“Ideal City Hotel, Excellent Service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Charlesmark Hotel

Charlesmark Hotel
Ranked #61 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Ideal City Hotel, Excellent Service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Recently stayed at the Charlesmark for two nights. I was thrilled with my entire experience there. The location is excellent, the room was immaculate, and the service was some of the best I've experienced in some time. I travel a lot for work and this is probably my favorite hotel so far. The stay felt a lot more personal than other hotels because of the size of the hotel. I spent the majority of my time working in the city and I cannot understate how nice it is to come back to a clean room and a friendly, helpful staff. Great rates and definitely a hidden Boston gem!!! Plan on going back very soon...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this awesome boutique hotel on a long layover from Iceland back to home to DFW. We always stay in this area and if you take a look at the prices of hotels in Boston they are cheap. This hotel was in a perfect location and the price was very reasonable! When we booked this hotel I was a little skeptical but since we were only going to be there for one night I was okay with it. To my surprise it turned out to be the best little gem we found! We took the T from the airport to the hotel and the station we got off at was literally steps away from the front door! The room had everything one would need to be comfortable even a mini-fridge! We will be staying here again when we make our way back to Boston!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ginger C
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here three nights. Could hear every movement of guest upstairs. Would not recommend. That is the complete summary and review of this hotel, I am just writing more to meet the minimum required characters for a review.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room?
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Conor S
Damariscotta, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Found the Charlesmark while searching for hotels in Boston as I was headed down there for a show. I had lived in Boston years ago, so I knew about the Copley, Lenox, etc, but the Charlesmark was new to me. They had great rates, the rooms looked nice, and the TripAdvisor reviews were positive ;-) so I booked. What a treat! Superbly located right downtown in Copley Square, the hotel was easy to get to from South Station. The staff was friendly and though at 40 rooms, the hotel was pretty small in all regards, it was well appointed and tidy. I was on the 6th floor which was nice - great view down Boylston to the Pru - and no one over my head. I don't stay in a lot of hotels in major metropolitan areas often, so I would describe the decor as appropriately urban. Real tile in the bath and shower area, clean lines, monochromatic color scheme, etc. I had a queen room, so the bed was adequate for my wife and I and though the room was quite small, it didn't feel crowded. It would not have worked if my 8 year-old had been with us, but that is a moot point! The bar/lounge on the ground floor were nice and accommodating, though they looked better in the dim light of evening with a cocktail than in the harsh light of day, but we didn't spend a lot of time indoors. For a weekend, it was reasonably quiet, though there was pronounced street noise until midnight, but hey, you're in the middle of Boston, so that can't be a complaint. The area around the hotel felt safe, tony Newbury Street is a block away, so even walking Boston Common at night felt fine. I drive in Boston plenty, but I was glad I left my car at home. The only parking is in area garages which might be fine (though expensive) if you can't make other plans, but really, the subway is SO easy, it doesn't make sense to drive. I will definitely stay at the Charlesmark again.

Room Tip: Unless you are traveling alone, go for the Queen room. Ask for top floor if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert C
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We had a two night stay at the Charlesmark in early January.

The location is convenient, less than 10 minutes walk from Back Bay station (we caught an Amtrak train from NY) and the subway station is also directly across the street, a great way to get around in the cold weather. Check in was fast and friendly, our room was clean and looked to be quite freshly renovated? Check out was great, one of the staff even ran outside in the heavy snow to make sure we could get a cab, this was really appreciated.

Breakfast was basic but enough to get you started for the day, make a coffee, read a paper and check the news on the TV's in the lounge area. The "Pour House" a few blocks away is a cool bar with nice food (cheap too) if you're chasing a quick meal.

Would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike S
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I had stayed at the Charlesmark in 2008 (see previous review), and knew it would again be a perfect place to stay for my 1 week vacation in December 2013. Price for single room was amazing ($119/night), the employees were all super nice and made me feel at home, location was perfect for going everywhere! I was in room 605...very small, and view of some alleys...but I didn't go to Boston at Christmas time to sit in a hotel. Since the Copley "T" station is right on the corner, it was very easy to travel to Northeastern U to visit my nephew, the Fine Arts Museum and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Newbury street is right around the corner. Trinity Church and the Boston library are right across the street. Public Garden/Boston Common, Beacon Hill, Freedom Trail, etc...even in the snow! AND there are tons of fabulous restaurants within walking distance. Atlantic Fish, Samurai Sushi, Legal Seafoods...the list goes on.
Breakfast is basically fruit, donuts, bagels, coffee, tea. The martini bar in the lobby is nice, although I only went there one night as there were Christmas parties there all the other nights. I look forward to my next stay at the Charlesmark!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank auntietat
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a great place to stay for trip to Boston, you really need to check this out! Yes, the rooms are somewhat small and not for people who travel less-than-light, but there is plenty of what you need (free-wifi and great service) and little of what you don't (large, noisy lobbies with marble floors). I was in town on business and hosted a private wine tasting in their downstairs bar (check out the monthly public event) and they provided an excellent event, food and also samples of some of their house specialty martinis. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business