“Good location, nice hotel”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reading,
“Good location, nice hotel”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Nice hotel, not excessively pricey, Free wine okay, cheese a bit weird (kind of cheesy puffs). Room was a good size and nice decor. The restaurant food was really nice - Prawn cocktail highly recommended (not your average prawn in a glass). Husband said the gym was okay, but a bit basic. Good location, pretty central. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 22 September 2009

The main plus point for us was the location of Nine Zero. Right in the middle of Boston, on the freedom trail and close to 2 subway stations and Faneuil Hall which was great for restaurants and souvenir shops.

The hotel itself was fine for a few nights stay. The room was a good size, with a great mini bar, the prices were steep though, so we used the Seven Eleven a few doors down instead! The bathroom was ok, clean and the shower worked fine. Bed was comfortable too.

The wine reception held each night at 5pm was good for a free glass of wine which we took to our room as the lounge area was full, so get there early if you want to sit in the lounge.

The restaurant was expensive, but the food was good, and had a good atmosphere, but we preferred to eat out in Boston anyway where it was usually half the price.

Our stay was fine, and for the price was good value, and again the location couldn't be beaten!

1 Thank Crazycat
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2009
Dear Crazycat,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel in Boston. We appreciate the comments and compliments! I'm glad you particularly enjoyed the location and the evening wine reception. We look forward to your next visit!
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 21 September 2009

The Nine Zero is fantastically located just 1/2 block off Boston Common with very convenient access to the Park St T station. Directly across the street from Old Granary Burial Ground and within short walking distance of most historic sites. Nice room, well appointed. However, with a price of over $300 per night, I expect a bit more. Air conditioning had to be turned as far down as it would go and fan had to be kept on at all times or the room became uncomfortable and stuffy. Shower curtain was moldy and shower drained VERY slowly, which resulted in standing water up to my ankles during each shower. Had to call down to the Front Desk for an additional roll of toilet paper to prevent running out. Really, even Motel 6 provides an extra roll, just in case, particularly in a room designed for 2-4 people! I searched high and low, but no extra roll anywhere. Even with arranged late checkout on our final day, housekeeping insisted on visiting twice to try to make up the room before we'd left (communication seems to be a little lacking). Must join Kimpton One Touch to get free wi-fi in the hotel, which seems rather pennypinching for such an upscale place. Why is it the hotels you pay the most for offer the fewest free amenities? On the up side, the front desk and lobby staff were very helpful and quite pleasant. As Kimpton One Touch members, we received complimentary champagne upon arrival. Also enjoyed the nightly wine reception. Room service dining was great, particularly the brioche grilled cheese, and priced on par with restaurants around the city. On the whole, my friend and I enjoyed our stay, but some of the fairly minor issues really seemed out of place in such a high-end establishment.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SpeedwayCJ
mholz1, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2009
Dear SpeedwayCJ,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review on tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate all feedback given by our most valued guests.
I do see your stay was overall a plesant one. I am deeply sorry for the listed issues you had in regards to the room, WiFi, Toilet Paper, and late check out.
I ensure you that is most certainly not the "norm" here at Nine Zero. Your comments have been forwarded to appropriate department managers for future development and we hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Nine Zero Hotel
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I had to best experience at the Nine Zero 9/18-9/20/09 for a girls weeked for four 40ish friends. What could have been a major screw up on my part turned out great only because of the staff at the hotel. I had booked the hotel at $269/night for a a two queen room a month ago. I got an email offering a one day sale for the same room at $199 as part of a Kimpton Loyalty program. Seeing the opportunity to save money, I cancelled the higher reservation and rebooked at the lower price. I accidentally booked the new reservation a day too ealry. When I arrived at the hotel, they thought I was a no-show the night before. Instead of charging me for the no-show, they immediately found me a new room and did not charge me for the night I did not show up. They could not have been nicer about it. They even noticed my friend was pregnant and gave her a coupon for $10 off anything in the mini-bar in she got hungry. They even upgraded us to a room with a view (15th floor) for the $199 night. I have stayed at 8 Kimpton hotels (DC, New Orleans etc) before and this was my favorite. The bedding was incredibly comforable (down comfortors and feather pillows with very high thread count) and I am a total sleep snob. The bathroom was roomy enough for four women to get ready for a nigt on the town. The shower had the perfect water pressure, we were all raving about it at dinner. I loved the location of the hotel . The decor was modern and funky but comfortable. The wine reception was perfect as usual for a Kimpton. All my friends were so pleased with my hotel selection and we all felt it was a great deal. I just can't say enough about the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I could not have loved it any more!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thejarvisfamily
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2009
Dear Jarvis Family,
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us at the Nine Zero hotel. I'm glad the staff was helpful in getting your reservation sorted out. It looks like you and your friends had a wonderful time, and I'm thrilled that you've ranked us at the top of all the Kimpton Hotels you have visited! Many thanks again, and we look forward to your next visit!
Reviewed 20 September 2009

My first visit a few years ago, me and my wife were treated like rednecks, the staff was very dismissive and wanted us GONE. While the amenities were beautiful, the stay was very hard on our persons...
However the new staff at the hotel wanted to make amends. Our concierge Scotty must have talked to me on the phone a dozen times to set up something wonderful to make it up to us. He spoke to me on the phone for a half an hour at a time and was as patient as a long time friend. For my 3 year anniversary he had my room set up with champagne, chocolate strawberries and rose petals on every surface. He didn't just go the extra mile, he ran a marathon. It was a stay meant for a celebrity, and he made sure we felt it. We didn't want to leave the room.
And at checkout, Michael was just as gracious and eloquent in his demeanor. Clean cut, and charming he made us feel like we were the ONLY guests in the hotel, and he was sad to see us go. My wife and I, only live fifteen minutes away and leave the country several times a year, but just for the roots of it all, we like to delve into the Boston scene just to be a part of our city. And these two OUTSTANDING men made us decide that on our every return, we would make the Nine Zero our place of tradition.
Ask for Scotty or Michael personally for the best service you shouldn't even get at a hotel, but they do it anyways, and do it with the joy you'd expect someone to take in their profession.

2 Thank fenrisdowned1
Singapore
Reviewed 12 September 2009

A nice hotel if a little pretentious. Location is central but in the evening you have to run a gauntlet of night creatures in front of the Park St. subway, 7 eleven and Burger King - cross the street before you get to that part makes it nicer.
Breakfast was good, but $5 for a cup of coffee!? DId not like having to give alot of personal info online to get the 'free' internet but it worked fine.
Wine testing evening looked cheesy, and we did not partake. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Gym was good, but could not lower TV volume. I would recommend this hotel but not at +$350/nite

1 Thank Calvin H
mholz1, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2009
Dear HoltFamily,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review. We appreciate the feedback. We pride ourselves on providing superior customer service and feedback like yours helps us gain insight into how we can improve the overall guest experience. Again thank you for your feeback and review. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Regards,
Nine Zero Staff
SE LONDON
Reviewed 5 September 2009

Stayed here from 2nd-4th September and was not impressed at all.
Staff on main desk were friendly and helpful, but our room was not nice at all. They had two dressing gowns in the room which I would not let my dog sleep on, one was washed out and had a hole in the sleep (elbow) and the the other one (also washed out) had been given a new belt that didnt match! My husband sat in reception with our son for 1-1/2 hours while the wine fest was on and was not offered a single glass even though people were coming in and being handed it!! The bath room was not clean (especially the bath - which I had to clean before using it) the windows were filthy - so dirty you couldnt see out properly. The staff generally were very polite and helpful but the room we had (1209) needed a good clean and new soft furnishings - the bed a fake furry cover which moulted all over my hubby!!! The towels also had a really nasty weird smell about them. I do NOT recommend this hotel. Oh yes, and the internet cost nearly 6 dollars for 15 minutes!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AUTISMSMITH
mholz1, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2009
AUTISMSMITH,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to complete this review. It is through direct customer feedback like yours that we gain insight into guests’ experiences and identify some of our opportunities for improvement.

I want to sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced regarding the issues you faced. I want you to know that I will forward your comments to the appropriate Department Managers for further discussion and future development. If any other details exist that you would like to address or bring to our attention, please feel free to contact any hotel manager at your leisure.
I understand that while in the Boston area, you do have a choice of hotels, and I want to ensure that it remains the Nine Zero Hotel. Again, We truly appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Nine Zero Staff