Charlesmark Hotel
US$323
US$253
  • Restaurant
Boston Marriott Copley Place(Boston)(Great Value!)
US$247
US$227
  • Restaurant
Omni Parker House(Boston)(Great Value!)
US$228
Official Website
US$339
US$277
  • Room Service
The Westin Boston Waterfront(Boston)(Great Value!)
US$316
US$252
US$223
US$182
  • Bar/Lounge
US$297
US$252
  • Restaurant
Sheraton Boston Hotel(Boston)(Great Value!)
US$365
US$242
  • Restaurant
All reviewsboston public librarycopley squarerooms are smallfinish linefinishing linefresh bagelsgreat locationclassical music playingboylston streetcontinental breakfaststereo systemboston marathonqueen roombar loungetrinity churcht stationtwo blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 October 2005

Wow! I'm so glad I listened to all the posative reviews on this site. We were not disappointed. Beautiful clean comfortable rooms, awesome location and extremely helpful and friendly staff. We dropped by to see the hotel a few days before we were to stay there and they treated us like we were already guests - helping us with maps and area tips. The room we stayed in was small, but I don't mind that and very quiet. I felt it was well worth the price, which actually seemed really reasonable for all that you get. When we walked in to the room really nice soft music was playing in the speakers located around the room, cable music. They offer a video library. I had originally wanted a more rustic B&B style setting, but when I saw the room none of that mattered. Well executed modern theme. Breakfast is in their swanky lobby area with 2 computers with complimentary internet. We loved it.

5  Thank TravelerwDog
Reviewed 17 October 2005

My husband and I have just returned from visiting our daughter at college in Boston for parents weekend. Many of the hotels in the areas surrounding the colleges and universities tend to hike their prices up a bit and many of the 'affordable' hotels are often booked early. In the past we have stayed at the Fairmont Copley, the Hyatt in Cambridge, Marriott and others. The price of the Charlesmark was about $100 less than any of those for this same weekend so we decided to give it a try. So here is my review - the good and the not so good.
1. Location is great. It was raining most of the weekend but it is only about 50 yards to the T stop. The hotel is also an easy walk to just about any type of store or restaurant you could need.
2. Hotel Staff: We only met a couple members of the staff the entire time we were there and both were friendly.
3. Our room: Here is where the hotel looses points. From what I've gathered after re-reading all of the prior reviews, we were probably in one of the least desirable rooms of the hotel. Even though we payed extra ($249/ night before taxes) for a 'premium' room, our room was a dark, musty smelling room in the basement with no windows to the outside. The windows that were in the room looked out onto a hallway and have bars on them. Not only does this seem like a fire hazard to me (I asked and this would be a violation in Virginia) but the light from the hallway seeped in thru the shades and made for a miserable nights sleep. On the plus side, the room was very clean.
4. Miscellaneous: The hotel makes a big deal about offering 'hundreds of TV channels including movie channels' and bottled water, however out of those hundreds of channels probably less than a dozen actually came in focus. The bottled water is a nice touch but for water drinkers like my husband and myself, 2 small bottles doesn't go very far. Neither was a big deal for us because we are not TV watchers and I didn't mind walking around the corner to the grocery store to buy my own water.

Would I stay here again? Not at $249 a night for a basement room. My sister stayed at a bed and breakfast on Beacon Street for about $100 a night the same weekend. No it was not as close to a T stop and no it was not as new & clean feeling but it was a large 4th floor room with real working windows and a refrigerator in the room.
If choosing the Charlesmark, ask to not be in a room in the basement and remember, part of what you are paying for is the location. A few blocks further from a T stop will probably save you a hundred dollars a night.

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank kejibeard
Reviewed 15 October 2005

After a 24 hour flight/transit/lack of sleep, we really valued the wonderfully *powerful* hot shower that Charlesmark hotel provided. The room is a tad on the small side, but considering that we spent most of our time outside the hotel running around Back Bay (extremely convenient from the hotel) and neighbouring shopping centres (eg Prudential), we hardly found the size of the room a problem. The staff were helpful and the room had little additions that point to it being a boutique hotel - mini hifi/cd player, metal plated light switches (that dims the light the longer you touch the plate etc), a nice big stand-alone mirror, complimentary mineral waters etc. The bathroom had a sizeable shower 'cubicle' which was big enough for 2 (compared to other B&Bs we stayed in New England, this was a plus). Did I mention that the shower was nice, hot and powerful? lol A big plus after suffering a 24 hour flight when you just want to wash down all that stiffness and tiredness. There were lots of nearby eating places so that's not a problem. Our room on the 6th floor overlooks the Boston Public Library and the finishing line of the Boston Marathon (I think!)... Traffic noises wasn't an issue (aside from the rare sirens) plus the air conditioning helped. Internet connection is available either at the lounge area (2 PCs provided for guests) or rooms have wireless connections for those with notebooks. Breakfast was continental which meant muffins/bagels/cereals etc + coffee/tea/juice/fruits. That's good enough for us to start our day!

Overall, enjoyed our stay there! Recommended!

(ps. Excuse the mess in the photos - they were taken right after we dumped our luggage in the room. The room looks a lot more cozier than as shown - lighting from the camera flash spoils the ambience!!)

Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank saidean
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed 13 October 2005

I stayed there for my fifth anniversary and it was perfect. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very modern, spotless and I loved the decor. The beds were very comfortable and the location could not have been beat. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I will be back! The staff recommended a tremendous restaurant about a block away - L'espelier - phenomenal! Also, we came back to a nice bottle of champagne on ice in our room as a congratulatory gift. All in all, a perfect anniversary!

• Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 October 2005

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Charlesmark. Excellent location- doors down from the T, shopping and restaurants just around the corner, comfortable room (we had a queen size), and all the extras included with no additional cost (bottled water, fresh fruit, continental breakfast, computers with internet access,and even a bottle of champagne for our anniversary)- made for a wonderful vacation.
But what really pulled the package together was the attention to detail that our concierge Calvin Cherry provided us- greeting us at 1PM in the morning with a smile, after hours dinner connections, chilled champagne and a lovely note of greeting, followed by fresh coffee when we awoke after hours- and that was just the first 24 hours!
Only complaint was the musty smell of the stairs and basement hallway- avoid the basement if you can, but don't turn it down if it's your only option.
Hope to have the opportunity to return again.

8  Thank salmondan