“Boston in July”

Ranked #70 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Whitby, Canada
“Boston in July”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My experience at this hotel was very good. The hotel is showing its age, but was clean and comfortable. There was a distinct odour in the room, but was otherwise in very good shape. The staff was great, very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located well, I was able to use the free shuttle, or walk one block north and catch the #1 bus to the Massachusetts subway station, which took about 10-15 minutes. There is a large hospital located nearby, so there were plenty of sirens to be heard, but didn't bother me. Boston is a place where drivers use their horns liberally, so there is traffic noise no matter where you go.
The hotel is on the border between a nice area of town, and an area that is a bit more depressed. You will therefore see several street people hanging about, but they never approached me and were not a problem. I would recommend this hotel. Overall very good, other than the musty smell and the breakfast buffet was very basic.

2 Thank 888Mike813
John W, Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback.We hope you had a wonderful time in Boston and look forward to seeing you back at our hotel in the future. We will be renovating in 2015 so hopefully you will return to see the changes we make.
Jennifer B.
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is not in the best neighborhood and my room was clean, but smelled like mildew. I can't imagine it was good to be breathing that in during my stay. Be careful walking around this neighborhood in the morning and night. Otherwise it was fine

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank misteri0ustraveller
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at the Roundhouse and contrary to some reviews we had No issue with noise. We were on the 5th floor Mass. Ave front. Sure there was an occasional siren but you are by a hospital & in a city. Every city has sirens. They were few & didnt bother us.
The Free shuttle with Enrique was Great to go to the Red Line.

If you are on the 5/6 floors you can have breakfast brought to your room, a great convenience for our schedule, Theo was very polite and prompt. The food service Manager is young, ambitious, pleasant and wants his guests happy.

The Front Desk staff, Helen & Ashia, know customer service. They were always smiles & very helpful.

If you want a Convenient Hotel, Comfortable Beds, Great Service, Free Parking, Free Shuttle To Red & Orange Line Plus the Mall & Free Breakfast this is your Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank catwmn2xVT
Thank You for your feedback. We are happy to hear that your stay was pleasurable and hope you enjoyed Boston! Please keep us in mind for your future stays in Boston..
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

After flying in from Portland, Oregon, I was disappointed to find my reservation had been cancelled. Now, yes, I had changed my mind and made and cancelled 2 reservations a few weeks earlier, but the third reservation was not cancelled by me. Ariana apologized and said it was cancelled and asked for help from her co-worker, Helen. Helen said it had been cancelled and the hotel was sold out. I went to my emails to show, again, my confirmations and, to her credit, her customer service was incredible...never questioning my belief, but apologizing for the cancellation.

I left the front desk to double check my email confirmations...and compose myself. When I returned Helen had found a lovely suite for us to stay the night at the price of my original reservation. She and Ariana were great. It's always a difficult situation for everyone, but she handled it professionally.

The next morning, Thelma was most helpful in sending us on our way to the T with their shuttle. And our driver, Enrique, confirmed how to contact him upon our return.

People were great. Noise mentioned my other reviewers didn't affect us and we were on the front of the building. Breakfast standard fare. Parking included was the biggest pull for me. At $45 a pop at every other hotel, we saved a bundle.

Yes, I would recommend this hotel for Boston stays. A bargain in Boston.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank soccer3655
John W, AGM at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hi Traveler,

What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to review your property with us and share your fantastic experience! I will be sure to share your kind words with Helen, Ariana, Thelma and Enrique. We will be renovating at the end of the year - do keep in touch and come in back in 2015 and take in the new face lift!

Fleming Island, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Pros: Free parking, free wi-fi, nice breakfast included. Plus the rooms are quite large compared to what you'll typically get in the heart of the city.
Cons: The location is marginal. It's fine if you are planning on driving everywhere - but parking in Boston is hard to find and expensive. It's a 20 minute walk to the T....and some won't care for the neighborhood (it's old and industrial....definitely not Beacon Hill!). They do offer a shuttle, but it's a roll of the dice about how long it will take them to pick you up. And for added fun, the lock in the business center was broken, and we literally got locked inside until we could flag someone down to break us out.
So if you're OK with the shortcomings, it's not a bad hotel. The staff were quite nice.

1 Thank Tom H
John W, AGM at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry about your experience in the business center! Rest assured the lock has been fixed! We will be renovating near the end of this year - I invite you to return and take in our facelift in 2015!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I just stayed at the Roundhouse Suites for 3 days, and we were quite happy with this choice for Boston Hotels.
The staff were all very polite, professional and pleasant, from front desk to cleaning staff and everyone in general.
The rooms are a comfortable size, and they were kept clean.
This is not a luxury hotel, but it had everything we wanted and needed at a reasonable price.
Not what I would recommend if you don't have a car to get around, since it is away from the downtown core, but with a car it is a very quick drive.
Free Wi-Fi was adequate speeds for checking e-mail and general browsing.
Overall a positive experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pitfloyd
Hello Traveler,

Thank you for your review! I am pleased to see you enjoyed your room enough to post pictures! We will be renovating at the end of this year - come back in 2015 and take in the face lift!

Owego, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were in Boston to attend our son's graduation. This is an excellent hotel with clean rooms and free parking. There is a free shuttle to area locations. The hotel staff is very accomodating - they allowed us to check out after attending church on Sunday .There is a breakfast buffet downstairs, but can be overcrowded.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the review! I appreciate you taking time out of your day to reflect upon your experience here. We will be renovating at the end of the year - be sure to come back and take in our new look in 2015!