“Great Service!”

Ranked #66 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Dallas, TX
“Great Service!”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I recently stayed at the Charlesmark for business. I was travleing with a colleague and we both needed to stay at the hotel. When we went online to book the second room, the hotel showed sold out. I called and spoke to Kurt at the Front Desk. He was wonderful! He got us the reservation that we needed and was very pleasant. Upon arrival, he was very personable and gave us upgraded rooms. He was always saying hello when we walked by and went above and beyond to make us feel welcome in his hotel and his city. Hotels need more employees like Kurt! The rooms are small but employees like Kurt more than make up for it!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I loved this hotel. In a town where accomodation appears to be very expensive - you get a lot for your buck at the Charlesmark. Great location on Boylston St - right in the midst of all the action. I found the staff to be friendly and courteous at all times. Check in was a breeze, the lounge area is terrific for taking a break with a cup of coffee and as well as free wi-fi they provide two computers and a printer for guests to use without charge. I just had a standard room which I found to be very comfortable and more than adequate in size. Breakfast is just basic - fruit, oatmeal, bagels and pastries plus tea and coffee. But more than enough for me to start my day off with. The only things I think could be improved - provide a kettle and a fridge in the rooms. But as there is free tea and coffee 24 hours a day in the lounge and an ice machine and bucket for keeping things cool it was very easy to make do. I would have no hesitation in booking this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I booked this hotel after reviewing it on tripadviser and I was not disappointed. For my purpose which was seeing the sights I found it just right. Staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 13 August 2011

My husband and I thought the Charlesmark was an excellent choice for us. The location was great for sightseeing, restaurants and shopping. We walked most of the time, including the Freedom Trail twice, the river park, and several lovely nearby neighborhoods. There are many, many restaurant choices and an unbelievable assortment of shopping opportunities within easy walking distance.

In addition, it was close to the subway which we used to travel from the airport and go to Fenway Park and the Samuel Adams Brewery.

The room was very clean and modern,with space well-planned, and bed super comfortable. Breakfast included juices, coffee, a variety of fresh bagels, fresh fruit, cereals and oatmeal, as well as fresh pastries.

The hotel bar had large open doors to a patio and sidewalk that made an excellent place for people-watching.

The service was friendly and helpful. We would definitely return and recommend this hotel to our friends.

Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Directly across the street from the Boston Public Library, the Charlesmark Hotel is in an excellent location for business or pleasure in the City. It is only a few steps from the Copely station of the MTBA. The Boston Common is about 1/4 mile away. A myriad of restaurants were nearby.

After entering the inauspicious doorway (partly hidden behind the awnings of the adjoining restaurant) we had a very friendly and helpful greeting. Our room was small, reminding me of hotels I've stayed in in Europe. What it lacked in size it made up for in modern fixtures, cleanliness and comfort. The bed was a full-size double, not a queen or king; the mattress was comfortable. The air conditioning worked just fine. We were on the back side of the hotel and it was very quiet. There is no refrigerator or microwave. I'm typing this on one of their free computers in the lobby.

The bathroom was tiny, with only a shower and not tub. The fixtures were very modern, clean and in excellent condition. The bath towels were nice and big and fluffy.

They give a good rate for these small rooms to members of the New England Historic Genealogical Society. For downtown Boston it was an excellent bargain.

Room Tip: The bargain rooms are small.
Omaha, NE
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I was looking forward to a small but clean hotel. I think the hotel tries to be very hip, and I didn't see anyone working there over the age of about 25. The rooms are very small and grey, which was fine, but they didn't feel very clean. The ceilings were stained and the shower grout was moldy. The breakfast buffet was bagels or donuts. I guess for the price it was okay, but I wouldn't stay here again, although the location was fantastic. Unfortunately, this hotel was the biggest disappointment of our whole trip.

2 Thank Midwestern_visitor
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2011

First time in Boston with a couple or three days to explore the city on foot. The Charlesmark is a great base for this and economical to boot. The location is perfect and staff are personable, knowledgeable and very helpful. Rooms are small, actually very small, but comfortable, functional and quiet. If you bring people back to party stay in the bar; more than two in the room is very cosy. Definitely high on the list to consider for our next visit.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends