“Scam!”

Friend Street Hostel
Ranked #28 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I checked in to this hostel and was discusted. I walked in to an empty front desk, waited 10 minutes to be greeted,then when I was finally greeted I was told another price then I was quoted over the phone. I was told the room would be 33.00 a night on the phone and was asked to pay 47.00 when i arrived. Luckily I had my booking number so they honored the quoted price.(how gracious) After a being checked in I was lead up stairs to be shown my room, we passed a dead roach on the stairway.I was shown where the bathrooms were,I was told about the free breakfast in the cafe and also invited to a free dinner the owner was having in the cafe! So when the employee left I had a look at the room. The beds have no mattresses, the have thin pads. I feel like they would be better described as yoga mats then beds. And they are placed on hard metal rails, it's painful. Then there are the lockers, they look like they came from an old high school. Most of them were broken and all of them were dented.I took a walk over to the bathroom and found 2 stalls for the entire hostel. the bathrooms did not even have sinks to wash your hands. The shower stalls had no locking doors and if you were bathing all you have between you and the rest of the hostel is a simple plastic sheet. Looking in the shower I saw roach number 2. I decided I would not stay at this hostel, the filth and lack of proper beds was not something I wanted to deal with. I went to the front desk and found a sign telling me the staff was down in the cafe for a party. So I made my way to the cafe (now,this was the dinner the staffer invited me to) The moment I walk in I was yelled out (this is a staff only event!) I said I need to check out! Go upstairs yelled a voice from the back of the room. I went upstairs and a few minutes later the employee that checked me in asked me why I wanted to leave, I said I did not want to get into it but I would like a refund and I would be on my way. He told me I would have to go down stairs and talk to the owner. After my last trip downstairs I did not want to go back.When the owner finally came up to talk to me he asked why I wanted to leave..I told him about the bugs and the small mattress pads and he said well lets have a look. grabbed a flashlight and went upstairs! When he came back he told me that he found no bugs and that I had made some serious accusations! I said "I would just like my money back and I will be on my way" he told me that there was a 24 hour cancellation policy and that I would have to pay for 2 nights! I was only in the hostel for 10 minutes before I had seen enough filth to cringe! I wound up only paying for the night(which is still bogus!) but in the end I won, I found a much nicer hostel (hi-boston on stuart street) That is brand new has tons of amenities and a great staff for less money! I would avoid this hostel, and from the way the owner runs it I doubt it will be open much longer anyway.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Jimmy R
FriendStreetHostel, Owner at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Hi Jimmy, it is unfortunate to hear that you felt you had such a negative experience at Friend Street Hostel & Cafe. However, reading over your review I feel it is inaccurate in many areas. We do not have roaches or any other pests and we most certainly have sinks in the bathrooms. Each bathroom is equipped with three sinks and three shower stalls, each stall having two clean shower curtains for added privacy. In regards to your comments about our cancellation policy, you will find this clearly stated on our website and on the sign in sheet you sign when checking in. Most any lodging has a cancellation policy that it must follow to be fair to all. During the Fall Feast that both staff and guests were made to feel totally welcome to, and that was occurring when you arrived, we offered you several opportunities as a guest to eat for free and enjoy our company as fellow travelers. It is unfortunate that as a traveler yourself you missed all of these value added benefits in your 20 or so minutes with us. But, it is my hopes that should you be in the area again you would give us the chance to show you an even better side to the hostel. Our staff work tirelessly to ensure that every guests has a great stay. In the future, feel free to let us know in person how we can better accommodate you rather than slamming us on the internet. All would end much better I assure you. Safe travels!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nice people in a very friendly space so cousi like home. I adore all the host and the details in everything. Good work guys and continious like that. One the most amazing things was their receve us with chocolates chips cookies make for them and every night they prepare a soup for you if you want.
This place I recomend if yu want something for good price, in an excelent location with very nice people.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pepa2030
FriendStreetHostel, Guest Relations Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you so much! Hope you can come back soon =)

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Wouldn't recommend staying here. Prices are far too high. I've stayed in a few hostels around the world and this is pretty close to the worst. Everything is outdated, beds rattle about at any slight movement. Try stay somewhere else if you can

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank abro08
FriendStreetHostel, Guest Relations Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Hi abro08, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are responding to comments like yours as we continue to update and improve our facilities, including getting new mattresses. I'm sorry that you felt the prices were too high, but our accommodations are among the lowest priced available within Boston. We hope you'll stay with us again on your next visit to Boston!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Facilities here were clean, staff were friendly and helpful. But I wouldn't return just because of the price, US$50 for a dorm bed?! Really? The aircon in the rooms is really, really loud too. But the location is excellent, right in the middle of restaurants and bars, and not far from the waterfront. Subway station is really close too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CeeCee09
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Hi Cee Cee,

Thanks for leaving your comments for us! I'm glad our staff made you feel welcome, and I understand how you must feel about our prices. I completely agree that we might be priced a bit higher than hostels in other parts of the country or world, however this is due solely to the fact that Boston is, in general, a very expensive city. We are proud to offer the most affordable accommodation option in Boston, and hope you're able to come visit us again soon!

Best,
Bria

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Well, it's an average American hostel, nothing special. Nice staff, decent and apparently clean rooms. No surprises there I think. I liked the breakfast, which was served in the cafe underneath the hostel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Leo S
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Hi Leo,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments for us. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us, and hope you were able to enjoy Boston as well!

Best of luck with your travels!

-Bria

Reviewed 1 July 2013

i had been to many hostels around the world, by far this is the worst. not that i care about the location(not so good street), not that i care about the space (very small, this should be $15/night), not that i care about the bed (cheap mattress, uncomfortable bed sheet), not that i care about the overpriced charged (i pay less in other part of states for better room)... but its the people that i hate.. attitude.. when i first came, i pre checked in.. putt my stuff inside their storage.. then i asked the girl in front for a direction and the wifi password.. she had no clue about anything.. even direction.. thats bad..
came back few hours for check in, the two receptionist were busy discussing about paycheck and i have to wait for few minutes (should u be discussing about pay check when ur customer is waiting for u)
then one guy named Mike (not friendly at all), showed me my room, asked if i know where the restroom is, when i said no he answered "i dont feel like going upstairs but i will just tell u the direction" - i still can accept this
few hours after that, i knew i past the cancellation period (yeah decided to leave the hostel earlier and cancel the next day cause i had bad feeling about this place), asked him and he said yeah i will try, im not authorized but u will get refunded". felt release
till the very next day i checked that my reservation was not cancelled. emailed the boss (matt) in the morning for him to sort things out, he did not reply my email, came back in the evening he was in the office in front of his computer, wasn't even care to reply my email.
told the receptionist (anders) about my problem, he talked to the manager (matt- yeah he was in his room, didnt event came out to talk to me), anders came back and said matt did not
approved my cancellation, Mike should have told me that i cant cancel my book a day before.
the only guy apologizing was anders - the best staff that they have. ended up paying two hostels, just because of their stupidness.
as off the rest of the staffs - not friendly, even the upper management..
reading all the reviews i know this place is bad, but looking at the reply from the management (Bria) i was hoping they had improved.. but noo.. they did not do anything about anything..
my advise: if u can get anywhere else, even the price is slightly higher, go for it, my experience in boston was bad (mainly because what i experienced in this place)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank iskymo
FriendStreetHostel, Owner at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I'm sorry you felt your experience did not meet your expectations, and I would like to assure you that we take comments such as yours very seriously.

The staff that you interacted with have been spoken to regarding their etiquette, and we are currently in the process of retraining all staff on customer service skills. The satisfaction of our guests is our utmost priority, and I am very sorry to hear that you did not experience this during your stay.

While our guests' experiences on average have continued to improve, we are still a new hostel, and understand that we have some more improvements to make. We've started on these improvements immediately by updating our facilities including showers, toilets, air conditioning, mattresses, and blankets.

I do hope to be able to further rectify your issue. If you would like to further discuss your stay, please send us a direct email, and address it to BRIA/MATT.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Best,
Bria

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. Good restaurants, night life and sightsing near by! Cereal, coffee, juice and toast included for breakfast. Nice staff, but slow service at times. Good safety- strict rules (no alcohol in the hostel). We did not experience bed bugs(see that there's some reviews about that). We would return:-)

FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thanks for your feedback! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you again very soon! While we cannot currently allow guests to consume alcohol on our premises, we are working on obtaining an alcohol license, so hopefully you will be able to enjoy your next stay even more.