“An excellent hotel”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my husband and teenage son. It is the perfect location for Boston - located right near Boston Common and a great starting point to walk the Freedom Trail. The room was spacious, spotless with lush décor. Very comfy beds.The 5pm wine hour was a treat - we made sure we were back to the hotel in time to enjoy a few wines before going out for dinner. We enjoyed breakfast and an after dinner cocktail at the Highball Lounge - food was great and the service was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SheridanRR
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Hello SheridanRR,

You are right; we are certainly well situated for beginning the exploration of Boston! I am glad you were able to navigate yourself back to the hotel in time to enjoy our evening wine reception and a post dinner cocktail in our Highball Lounge.

We hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We planned our first trip to Boston with our college age children for New Year's week, and wanted an AWESOME hotel in a good location - we found it in Nine Zero. From the ease of booking, to the unbelievable welcome when we checked in, to the beautiful, spacious room with a view over the water and skyline - we loved every minute of our stay. The daily happy hour was a great touch, the coffee and hot chocolate bar was great for the cold mornings during our stay, and the staff just could not do enough for us. The room was impeccably maintained and very quiet. The location is perfect to see all of Boston, whether it's walking, getting a taxi, or using the subway across the street. We will highly recommend this hotel and look forward to experiencing a different side of Boston with a summer return visit!

Room Tip: We had a top floor two queen bed room with a skyline/water view - beautiful!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Hi nancy y,

I am thrilled you were happy with the location of our hotel for your family week in Beantown. We all know how challenging it can be to please everyone. I am glad you enjoyed your accommodations, our amenities like our coffee and wine reception, and the friendliness of our staff.

Please let us know when you are coming back,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I took my girlfriend to this hotel for her birthday. The check in was a breeze and the staff made us feel like a million bucks. We were upgraded to a corner room over looking the commons which had to be the best room in the hotel. Management had left us with a bottle of wine and cupcakes to start the celebration.

Wine hour was a great place to start before going out for dinner. The host even came around at the end to top everyone's glasses off which I thought was a nice touch. Checking out was a breeze as well. They had charged me for parking when I didn't have a car, but quickly removed the fee without any fuss.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Boston besides the Nine Zero and will be back this month.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Evan L,

I have to imagine you are sitting pretty with your girlfriend right now! I am glad you had the opportunity to stay in one of our fantastic rooms facing the commons, complete with cupcakes and wine. I am sorry about the parking mix up, but glad to see we whisked away the charge.

We look forward to welcoming you back later this month,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Nine Zero the weekend after Christmas. We had a nice stay. One glitch was that I had reserved a king skyline view room, which we didn't receive. We got in pretty late on Friday night, and I didn't realize we weren't in a view room until the next morning, when I called the front desk. A manager promptly called me back and apologized, saying that they didn't have any available king view rooms but that we could have a $25 room credit for each night. I didn't really want to switch rooms for one night only and thought that was fair; I had booked during the Kimpton sale and already had a good room rate. As for the room itself, I had asked for a quiet room and we got one. I liked the toiletries--C.O. Bigelow. The bed support or mattress, or both, could use replacing. When we checked in, we used the Kimpton secret word and got a bottle of wine--that was nice too. And the second morning, we had a bag of candy canes at the door with our newspaper. Thoughtful touches. The hotel has a great location on the Freedom Trail, right across from the Granary Burying Ground. It's also a 3-min walk to the Park St. T stop. Despite the mix-up with our room type, we'd definitely stay here again when we visit Boston.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Hello kissthecook,

I am sorry we weren’t able to place you in the proper category room when you arrived, but I hope you made good use of the room credit. I am glad you enjoyed your quiet room location and amenities, as well as the benefits of using the secret word. Please accept my apologies for the mattress not being as comfortable as you expected.

Keep on cooking and we will see you soon,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is a very nice boutique-type hotel which my mother and I stayed in this past weekend. I love the decor and the employees are very friendly. Check in was a breeze and they have a wine reception for guests which was a nice touch. The room was a decent size and beds were very comfortable. There stereo system/docking station was appreciated. The zebra robes were fun and the bathroom was a good size for 2 women to get ready in. It is in a very convenient location to catch a cab (or walk if the weather was better) to nearby attractions. The valet was $42 which was a little steep but to be expected downtown - and worth it to stay out of the the snow!

Overall a great stay, especially with the deal we got as it is slow season in Boston now.

Room Tip: We were in 1308 which was close to the elevators and a little noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Hi lmd86,

Thank you for choosing us for your mother-daughter weekend! I am glad you liked the décor and the comforts of your guest room and that you found our staff to be very warm and helpful. Joining our wine reception is always a great way to start the evening.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here the weekend after Christmas and we could not have selected a better hotel!
A few days prior to our arrival I received an email asking if we were celebrating anything, etc. The weekend prior I graduated with my Master's degree so I responded with that information along with a photo of the two of us from that day.
Upon our arrival we were greeted with smiles and appreciation. We got in the room and were surprised to find a chilled bottle of champs, a fruit tray and the picture I emailed accompanied by a hand written letter from the hotel manager! That really made our trip feel special.
The room was spacious, clean and the bed extremely cozy. We really enjoyed the Zebra print robes while relaxing in the evening.
The friendliness of our room service employee really stood out. She was extremely polite, accommodating, happy and welcoming. She brought us pitchers of ice water with lemon every night and remembered us during the day when we saw her in the hotel.
It may be hard to believe, but the staff at this hotel made us feel like family visiting instead of just customers. Next time I'm in Boston, I know where I'll be staying :)
Thank you Kimpton!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Treemont for fun views of the city.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Melissa P,

Congratulations again on earning your Master’s degree; what an achievement! I am glad you enjoyed your arrival amenity and the framed graduation photo. It was so nice to read that you received thoughtful service from our Room Service team member and overall that you felt like you were visiting family. That certainly makes us feel like we got it right, and that puts a smile on our face. We look forward to your next trip to the mainland!

Mahalo,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have only been to Boston once previously (brief stop on my way to the Cape) but Nine Zero experience left me wanting more. My boyfriend and I were visiting friends outside Boston for the new year but decided to treat ourselves to a night in the city. From the start the experience was awesome, online booking seamless with AAA rate and easy to use. Then, (we were arriving early then expected I wanted to call to try to drop our bags off) Thomas, the concierge hooked us up! I had put that I wanted a higher room because I had heard the views are amazing, Thomas said my basic room wasn't ready but he could upgrade us to the 18th floor! I was in shock I have never really had an experience this great before even stepping foot into the hotel.

When we finally arrived check in was seamless, lobby was clean fresh water and warm cider added that extra touch which, not super special I know but the fact that its there was great to warm us up. Upon entering the room we immediately gasped; im not a Boston expert but the view really exceeded expectations. Great view of the river and Boston common, and even government center.

We were able to freshen up and get ready for the short walk to Boston Common then onto Newbury St. (all very close)... then we made it back just in time for wine hour which was a great touch to get ready for our night out. We were welcomely greeted by John the front desk manager. Very friendly and offered us our card really just a genuine staff all around. (the kimpton instagram even liked my pic and commented on it)

After going out for dinner and such we arrived back to our cozy room and gorgeous room.
Coffee bar in the morning on the 2nd floor awesome set up... right outside elevator and perfect for that morning you don't wanna be seen and you're still in your Pjs. hahaha

Although we were there for one night the Nine Zero left me wanting more for sure.
Upon checkout my flight was delayed and I was able to crash in the lobby and enjoy the wifi and cider without feeling that the staff was annoyed by me presence.

We are hoping to be able to frequent Boston more as we have friends up here; as recent grads the Nine Zero is a bit out of our price range, but definitely had no regrets this trip.

Thank you, thank you thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as you can.....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Andrew E,

Happy New Year and thank you for recounting your wonderful arrival experience with Thomas our Concierge and the complimentary room upgrade he provided you. I am glad you were able to enjoy our afternoon hot cider and evening wine hour, after your short walk to many of the sites nearby.

We look forward to your next visit,