send an email (attn: Matt) to info@friendstreethostel.com.