“One of the better options in Boson”

The Ritz-Carlton, Boston
Ranked #26 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“One of the better options in Boson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

The location of the Ritz places it as one of the better choices in the vicinity of the theater district and Boston Commons. Although not necessarily the prettiest of locations, it is quite convenient.

I had a suite on the 10th floor, and found it to be very good for an upscale hotel like the Ritz-Carlton. Although housed in a modern building, the room itself seemed in keeping with the more traditional Ritz style.

Like some other Ritz hotels, I found the climate control to be marginal. There are traditional home-style thermostats, but they only seem able to work across a limited temperature range...no more than maybe +/-5 degrees from what the hotel sets. To most people this probably isn't an issue, but I tend to like it just above meat locker temperature, and so I found the room a bit too warm for my liking.

Otherwise, no complaints whatsoever about the room or the furnishings. The shower was wonderful, as was the plush, inviting bed and all the rest. Very "Ritzy".

One of the things I liked best about the Ritz was the quiet. Even though the hotel seemed full, inside our room was dead quiet. I'm the type who doesn't usually sleep well away from home due to all the little noises, but I slept like a baby at the Ritz.

I found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. Although we were only there for a few days, they catered to our every need, and always made you feel welcome and appreciated.

Like all top hotels, everything was pricey. Breakfast for two ran us about $75, and even things like on-demand movies were fairly expensive. Still, it wasn't *so* expensive that you felt ripped off.

The parking is all valet, which I sometimes find troubling as I drive an exotic car that I always prefer to park myself. Still, there were no issues, and the valet service was prompt and efficient. I suppose this is the norm for big-city hotels - just a pet-peeve of mine.

Room Tip: Suites are all lovely...not sure paying extra for a view of Boston Commons is worthwhile.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler-vr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Indonesian first
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Thinking we were booking at the Ritz Carlton on the Commons (which is now managed by another company) we found ourselves at the "other" Ritz a few blocks away and a true delight. The actual rooms are on the 8-12 floors, with offices and residences from 4-8. There is a great gym, movie theater, wonderful service and one of the best concierge levels we have ever seen. It may be a little hidden, but don't miss it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking planted roof garden are quiet and most attractive
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ANSH90210
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

I recently spent one night at the Ritz Boston. I booked through Virtuoso so I had a few amenities that were to be provided during my stay. I booked a standard size room but upon checkin I was upgraded to a beautiful executive suite. The room was very spacious and gorgeous and I would definitely book it if I am to return. Check in was easy and the associate who took care of me was warm and friendly. She made sure to explain what was available to me as part of my rate which was appreciated. There was an issue with the room I was originally given so I was switched to one a few doors down. No issues so far.

Later in the evening the host brought my welcome amenity to my room which was nice. I later noticed that the welcome note was addressed to a different person whom I didn't know and not myself. Not a big deal though. I had in room dining twice and it was nicely prepared with prompt delivery. The big issue I had with the property was when I reviewed my bill the following morning on my tv before I checked out. There was $200 worth of unauthorized charges to my hotel account. There were 2 separate charges for valet parking. I didn't even drive to the hotel. I took the train. There were also several charges for the hotel restaurant which I never stepped foot in. I don't know how someone was able to make all these charges to my room. What kind of security is there in place for this? When I went to check out I explained all of the fraudulent charges. The gentleman helping me did not seem the least bit phased and didn't even offer an apology on behalf of the hotel. Also the way he was interacting with me seemed like he was irritated that I was even broaching the subject or that I was even being dishonest about it. He seemed to be lacking in basic customer service skills. The rest of the hotel staff I encountered seemed disinterested to even be there. The doormen and porters just lounged around and I had to start to open the door myself before they half-heartedly hold it open and they never gave any kind of welcome. The only real good interactions I had with the staff was a gentleman who's name I believe was Jose when he delivered my in room dining. He was very courteous and polite and seemed genuinely interested in me as a guest. Everyone else was rather subpar.

I'll probably return as it is a really nice hotel in a nice area. Just don't expect to much from the service which is unfortunate. And make sure to carefully check your hotel bill for unauthorized charges.

Stayed April 2012
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I made a last minute switch from the Intercontinental to the Ritz. With my government rate, the price was identical--$200--also the same price for the Marriott Courtyard. This hotel did not disappoint.

First, the staff was very friendly, and quickly accommodated my request for a room at 7:00 a.m. on the day of my arrival. The hotel, while luxurious, is not pretentious with its guests; you aren't giving the once over when strolling the lobby in casual attire.

As other reviewers mentioned, the lobby could use--well--more space and furniture. Still, it's lovely, and hopefully, you'll be spending more time in your room than the lobby.

The bathroom is wonderful with a large soaking tub and separate shower. The bed and bedding are soft and comfy. The location can't be beat, at Boston Common.

My only warning comes from a cab driver regarding the towncar waiting outside. The towncar he referred to is not the one apparently provided by the hotel. He stated that the doorman will ask guests where they are headed. A private towncar will be parked in front of the hotel. If the guest is headed a long distance, such as the airport, the doorman will recommend the town car. According to the taxi driver, the private town car will charge $40 for the airport ride. The price is approximately $21 for a taxi. Therefore, if you are told otherwise by the doorman, the information is incorrect. Take the taxi not the towncar.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Boston Common this Easter weekend.
We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel.
We were assigned, as requested, a room with two double beds on the 11th floor. The room is very spacious and the beds are confortable. The bathroom is also very spacious with a bath and a separate shower. The housekeeping is done very well everyday. There is a turndown service every night with chocolat on the pillows. The hotel is centraly located in front of the Boston Common Park.
The personnel working at the hotel reception is very friendly and welcoming especially Asheley who was so nice to talk to.
We will be returning to this hotel.
If you have any question do not hesitate to ask.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank I_loved_the_beach
Staunton, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I had seen bad reviews on this hotel before we booked, but simply discounted them - you cant please everybody, right? So off we go! Our room overlooked the rooftop garden; seemed small. Ordinary in every way. We asked if might upgrade accommodations but that was not an option. (Now we have to wonder.) But, no matter, this was our first time in Boston and we were intent on enjoying ourselves. Which we did. To be fair, concierge and lounge employees were exceptional. Room service seemed unusually expensive and delivery and set up were slightly underwhelming. What REALLY soured me on this hotel and what seems UNBELIEVABLE at ANY hotel, especially a RITZ, is that when, after a night on the town, arriving back slightly before my husband, I was unable to locate my room key. I then find out to my astonishment that the front desk DID NOT HAVE ME REGISTERED IN MY OWN ROOM AND REFUSED TO GIVE ME A KEY! After personally having signed for room service, signing for cocktails in the lounge, this is an inexcusable lapse and could have been a potentially significant event. We complained; management tried to make amends by giving us a free room service meal, but, honestly, we will never return. And that pool they advertise? 15.00 pp and its located in an adjacent fitness center. This hotel needs to REALLY step it up. Thankfully, our FIRST experience with Ritz was in Chicago, and blew us away. We will try again, but not in Boston, thank you very much! Oh how could I forget?!! Our last day there, our room was never serviced. REALLY!??

Room Tip: If you want to see Boston, be sure to insist on a room with a view. Make sure the front desk KNOWS...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suecq2s
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I come to Boston quite often to visit firends that live there and I always stay at the Ritz. The hotel is immaculate, the staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are amazing. The concierge, Caroline has been unbelievably helpful. She has even reccomended restaurants that my friends living there did not know about, as well as reservations. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. I will continue to stay there every time I visit and I highly reccomend it for everyone (business, family, couples, etc.)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends