“Good Business Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Boston
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hotel was great- room were large and quiet, beds were comfortable. Hotel location is great. Valet and check in desk were extremely helpful- I was in a rush to get to a meeting and they graciously and quickly checked my bags for me until I had time to come back later and check into my room. In room dining and club lounge attendants were great. Not a five star review only because club level lounge is not as nice as other Ritz' hotels in terms of seating or food and beverage options.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Ritz in Boston met and exceeded my expectations. My room was well appointed, very clean, and really comfortable. Staff was helpful at every turn, and the lounge was a nice place to relax with some friends after a busy day of work. I also enjoyed the location, which for me, was right in the middle of things that I wanted to see and do during my free time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2014

First of all, I made a really major error, my bad, totally. I THOUGHT the RC was still located on the Boston Gardens, alas, the TAJ is there now, and that is where I wanted to be.
The lobby is stunning and the check in was warm and inviting.
Maybe all would be ok even if I was in the WRONG location.
But then we got to our very ordinary room and a less than average club lounge.
The staff is wonderful, no problems with people, it was more the feel of the club...nothing special, and the breakfast was inedible...rubber eggs...I took a picture but decided not to post it.
The turn down service never happened since we returned tired at about 10 pm and the hotel maid was still working our floor...even though the posted hours for turn down end at 9pm. I find that inexcusable considering we paid over 600 dollars for the room.
I would not return and I just hate giving the RC a bad review since it is my hotel chain of choice.
But, it was too expensive and too ordinary to justify returning.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ellen K
MsOliviaB, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Ellen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our property. We strive to exceed expectations in all areas and regret that your stay was less than anticipated. Please allow me to connect with you further. My contact information is below.

Olivia Brown
617-574-7101

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Like it was during our last visit, it is slightly difficult to get to the entrance of the hotel due to all of the one way streets and do not enter signs. The valet promptly came over and unloaded all of our luggage, all though he did take his time in doing so. Just after that, we proceeded to check-in. While the woman who checked us in remembered that we got a $100 credit and were staying on the club floor, she also told us that we would have to wait for our room to be cleared by housekeeping. If I had checked in earlier in the day, I would understand, but it was 5pm. You’d assume that the rooms would be ready. While we were waiting, we decided to explore and wait in the club lounge. 25 minutes later, a bellman arrived to the lounge and gave us our keys. Little direction to where the room was and stood there like a lost puppy waiting for his tip. If he were to have shown us where the room was or at least open the door for us, I could have gotten him money. HOWEVER, my wallet was in my luggage, which he had already put in the room.

The rooms were quite nice. Large and gracious bathroom all though they have Asprey products. What happened to the previous brand of health care products (but this isn’t the fault of the RC BC).

Kelly, the club lounge attendant, is one of this property’s most valued assets. She made our stay lovely surpassed our expectations. The club lounge itself is small and slightly unprofessional. I went to lunch one day and was standing while eating because there weren't enough tables for us all. On top of that, children were running around barefoot and yelling to one another (there were probably 15 kids in the small area), an atmosphere I was not particularly fond of when I’m trying to eat. The food is delicious however, so I put that behind me.

In room dining was also superb, from their Clam Chowder to their Creme Brûlée.

This time, we decided to not eat in the lobby restaurant, but if I recall from our previous visit, the food was just okay for breakfast. Will be back when we come back to Boston for the rewards. If the rewards aren't a huge deal, consider looking into the Four Seasons, as their reviews are just as good if not better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was accompanying my husband on a business trip, so I took advantage of the nice things, like breakfast in bed and the nearby art venues. Everything was perfect and made me fall in love again with Boston (and who doesn't appreciate a white-gloved elevator attendant?).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

From my pre-arrival correspondance to my actual arrival, the staff at the RC Boston made for a wonderful trip. Its location is perfect for leisure and business, right in the middle of the City, a stroll away from the Freedom Trail, shopping and commercial sectors as well as right opposite the common. All the staff I encountered were polite, welcoming and courteous.
The Club Room was fantastic, with warm and engaging staff, happy to help.
The RC refer to their staff as 'Ladies and Gentleman', it is evident this is more than a mere title, but a reference to the wonderful manners and grace which they display in abundance.
If you're slightly concerned that a RC hotel may have a 'stuffy', older atmosphere, please drop that concern in an instant. The atmosphere is one of modern luxury, with staff who are engaging and happy to help. Moreover, the decor of the hotel is perfectly chosen to represent a contemporary 'New England', which perfectly caters for all.
I couldn't recommend this property enough - it was a perfect choice for my brother and I, and we'd go back in an instant.
I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I'd go for a Club Room. Free wifi, food and drink offerings and a peaceful place to relax.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DerbyBob
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I booked a deluxe room at the Ritz for my daughter's 16th birthday present. We were both very impressed with the hotel and front desk service. The room was exactly as advertised. Later after check in, one of the front desk ladies came to out room to deliver a special treat (cupcake and chocolates) for my daughter. The next day even though we had to check out, they were able to keep our bags for us so we wouldn't have to carry them around while sightseeing. Breakfast at the bistro was delicious. Thank you for making my daughter's birthday memorable.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Melissa,

Thank you for sharing your memories of The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Common. We are thrilled that your stay created a lovely birthday celebration. We look forward to hosting more unforgettable events for you in the future.

Olivia Brown