“Wonderful, But at a Steep Price”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The only fault we could find with this hotel is its steep price of admission. It is a very modern understated property clearly geared for the business traveler whose company is paying the way. Our small queen-bed room was very nicely furnished and even included a yoga mat, although you'd have to take it into the hallway to use it because there is no space in the room to unroll it. Housekeeping was extremely efficient, having our room fully serviced within the hour or so that we were down for breakfast. Breakfast at the second-floor Highball Lounge was good and moderately priced, and the evening happy hour in the lobby was a nice touch. Staff was friendly and knowledgable. The hotel has quiet neighbors (the burial ground where Paul Revere is buried and a Baptist Church), but traffic on Tremont street was frantic. The rooms are well isolated from that, though.

For old-world charm and quieter cocktails, walk a block down to the Parker House and unwind.

It was a great stay at a steep price.

Room Tip: A lower-floor room facing Tremont Street will give you a great view to the burial ground where Paul...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hello Greg T,

I am glad you enjoyed our modern décor, breakfast service and our evening hosted wine reception. We do offer larger rooms at different price points if you really want to work out in the comfort of your own room.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Located very close to Boston Common, and in the heart of Boston. Described by some as ' funky' it is smaller by the standards of some of the hotels in the city. However the customer service of this hotel outshines every other hotel in which we have stayed...ever. Definitely a 'can do' approach, and every request satisfied, with a smile. A great deal of thought given to the customers needs, everything you may have forgotten to pack is probably available in your room. There is even a yoga mat in the room for guest's use. The bed is fantastically comfortable and feather pillows as standard .... More choice of pillows on request. The room was very quiet and we were never bothered by any noise from other guests. Our rate included continental breakfast, which was excellent and included freshly cooked croissant and muffin. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel .... and it's outstanding service from everyone we encountered, particularly Amy, Patricia and Thomas.

Hello Ralph R,

I am thrilled you enjoyed our location, the little extras provided and of course the wonderful service you received from our Front Desk and Concierge Teams!

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We've stayed at Kimpton Hotels before and this one met the same standard. It's in a great central location meaning that we didn't have to rent a car for our 3 night visit, which in turn, meant that we got to skip the expensive parking charge! Only a $20 cab ride from the airport!
A couple of downsides - the refrigerator in the room was sealed so that if you broke the tab you were immediately charged for use of the mini bar. In other Kimpton hotels we've stayed in, we have had the use of the refrigerator and then were only charged for any items we used, which is always a nice touch to keep water, soda etc. cool during our stay.
The other downside was that the party in the room next to us were very noisy at around 3am - not the hotels fault and we didn't mention it to anyone. I guess it just means that the walls are pretty thin!!
Other than that, a beautifully decorated lobby, comfy room and great location. Would definitely stay here again!

Hi Sarah W,

I’m glad you found it easy to get to us from the airport, and that you enjoyed the décor of the hotel and comfort of your room. There is no automatic charging mechanism based on the seal being broken on our mini-bars.

We look forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I just returned from my first venture to Boston and could not be happier with the decision to stay here. Room was spacious and well kept. Only negative to the room was the lack of view, but that didn't bother me one bit as I spent three days wandering around the city. The location of this hotel is perfect for walking to many of the main attractions in the Boston area.

Loved the free wine hour the hotel had each night, it gave us something to look forward to after a long day of exploring Boston.

The staff were always pleasant and eager to help. The two concierges (Megan and Thomas...I think) were beyond great. They had plenty of good suggestions on where my girlfriend and I should eat and drink at night. It was pretty obvious that they took our age/personalities into account and made their recommendations accordingly.

Overall, this place far surpassed my expectations and is the reason I will look into staying at Kimpton hotels in the future.

1  Thank FloresA95
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hi FloresA95,

Sorry you didn’t have much a view, but I am glad you found your room to be large and well maintained. I am pleased you made the most of our central location for seeing the sights and hitting up some of the nearby restaurants and bars as suggested by Megan and Thomas.

I’m glad you will be seeking out other Kimpton Hotels during your travels.

Take care,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a 4 day weekend and the hotel did not disappoint. We loved our swanky room and the fabulous bathroom - the shower was AMAZING. It is in a great location, walking distance to everything a tourist would want to see in Boston! When we arrived, it was late at night and we were able to head next door to the Beantown Pub and grab a burger and a beer. We will definitely stay at the Nine Zero the next time we head to Boston!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah D
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Hello Sarah D,

That’s my kind of weekend; 4 days! I am thrilled you were so pleased with your guest room and shower, and that you made the most of our centralized location.

We look forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I used to travel to Boston for work a good bit and this is my far my favourite place to stay. I love all Kimpton hotels and this one doesn't disappoint. While the rooms may be a little smaller than some of the bigger chairs, they always work for me. I love the location, service, in-room amenities, cocktail hour, gym and fruity waters. I look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank McGrunkiss

Hello McGrunkiss,

I am pleased you like all the amenities our hotel has to offer, as well as our fabulous centralized location. Let’s hope your frequency of travel to Boston goes back to what it used to be.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We live pretty close to Boston and stay at the Nine Zero for special occasion nights out (Anniversary, birthday). Overall the location is great - right next to the Common, Faneuil Hall, Theater District, Chinatown. The hotel, like all kimpton hotels, has a fun and funky design - so if you don't want cookie cutter this is a great place. The room was very comfortable and my extra pillow request was fulfilled. Room Service (for breakfast) has to be one of the fastest I've experienced. I like how you text the valet when you need your car.

Only cons is that getting into the valet parking can be tough. It's down a dead end little alley so if a lot of people are trying to get out or if deliveries are being made it's hard to get in. Also just with this visit the tub drained superslow during my shower that I ended up standing in a small pond. And I was a little bummed that during previous visits we have come back from dinner to find a little anniversary present in our room and this time there was no recognition (not even turn down service) - but really that's super minor - but it is always nice to see!

Hello WannaBTraveling2,

I’m glad you enjoyed our ideal location and unique décor. I was pleased to note you received your pillow, but I’m sorry if we didn’t understand this was a special occasion for you. Additionally, please accept my apologies about the shower issue.

We look forward to your next staycation,