“Great location and hotel but charge Wifi”

The Ritz-Carlton, Boston
Ranked #26 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Munich, Germany
“Great location and hotel but charge Wifi”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Located right by the park in the center, well maintained, great friendly staff, luxury rooms.
Access to the huge LA Sports Club in the tower for $15.
No go is that you are still charged for Wifi in your room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TEU793

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Ritz Carlton in Boston Common is a great accommodation for a weekend getaway. The location was perfect! We were in the middle of everything! The service was as it should be, only the best. Me and my fiance lucked out when we stayed there because we bumped into Comedian Tracy Morgan at the concierge desk and saw that the New York Rangers were staying there as well. The lounge level was great in that they provided a variety of drinks, snacks and desserts throughout the day. The rooms were clean and spacious. And housekeeping was exceptional in that they provided dry cleaning services also extra hangers for overflowing suitcase. I would recommend this hotel to individuals who love luxury. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a young couple looking fir a hip scene, its suited towards an older crowd.

• Stayed February 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Entering in the small street is not a great set up for this wonderful hotel. We have stayed here many times and have really enjoyed each stay. The welcoming attitude and attentive service of the staff is a joy. Breakfast here is excellent. I sometimes think that they welcome our golden retriever more than us. The hotel is most convenient to the Public Garden and to two tube stops. Shopping on Newbury Street is just across the park. Starbucks is only two blocks away. Very near to the red line walk. Our rooms have been very comfortable and well appointed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Like any Ritz this is a beautiful hotel with outstanding service. It is very well located in Boston Commons, right near the theater district and Chinatown. During our stay my 16 yo son injured his knee playing soccer, which necessitated cutting our stay short by two nights to head back to LA. The staff at the Ritz were incredibly understanding, allowing us to change our itinerary at the last minute (ie during our stay) with no financial penalty! Sharia at the front desk was especially helpful. This kindness really helped reduce the stress of an otherwise stressful situation. Highly recommended!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian K
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Ritz Carlton is by far one of our favorite properties, no matter where we are traveling. My husband and I follow a vegan and oil-free diet and each property does a great job of feeding us. Shortly after checking in, Food and Beverage Supervisor, Ross, introduced himself to us, gave us his business card and offered to help in any way possible.

The second day of our visit, I had a very casual conversation with cocktail waitress, Jiney. She simply asked about our diet and my favorite recipes. Within 30 minutes, she had done a google search, printed recipes that I mentioned and gave them to Ross, her supervisor, to give to the chef. The next evening, Chef Brendan beautifully prepared our favorite meal. Needless to say, we were beyond wowed!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Burbage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for a week on business...superb week!

Spotless hotel with very attentive staff who couldn't do enough for me.

Nice bar and restaurant area with a good selection of drinks and dishes.

Location...perfect! Just off the Common, a couple of minutes walk to the Theatre district and China Town and the rest of Boston right on your door step.

Highly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Saying that our stay was disappointing is an understatement. We decided on the Ritz in Boston because I thought it was the flagship property that I had visited years ago. I was unaware (probably my fault) that the charming original was no longer. American Express Platnium Service also did not seem to be aware of this as i mentioned the original Ritz and they did not say it had been rebuilt in a different location.

My husband and another couple were in Boston celebrating our husband's 60th birthday. We decided to splurge on this pricy hotel because we were celebrating this special occasion. From start to finish there were few bright spots. It started off with the checking in process. We waited over an hour for our room even though we requested the platnium amenity of a 12 PM check-in. In all the time we were waiting we were never given the A/E package explaining our amenities. We were shown to our room but one of our suitcases were missing and a bottle of distilled water. The bellman went off searching for the suitcase and brought it to our room. Instead of the bottle of water we described to him he brought us someone else's canvas tote bag. I could not believe he was giving us another guests bag! He then realized he had put the water under one of our other suitcases.

We then went to the Artisan Grill for lunch where we were seated next to a screaming child. We asked to be moved and they obliged. The food was fair and took a long time to get.

There are a long list of problems at this hotel. Turndown service starts at 5 PM even though we asked to have it when we went to dinner. There it was, the card under the door that they made the attempt. The complimentary car service runs from 6-8 PM which means they can take you to dinner but you are on your own getting back. One evening they could not even find the car. We were told "we do not know where it is" cellphones anyone??? The bar was closed on a Sunday night which meant we had to go to the Artisan Grill for a drink. The bartender or at least we thought he was told us he was filling in and really did not know how to make drinks. Twice I asked for the comforter to be removed from the bed and replaced with blankets. I finally got them but that meant that I had to make the bed myself. This is reasonable for $800.00 a night? Dirty food trays in the hallway for more hrs. than I can count.

Of all the problems nothing could prepare us for what we experienced Sunday morning at the Artisan Grill for breakfast. I have never seen such a poorly run restaurant EVER!! Things were not good the day before cold toast and oatmeal, slow coffee and ever slower refills but that paled in comparison to Sunday. We arrived and were told there were a lot of reservations coming at 11:00. We said it is only 10:15 and we could be finished by 11:00. They said they could not fill the empty tables because the kitchen was very backed up and they could not serve us. We tried to sit at the bar but there was only one server. People, and I mean mad people were sitting there fuming. We tried to find out if there was another restaurant nearby but when we called they said there was a long wait there as well. We sat at the bar and waited. The food was just as cold as the previous day. Then we saw the crowd gathering for their 11:00 res. They literally cleared the entire restaurant before they would seat anyone. Now they had irrate people standing at the front wondering why they could not sit down. I took a picture of the empty restaurant because I have never witnessed anything like this before.

We were so mad we went out to the front desks to complain. I told Alex the front desk man that this was unacceptable and he should have mentioned that we needed reservations when I sat with him for an hour waiting for my room. He was rude and condescending. As I was speaking with him another unhappy guest jumped into my conversation and starting complaining not only about the understaffed restaurant but how the housekeeper knocked on his door at 7AM even though he had the sign on his door. I am truly surprised that unrest did not break out in the lobby. I finally was able to exclaim my displeasure to one of the managers. She gave me a $400.00 (1/2 nights rate) and an $8.00 bottle of wine & cheese for my troubles. I did hear from Olivia another manager who gave me a certificate for a free night to be used within the year. I do not know if I will return. We were there for 6 nights and even though we had rate changes they never were below $550.00 per night and most were over $700.00. The A/E amenity of free breakfast each morning was not worth the hour ++ it took each day to get mediocre food.

This hotel should not be rated as high as it is. I have contacted American Express but have not heard from them.

The only bright spot are the 3 concierge gentlemen, expecially Adriatik. He was wonderful. Also the doorman Ken.

It is a shame that the Ritz flagship hotel has fallen so far.

Room Tip: They have a few rooms that face the Commons but not many. If you do not get a good rate go elsewher...