“I would stay again”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane
“I would stay again”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is a beautiful modern hotel right in the heart of Boston.
I am Australian, so perhaps I have different expectations.
I was delighted with everything..except....the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
I need a cup of tea whilst I get ready for the day. I also like a shower cap to keep my hair dry. This is the first hotel EVER that I have stayed in that was missing either!!!
This was disappointing.
However, I eventually found tea on level 3 (near the restaurant) and I got a shower cap from the concierge.
Apert from that, that room was comfortable, the wine reception at 5pm a great occasion to chat with other travellers, and the staff were tirelessly helpful.
I would stay again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear snowmomma,

I'm still not sure if you modeled your review's format after ee cummings, but it definitely reads like poetry.

We have tea AND coffee making apparati available upon request (and nearly anything else you can think of). Same goes for shower caps. Trust me that we can and will take care of you.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My business brings me to Boston frequently and I always stay at the Nine Zero. From my first visit and every time after, I have been beyond happy. The hotel itself is clean and chic (test still warm and inviting). The rooms are a very good size for a city and the location is close to everything (the Beantown Pub next door isn't too loud and frankly, has some of the best, most reasonable lobster rolls in MA). On my recent trip I had the chance to finally bring my husband and dog. The staff went above and beyond to make us all feel welcome and special. Thomas checked us in and the rest of our visit remembered us, offered assistance, had a kind word for us every time we saw him. The new lounge is relaxing and fun. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear CeeCee0429,

Welcome back and thank you for sharing the good times with your family.The more the merrier of course. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Safe travels,

edmonton
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here in late November. Hotel is walking distance to great shopping, Fanuil Hall, and the train. Staff is very friendly and the rooms are great - pay for the view side - worth it. Did not use the restaurant during this stay.

Room Tip: view side room are worth it
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear jpilat1 -

Thank you for stopping by with your friends. Boston's always very accessible (yes, even in Winter) and we're at the center of the Hub. Please make sure you visit Shaher and team in Highball Lounge on your next visit. His cocktails are Dy-no-mite (thank you JJ Walker).

Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The location for this hotel was ideal for downtown Boston. Felt like you were in walking distance for most things.

Check-in experience was exceptionally smooth and quick. As was check-out. They seem very well organised. Limited breakfast menu but tasty nonetheless. Bar was busy on the nights I visited but not my kind of place (I'm a bit more spit-and-sawdust).

Gym was small but there was only ever 1 or 2 people in at any time so that worked well.

Room was compact but fit for purpose.

I'll certainly be using this hotel in future.

Room Tip: Room 511 was quiet and out of the way.
Dear Stephen M,

Thank you for choosing Nine Zero on your recent business trip. We have definitely designed the hotel with you in mind (although I guess not the bar - otherwise we would have added more spit and sawdust - luckily we know where to find those for you).

Look forward to seeing you again on your next trip across the pond.

Take care,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for New Years Eve and loved it. From the moment we arrived in the lobby, we were impressed with the art and architecture – everything felt modern and fresh. We were even more impressed with the room: it was spacious, funky, and full of amenities like a large writing desk, sitting chairs and side-table, and a large closet. But it was the view that was over the top. We literally watched the fireworks over Boston Common from our bed! It was AWESOME.

Overall, the hotel was quiet, clean, and a pleasure to stay at. You will pay for this however, since the location is about as prime as it gets in Boston.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Aaron T -

I hope reviewing your NYE stay wasn't one of your resolutions, otherwise you're running a little behind. Regardless of what promises you made to yourself, I am thrilled we could make good on our promise to you of having a great time ringing in the new year. This year we'll even have Highball Lounge open for a drink pre- and/or post- fireworks.

omaha
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed at the Nine Zero on a December 2013 business trip. There are many reasons to recommend the hotel. The night desk staff was exceptional, the room was quite, unlike many of the centrally located hotels, and the decor was unique, without the sterile feeling of some modern hotels. Price wise, competitive to other downtown B-town venues.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear drjlinder,

Thank you for choosing Nine Zero. Always sorry to hear that you had to work the whole time (but of course we understand that's what brought us together - so we're not too sorry).

Happy holidays,

East Patchogue, New York
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I chose to stay at Nine Zero out of a slew of comparable hotels in Boston due to its location, a good rate by signing up to be a Kimpton In-touch member and because it looked stylish and sleek (whereas some other area hotels look a bit dated or stuffy). The hotel was very clean with great choices for interior design in the small lobby area. We also noticed it smelled great (a weird thing to say, but it's true). The staff was exceptionally friendly.

When booking, I sprung for the upgrade to the King Downtown view which meant a King Bed, slightly bigger space and a guarenteed downtown view. Ok, so the view wasn't great (giant spotlight in front of the window and a view largely comprised of an adjacent rooftop (16th floor) BUT looking beyond that were nice views of the river, Boston Commons, the Prudential Center (and with help from some binoculars) Fenway Park. I think it was worth the extra money for this room compared to lower ones that likely had views straight into the adjacent office building.

I also thought the maid service was well above average with a turndown service including putting on a "crackling fire" on the TV, providing chocolates, filling the ice bucket and informing us of tomorrow's weather (along with the basic cleaning of the room and turning down of the bed).

The new highball lounge was a great place to hangout and get a drink and certainly not your typical hotel bar. This I think is a great addition, especially when it's cold and/or rainy outside and you don't feel like walking to any other watering holes. The front desk also provided us with a $10 credit to use in the mini bar (which came in handy when we wanted some water and didn't feel like walking to 7-11). Another note I want to make is that when checking in the valet wrote the daily rate on the ticket and the check in staff wrote our daily rate on the key holder - assuring there would be no surprises regarding what we were paying.

A few things that weren't so great is the valet area which was stacked with cars and quite difficult to navigate (not much they can do about this), the ipad in the room would have been a nice touch, if it had an internet browser. Since it lacked this key feature (for reasons unknown) it was basically useless aside from a nice platform to explore google maps from. The bathroom was spacious, but there was no exhaust fan so the room quickly filled with steam during a shower and rendered the mirrors useless for quite some time.

Overall this hotel was a great choice and we would certainly come back again, though they have a few things they can improve.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Kimpton In-touch for discounted rate, free wi-fi and other perks
Green Features: They made an effort to be "green" through several initiatives, though some things (like leaving the tv on during turn-down service) don't agree with the rest of the "green" practices they have
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JRook229
Dear JRook229,

Thank you for choosing Nine Zero and for taking the time to write your A to Z review of your experience. The views are every bit worth the upgrade if available. With 19 stories and sitting on Beacon Hill - we have a great viewpoint of the whole city (and better than anybody of that roof next door). Sorry about the ipad being difficult to navigate. There is a link on the bottom crawl labeled "Surf's Up" that will get you on the interwebs in no time.

Happy travels,