“Excellent Location, Friendly Staff & Good Breakfast”
Review of Charlesmark Hotel

Charlesmark Hotel
Ranked #67 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed here Mid October for two nights. Staff at the front desk were very helpful at both check in & check out. Walking distance from many of Boston's attractions. Breakfasts were good and it was very easy to find somewhere for dinner.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Aden R

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Nice hotel. Location couldn't be better - you are half a block away from the Copley Square T station, and a block away from Copley Square itself. Good bar and lounge area. Near loads of restaurants, bars and shops.

The rooms are a decent size (of course I had one of the "Premium Queen" ones, which are the biggest). I certainly didn't feel like I was lacking for space. Love that there was a mini-fridge in the room.

I disagree with some other reviewers though who've said that the back rooms are quieter. We were woken up at 6am on both Saturday and Sunday by a garbage truck beeping in the alley. Not the hotel's fault (it's in a very busy location, which is good for tourism but bad for street noise) but something to note. I don't think you'd be better off with the front-facing rooms, but be aware.

Best thing about this hotel - they gave us free champagne because it was our wedding anniversary! I've never had a hotel do something so nice for me before (usually they're just obnoxiously giving me the wrong room type other than the one I confirmed). Really enjoyed the champagne and it was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Premium queen rooms are quieter for street noise but loud when there's a beeping truck at the cr...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katie R
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The lower priced rooms are small, not unlike European hotels, but ours was quiet and efficient. The bathroom was nicely done with space for supplies at sink side and a great shower. The music system was high end with speakers in bath and bedroom. The internet was free and worked well. The bed was small and not soft but it had a number of covers on it so one could adjust the temperature by peeling one or more, unlike the current trend. An ironing board and iron plus a small refrigerator were in the room. Although there was no coffee service in the room, a bagel and fruit plus coffee, tea and juice service was available for breakfast along with newspapers from 7 am to 10 am. The location is super, just a block from the T station and a walking distance to most everything that you might want to do. Service was friendly and there is a bar and small restaurant available. You cannot go wrong here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are likely to be best for light sleepers.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mjrg59
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Easily found from Copley Square, the Charlesmark is in a perfect location to get the feel of Boston. Our room was small (a common comment) but very clean, well designed and equipped. The quick breakfast gave the hotel a feel of an upmarket hostel which isn't a criticism as the Charlesmark should be considered as a base to explore Boston rather than a destination in itself.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul1810Mk
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

The Charlesmark is a fine boutique style hotel. �� Location is excellent being set in the ultra smart Back Bay area of Boston. ��High end shopping and dining are all within a 2 minute walk of the hotel. ��It is literally on the finishing line of the Boston marathon and opposite Copeley Square. Turn left out of the hotel and a ten minute stroll takes you to the park and beautiful Boston common, which is well worth a walk through (it is also the start of the Freedom Trail). We went to the baseball game and it was a nice walk (follow the crowd!) which took about 45 minutes. You are close to a subway station if walking is not your thing. �� The service in the hotel is very very good and so friendly. They were happy to recommended places to eat (all turned out to be good) and even organised arrangements for us to get to Martha's Vineyard. Excellent. �� The hotel offers a free continental breakfast which is fine - coffee, pastries, fresh bagels, oatmeal. �� The hotel has a very popular smart ��bar which the locals obviously love. It is open to 1am serving cocktails, wime, spirits and local craft beers. I can honestly say that even though it stays open quite late it can't be heard in the rooms I stayed in. �� Room size are typical for a US city - not small, but not large. They have an AV system as well as TV which means the sound is great. Bathroom is nice modern style. ��Cleanliness is excellent. �� Combination of location, boutique style and service means I would use this hotel each time I visit Boston.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AdePB
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Our company booked this hotel, so I don't know the price of the room, but it was a great one night stay. The room and bathroom were very clean. The rooms are small, but I;m not in my room except to sleep, so I don't need much space. They had the tv on a jazz station when I walked in, which was actually a calming touch after a long wait for the "shared van" bringing my work colleagues to the hotel.
The continental breakfast is basic, coffee wasn't great, but I get breakfast when I go to my meetings, so it didn't really bother me that it wasn't very good.
The pillow/bed was extremely comfortable. I was very happy with my stay, which was only one night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I stayed for four nights in September and we highly recommend this hotel.
Room: Not huge, but you could hardly call it small. The decor looks pretty new and the bed was comfortable. We were in 507 which was at the back of the hotel and had a window on both sides letting plenty light in. The room looked onto the back lane but we didn't hear any noise while sleeping. The bathroom was nicely decorated and the shower cubicle was spacious.
Breakfast: Included in the room cost. It was basic but set us up for the day nicely - there were bagels, cream cheese, jam, doughnuts, fruit, tea and coffee. Breakfast is served in the bar area.
Bar: When we arrived on Saturday night to check in the bar was very busy and there was a nice atmosphere, but on the other nights we stayed it was much much quieter. We didn't have a drink in the bar, although we meant to, time just got away from us.
Staff: All very friendly and helpful.
Location: Right at Copley Square, across the road from the T stop (Copley), also across the road from the Boston Public Library. Easy walking to Boston Common and the start of the Freedom Trail. Lots of shops, bars and restaurants in the immediate area. All in all, you couldn't ask for a better location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple