“Friendly staff, good breakfast, could improve facilities”

Friend Street Hostel
Ranked #29 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, good breakfast, could improve facilities”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed here twice, for a total of three nights, at the start and end of a two week trip around the USA. Staff were friendly and helpful, especially considering that due to our flights we arrived late at night both times. Wi-fi works like a charm, breakfast is good. It was the cheapest room we could find in Boston by about $7 per person per night. The location was great - near the T (subway) and TD Garden.

I have a few gripes: the first two times I showered, relatively early in the morning (7ish), I couldn't get the shower hot in the time it took me to clean myself (about 5-10 minutes). It worked fine on my third attempt, which was later in the morning (9ish). I guess it may have something to do with the water heater not having reached temperature, but that wasn't much comfort when I was shivering those first couple of days.

We had paid for the 6 bed mixed dorm both times and the first time we stayed we were put in the 10 bed dorm. On our second night they put an extra bed in there so it became an 11 bed dorm. The 6 bed dorm is only accessible through the 10 bed so it's basically 16 beds anyway (with an adjoining door). I didn't realise the mistake until it was too late to do anything about it so I don't know how/if they would've dealt with it, but I'd advise you check your booking to be sure you haven't paid more for something you didn't get.

As someone else has mentioned, the beds are squeaky. Like, really squeaky. If you're a light sleeper, or a bit of a fidget (or both, in my case), that can make for an unpleasant night's sleep, especially as the mattresses are a bit thin too.

I'm not a princess about this sort of thing and I know you get what you pay for, but go in with your eyes open. I might consider paying the extra $7 in future and seeing what it bought me, but if someone else booked me in here I wouldn't kick up much of a fuss and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
UK
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly, the prices for hostels & cheap hotels is quite expensive in the city centre of Boston. Compared to other hostels we have stayed in during our time in the USA this seemed a bit pricey for a dorm room but reasonable for Boston.

The reception staff were pleasant and free wifi is available in the lobby areas. Free breakfast was provided but unfortunately we had to leave really early for a bus so can't comment on it.

We stayed in the six bed dorm room, the beds were really squeaky so whenever someone moved an inch we were woken up. We had a couple who came to bed and left the lights on and went to sleep which was weird and then another guy came in during the night and was bashing everything around, so we didn't have a great night sleep, but we know that's just dorm behavior and not any fault of the hostel. The cleaner the next day was a bit rude to us, not sure if it was intentional or not.

The location is good to explore the city centre and the freedom trail, toilets and showers were ok and the lockers in the room were quite a tight fit for our backpacks.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 8 August 2014

In Boston, there isn't a lot of hostels to choose from. Their location is not too far away from downtown Boston (10 minutes walk), and is easy to find from the Metro station. Only concern is that it seems to be in an area where there is a lot of homeless people, so try to avoid the local 7-eleven (they were sitting outside there every time I went there), I felt it uncomfortable.

Rooms are clean enough, but the beds do not have normal mattresses, they have airbeds. This may be a problem for some people. But I did not mind.

Room Tip: Go for the six bed room. To get to my room, I had to go through the 10 bed room, and I believe this...
1 Thank ErlendMichael
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Overall and very simply put...Comfortable, Great Location!!, Safe (combination locks on rooms and exits), Everything works Tv+Computer+Laundry+Showers, Friendly.
I stayed one night in the 10 bed mixed dorm...No Curfew

Brandon (USA)

1 Thank Brandon L
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I remembered that was my 1st visit in Boston during the December winter snow. Though i had a bit of difficulty finding the spot , but was relief after short search especially with the 1 degree weather and snow. It was a warm and cozy hostel just like its name "Friend Street" , i had a wonderful days stay , with the simple breakfast, nice common area with computers and convenient location to do my freedom trail and visits to the universities area, it was a memorable stay !

Room Tip: most of the dorms are pretty decent and clean
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JIUJIAN1MOROUND
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 9 July 2014

they are excellent at it. I sought a private room at this facility. None were available. Due to my snoring I try to save others.

I asked to use the common area computer for a few minutes to make other arrangements. After I received approval from staff there was a shift change. The new employee told me I had 3 minutes to vacate the premises. At that time and all other times my behavior was quite appropriate. Neither Irving House or Holiday Inn had problems with me.

If staff is unable to help a traveler in need, are they only polite in exchange for money?

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank James W

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Clean, nice, helpfull staff, sufficient breakfast. Slightly too expensive for no-frills hostel, but probably the cheapest you can get in Boston. In a walking distance from the city centre. Nice commom room with computers. Free wifi. All you need basically...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank katiethegnome