“Super location, nice rooms”
Review of Charlesmark Hotel

Charlesmark Hotel
Ranked #66 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Montreal, Québec
“Super location, nice rooms”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We went there in december during the holidays. The hotel was nice and cosy and the room were well equiped. They even provide a travel guide that you can borrow. The staff was very helpful and nice. We had a little problem with the bathroom and it was fixed really quickly! . The hotel is located 2 steps from a subway station, across the library and close to many shops and attraction. The only downside is the lack of cheap parking close to the hotel (but isn't it the case everywhere in Boston?). We tought the included breakfast was so so (donuts, oatmeal, coffee and fruits) . I'd definitively go back again, mainly because of the location!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I have stayed at the Charlesmark three times. Usually I fly in and out of Boston in order to visit family and friends who live outside of Boston, so I stay there overnight before and/or after visiting. The Charlesmark is right outside of the T (subway), just across from the Boston Public Library. It is so easy to get there from Logan Airport, and there are so many restaurants nearby and of course Newbury Street. The rooms are small but comfortable and less than $200 per night, which is a rarity in Beantown. It's great for those who want to spend more of their money doing cultural stuff, eating out and shopping and don't need amenities like pools, gyms and spas. You'll love being in the center of it all.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank NowVoyager63
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I'm very picky about beds and the mattress was firm but comfortable for my 6'4" husband and myself...would have been nice to have a king-size though. The feather pillows were fantastic--such a small thing, such a big difference. The room was snug but not too small--you can't do better IN Copley for that price. They had nice classical music piped in on surround speakers--very nice, but they should have piped in some serious white noise for the 5:30am trash removal that seemed to go on forever. Breakfast was brief but functional: hot coffee, decent donuts, fresh fruit, oatmeal, bagels. For a 1-Night-stay it was great. Location, price, and style can't be beat. Longer stays might leave you sleep-deprived... I would definitely go again though.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Great location for this hotel but.............
Rooms were tiny, and every night I was woken at 2am with rubbish bins being emptied from the businesses behind the hotel. <My room was at the rear of the hotel, the bed was tiny, room was tiny, and when not woken by bins being emptied I had 3 hours of street sweepers keeping me awake from 2-5am.
If you choose to stay here (and the location is worth it) then ask for a room not at the front or rear but in the middle somewhere so you can sleep.
Also skip their "complientary breakfast" it is very ordinary...... great coffee around the corner in newbury street.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
dkm1776
Reviewed 9 April 2010

In general, I liked this hotel. It is a great value for the location, and included a basic breakfast. This was not a greatbreakfast but good enough for me, as I had to be at a conference for job interviews, and didn't really need any added stress to the day of finding breakfast. Like some of the other reviews on here, I found the front desk staff to be, well, unfriendly at times. I was coming and going most of the three days I was there, due to circumstances, and rarely did I get a hello or acknowledgement of my entering the building. The exception were the wonderfully cool, friendly housekeepering staff and the person who checked me in. The one time I ate at the bar, there were three bartenders on, but only one was actually attentive to the customers. Like some others, I had to be a conference the day I checked out, so before my flight I asked the staff to hold my bags. Having read the reviews on here, I was aware that this meant my bags were going to be left tied up in the bar and in plain sight of passersby. This did not really bother me, as I was aware of this issue before I checked in. The staff was also nice enough to hold my laptop bag behind the desk for most of the day, which was much appreciated.
Only once did I come back and the room was not made up, unlike some of the other reviews listed here, but again, I was keeping odd hours at the hotel. As a single traveler used to city living, the size of the room did not bother me so much, but it seems I may have recieved some sort of upgrade. The bathroom was large and well designed. I found the bed plenty comfortable, though I agree that the living space may be small for some. I did not mind, as I was travelling alone. My main complaint about the Charlesmark was the room lighting, which was so bad I thought I might go blind after my three nights, as I am a reader and computer user and need light. The room faced an air shaft, had only one window, and no overhead light in the main space-- only lights by the door, and dim lights by the bedside tables, and which did not provide much light.
Overall, I recommend this hotel, but keep in mind all of the things that have been mentioned in previous reviews and you won't be dissapointed. I've stayed in higher priced hotels in similar cities and have recieved a lot less for my dollar. I would recommend, however, that the management work on the lighting issue and making sure that the front desk staff acknowlegdes people when they come into the hotel. This is big for single people.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Masschusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2010

The Charlesmark is squeezed into a narrow space. It has minimal function facilities and no lobby. We felt as if our function was double booked, and we could have piled into any old bar for a better experience. We were squeezed into a narrow bar while the while the public was served on the sidewalk and a political meeting took place in a back room. Noise level was awful. Waiter had to clear paths for guest to enter and exit hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
New Orleans
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Just got home from being in boston over a week and we are soo glad that we chose to Charlesmark! The location is awesome..right at the finish line of the boston marathon, very close to very good restaurants and shops, across the street from the great landmarks. You can not go wrong here..the staff is the friendlist in town, always smiling and welcoming, the owner and bar manager are the greatest and very accomdating. We traveled with a young child, and it was perfect for everyone. The bar is a very fun hangout, and the decor is stylish and modern. Made our trip to Boston very fun! Definitely recommend the hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family