“Loved the Charlesmark”

Charlesmark Hotel
Ranked #64 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“Loved the Charlesmark”
Reviewed 21 May 2005

I stayed at the Charlesmark last May, and again this May. It is a truly terrific place. The rooms are splendid! Beautifully decorated, the decor is all original artwork from local artists. This hotel is very unique, and extremely comfortable. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful with tourists inquiries.

I highly recommend this hotel for tourists. For less price than a standard, boring chain, one can stay at a nice hotel with a local flavour.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, PA USA
Reviewed 20 May 2005

This hotel offers a decent room at a decent price at a great location, a half-block from Copley Square. I could walk almost anywhere I wanted to go: Boston Commons/Public Garden, Quincy Market, Symphony Hall, Fenway Park, and many of the historic sites. (All right, I walk a lot.) Newbury St. is right around the corner. For bad weather or longer hauls, the Copley T stop is steps away. As for the hotel itself, the staff was friendly and usually helpful, the small lounge was nice, and the modest continental breakfast is a plus. So are free local calls and the CD stereo. One odd touch: a tiny refrigerator kept stocked with bottles of spring water.

Now for the annoyances. Number one: the rooms are TINY. Mine was just about large enough for myself. Also, there wasn't a closet per se; you have to hang jackets, slacks and shirts in a floor-level cabinet space. (Real wood hangers, though.) Coats go on the hook by the door. Heating/Air Conditioning is on the noisy side, though not egregiously so, but setting the control so that you neither freeze nor roast can be tricky. Operating the cable TV can be a problem for the technologically challenged, and the set is at an odd angle, but you should eventually get the hang of it. My biggest gripe is the lighting: besides the nighttable lamps, there was only a none-too-bright floor lamp. One desk guy told me I could have had another lamp shortly before I was going to check out.

Oh, yes, there's a computer and printer in the lounge. But it was virus-ridden and useless when I had to print my return boarding pass. Fortunately there's an internet cafe at 252 Newbury, a couple of blocks away, though it's not open terribly late.

The minuses didn't spoil my sleep; that and the location made this a positive experience for me. On my next trip, though, I will check out other hotels as well as this one.

8 Thank slsiege
Reviewed 15 May 2005

Stayed here recently for three nights and in short

Bad points: room 606 is small and you will struggle to fit two people and luggage (OK shopping !) in there easily.

Noisy (trash collected every night we were there).

Room was either too hot or too cold, it was difficult to get a happy medium as the aircon was noisy.

The room does not have blackout curtains or blinds.

There is construction at the entrance to the hotel, but we were not disturbed by this.

Good points: Location is excellent with everything you need very close by including some very good restaurants and shopping.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Local calls are free as is internet usage.

Our room was clean and reasonably well equiped (although the TV was in an odd place!)

So would I stay here again ? Probably not, I'd want to give somewhere else a try although I would stay in this area again.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner / Manager at Charlesmark Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2005
This is an unfair innaccurate review. This guest and potential future guests should ask direct questions about rooms and locations before they book rooms. Not complain on the internet after therelack of research and due diligence.

Our highly trained staff is taught to describe our 2 room styles accuratly.

Our standard is not large but is beatifully decorated and very stylish. It is aboout 12 x 12 plus the bathroom.

Our queen syle room is larger. About 14 x18 plus the bathroom.

It appears this guest was overly sensitive to noise and should stay outside of major cities.

Every alley in the entire city has trash collection every night. Buyer Beware!

The Air conditioning system is brand new and state of the art. It is not noisy!

We are currently at the completion of a beautiful lounge and patio expansion. The work in no way impacts the hotel guests experience.
scotland
Reviewed 14 May 2005

The Charlesmark deserves five stars for location and maybe two stars for amenities. The rooms are, in a word, small. I overheard the reception staff describing them as 'European style'. I think they should be more honest. The rooms are really pokey.

My husband and I have just returned from a three night stay and I couldn't wait to check out and come home. It was our final desination of a two week holiday in New York and New England and by far the most disappointing accommodation. The bed was small, there was no wardrobe, or anywhere to put our suitcase, and the bathroom was tiny. And this was the second room we were offered! The first room we were allocated was all of the above but had no natural light - the only window looked onto a brick wall.

On the plus side, the decor is fresh and modern, and the front desk staff were friendly enough. The location is great - 30 seconds from the T station, which was really handy getting to and from the airport. Breakfast is coffee and bagels, which was nice, but if you want your bagel toasted you have to go two floors down to the basement where you'll find the toaster (annoying). The free internet service didn't work either (very annoying).

In summary, I would recommend the Charlesmark for its location and price, but just be aware of what you're getting. It's not a terribly slick operation and I don't think the customer is always put first. Don't go for a standard room, unless you are travelling by yourself. Couples will definitely need more space.

12 Thank modoz
, Owner / Manager at Charlesmark Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2005
Our highly trained staff describes our rooms accuratly.

Our designer has been voted best in boston 3 years in a row.
Our rooms are not large but are beautifully decorated and extremly functional.

When making an economical decision to book our stanard room this guest was informed that larger rooms were available at an additional cost.
Please consider this when booking , and not complaining on the internet after your stay.

UK
Reviewed 9 May 2005

We liked the hotel very much and the staff were very friendly. There was construction going on at the entrance when we arrived but I'm sure this will be cleared soon. The rooms were clean and tidy with a good TV/stereo including free video rental. They were, however, a little small for two people and three large bags. Great location with lots of food/bars/attractions in the neighbourhood. Definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank JJWUk
Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 May 2005

This hotel can't be beat for the location and the friendly staff. However, if you are driving to Boston, this may not be the best location for you. There is really no good place to pull over and drop off your luggage. Besides the person at the front desk, there isn't anyone who can come down to help you - no bellman. Getting to the "closest" parking garage is a bit of a hassle as well. Then you have to repeat it all when you leave. Take a taxi or the T! Also, they are in the process of adding a restaurant on the ground floor so be prepared to walk through a bit a construction site on your way in.

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank CAGAL626
Reviewed 2 May 2005

My friend and I stayed at the Charlesmark Hotel for the Boston Marathon weekend. The location is ideal, and the hotel is modern, and very cool. We had a room overlooking Copley. Our room was filled with technological goodies. My favorite was the surround sound stereo with a speaker in the bathroom, while my friend took advantage of the hunderds of channels available from the satellite TV.

Obviously, Marathon Monday was the highlight of our trip. As I did not run, I watched from the hotel lobby, overlooking the finish line. A girl at the front desk helped me track my friend's running progress on a computer in the lobby. More importantly, the hotel owner and staff went out of their way to provide food and beverages in the lobby for us spectators... and at no cost!!! It seemed as if the hotel was celebrating Marathon as if it was a holiday.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Boston, a very lovely city - if you've never been, you should certainly go. Just be careful of Newbury Street, home of shopping galore, I nearly spent all my money the first night!

Stayed April 2005