“Treated like royalty, regardless of what you pay (or don't pay).”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #19 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 November 2009

First: we LOVE the Kimpton Hotel Group. Not only are their boutique hotels funky, stylish, creative, and elegant - they are inclusive and eco-friendly. They have long been advocates for LGBT rights and causes, and have been on the forefront of 'greening' the hotel experience. Add to this impeccable design and an exceptional staff, and the decision of where to stay is an easy one.
In the last few years, I watched the discount emails and checked the Kimpton site regularly. I am often attending concerts in Boston and Cambridge for work, and these include drinks with the musicians that I work with. My partner would get worried about me driving home after a cocktail or two late at night up to our home 30 minutes north. I saw an amazing discounted rate at the Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge for one of the nights I knew I had to be in town really late. I went to the concert and my partner had dinner, went to the wine hour, and slept comfortably, knowing I was safe and would take a cab ride back to the hotel after the concert. This worked out so well, that we ended-up staying at the Marlowe several times that year, and when we went away to DC for a night, our only dilemma was WHICH Kimpton to stay in (Hotel George - met many famous people, but that's a different story). All of these stays culminated in one complimentary In Touch Reward Night. When discussing how we would celebrate my birthday, it occurred to me that we could use the Reward Night we had been saving. Even though it was less than a week away, we had no trouble at all reserving the room at the Nine Zero. The In Touch Reservation was easy and the woman on the phone was so pleasant and happy.
We were so excited to get away for the weekend and to enjoy this luxury hotel (for free!!) that we arrived around 10:30 in the morning. I knew our chances of having a room ready was slim, so we planned to go shopping and have lunch until the room was ready. While they were tagging our bags to hold, my partner remembered that he had left our list of specific shops at home. We stepped over to the concierge desk and sat down. That is when our life changed for the better. We asked Thomas, the concierge, if he would be kind enough to write down the addresses of a few specialty shops we were interested in finding. He knew a few right away off the top of his head, and went about searching for the addresses and writing them out. He was so friendly and genuinely interested in helping us. In conversation, I mentioned that it was my birthday that we were celebrating, along with my partner's birthday and our 10 year anniversary together, which had both occurred within the last few weeks. He gave his congratulations, handed us the list with his own directions, and we went on our way. About 30 minutes later, Thomas called me on my cell to tell me that he had upgraded our room to a magnificent view room, and that it would be available at 1pm. I thanked him and giddily blurted out the good news to my partner. After some shopping and lunch, we came back to the hotel. Thomas' shift was just ending, but he welcomed us back as he was leaving his post, and wished us a pleasant stay. If I had known all that he had arranged, I probably would have kissed him right there. You see, when we got to the desk to check-in and pick-up our bags, we were greeted with flutes of champagne and a congratulations. Nice! They knew we were eating at KO Prime, the wonderful restaurant in the hotel, so they gave us a coupon for 10% off. Really Nice!! Then they added 2 complimentary cocktails. Super Nice!!! The very friendly bellman took us to our room (The 16th floor!) as we sipped the champagne. As we walked into the room, we both fell silent. It was gorgeous! The view outside the room was stunning. The spire of Park Street Church lit-up, the lights of the city - breathtaking. The room itself was a great size, the bed huge and ultra-comfy, lots of seating and workspace, lighted wardrobe, huge bathroom with Aveda products, and a lot of style and detail in every nook. The best, and most heart-warming thing in the room, though, was a note from Thomas (see photo for detail), accompanied by a bowl of fresh fruit, 2 bottles of water, a bottle of red wine, and a chilled bottle of champagne! This was too much. We were overcome with excitement, and warmed hearts at all of the thoughtful touches that went above and beyond making us feel welcome and celebrated. To add to this wonderful night, we had an amazing meal at KO Prime (with free cocktails and 10% off the bill!), and a well-deserved and utterly blissful night's sleep. We checked-out the next morning and left our bags once again while we continued shopping and going to the MFA for the day. Upon our return to pick-up our bags and our car, all of our new friends were back on duty. There is no way I could adequately thank Thomas for what he had done to make our stay so magical. The front desk staff, our bellman friend, and even the valet all seemed to be in on it. They were all eager to hear how we had enjoyed the extras and the personal touch to our weekend. It would take us some time to be able to save the money to pay for such a weekend at this wonderful hotel again. But it would be completely worth every sacrifice to make it happen. Even though I know this experience could not be duplicated, I know that there is a comfortable room, a caring staff and a very special and dedicated concierge waiting to make me feel like a prince among men.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TikiAlan
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2009

Dear TikiAlan,
We are so thrilled to hear about your wonderful stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel! It certainly sounds like you had a memorable experience, and I'm happy that our staff helped. I will pass on your compliments to Thomas as well! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,783)

Reviewed 16 November 2009

The hotel is in a good location, but we got a very good price with Hotwire and the room wasn't very good. It was very little and we were given a room for physically handicapped. We ordered room service and the food terrible and expensive.
The room was pre-payed but the moment we got they they charged more than 200€ to my credit card, "just in case"

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
mholz1, Director Of Front Office at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2009

Dear Madrid,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to complete this tripadvisor review. It is through direct customer feedback like yours that we gain insight into guests’ experiences and identify some of our opportunities for improvement. I want to sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced regarding the issues you faced during your stay with us. I want you to know that I will forward your comments to the appropriate Department Managers for further discussion and future development. I understand that while in the Boston area, you do have a choice of hotels, and I want to ensure that it remains the Nine Zero Hotel. Again, I truly appreciate your feedback and I am very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. Please do not hesitate to contact the hoetl directly if we can be of further assistance regarding anything at all. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2009

The Nine Zero is a fantastic choice for a single traveler or a couple visiting Boston, either for business or pleasure. Like all Kimpton hotels I've stayed in, this one has a real sense of style, both in terms of the decor, but also when it comes to the overall ambiance. Who can complain about a wine tasting in the lobby at 5:00? Or the free wireless (for Kimpton InTouch members)? For me, hotels that charge for wireless are high on my list of places to avoid. The Nine Zero is in the theater district, so if that's where you are headed, you'll certainly want to consider this hotel. The T station (Park) is just half a block away, so the rest of the city is easily accessible. And at check in, they handed over a coupon for two free items from the mini bar. My only complaint? No coffee maker in the room. Duncan Donuts is a 30 second walk (where in Boston is the Double D not a 30 second walk?), but in the rain this morning, having to walk out for coffee was a little annoying.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2009

The breakfasts @ the hotel are superb. The beds are so comfortable & with such wonderful staff you could not pick a better place to stay. Ideal location, close to the commons, gardens, Quince Market, Fanueil Hall. Use the tube if you don't want to walk. If its your first time in Boston do the Duck Tour which is very informative & fun (wrap up for the cold weather) If you like art then the Museum Of Fine Art is wonderful & very easy to reach from the Nine Zero by tube. We are returning next spring & of course to the Nine Zero Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2009

My stay at the Nine Zero was absolutely fantastic!!!!!

Having read here on Trip Advisor about how amazing the service is, I decided to put in a small request. I called the morning of our reservation and asked if our room could have a “nice view,” since it was my friend’s first trip EVER to Boston, I considered it a pretty fair demand, yet I know it might have been a lil last minute. I was so pleased to speak with Thomas, the concierge, directly, b/c T.A. users had applauded his efforts in the past. As he was typing away at the computer I heard him murmur, “perfect.” From that alone I knew this is obviously a gentleman who relishes creating that exceptional experience! Before we got off the phone Thomas promised that our view AND OUR WHOLE STAY would be terrific.

I simply hoped not to stare at the side of a building; Thomas however, exceeded our expectations! Our girlfriend getaway became truly luxurious after leaving our car at the valet (directions from the website are right-on) and signing in at the desk where John, the concierge on duty, told us we were on the 19th floor (top!) and had two queen size beds (we had originally only reserved one). Upon entering the room we were absolutely giddy! The décor was perfect, which is why I love staying at boutique hotels, muted and posh, not one disgusting floral print in sight! My friend loved the edgy faux fur throws, as well as the IPOD dock which she hooked up to right away and started blasting dance music. We opened up a hand-written note from Thomas telling us to “Get ready for THE BEST stay! Seriously.” accompanied by a bottle of Pino Grigio chilling on ice and a fruit plate. Glass of wine in hand, good beats, the perfect view of the city lights and Boston Commons; as we ladies started to pretty ourselves up for a night on the town, my friend squealed “I love Boston!!”… we hadn’t even left the hotel yet!!

When we were ready we moseyed on downstairs and spoke to Johnny about some places to go. He sent us around the corner to Zen for sushi which was great, as well as reasonably priced! For $25 we split several rolls and were more than full. After that we went to the Beantown Pub next to our hotel and across from Sam Adams grave. So of course I ordered a Sam Adams! There was a great crowd there early and we watched some people play pool. From there we decided to hit up Mantra to listen to some music. We wanted to dance too, but seeing as no one else there was, we ended up leaving… too many girls with their arms crossed, sitting down, staring off, it reminded me of a middle school dance (ntm my drink was watery and gross). Regardless b/c Johnny had sent us there with the right information of who to ask for we didn’t wait in line and we didn’t pay cover (two things that can seriously inhibit the night if you want to wander around and try new places out).

After Mantra, we took a quick cab ride to Ned Devines, only to be told they had reached capacity. I had been there previously and never had a problem but maybe it was more popular that night. While I wanted to try some places within that same neighborhood my friend had enough of places that weren’t living up (how could you beat the hotel after all, even with a crowd and music?!) and said she just wanted to go back to Beantown, so we did. We hung the rest of the night there, and ended up running into some guys from NY staying at the Nine Zero! The party continued as we hung out in the luxe lobby and joked with Brian behind the desk who all took it in good stride ;) The next morning we went out to breakfast with our new friends.

Both my friend and I absolutely loved how convenient the Nine Zero is to EVERYTHING. After grabbing some breakfast at a bakery nearby we hit Borders so she could grab a copy of the Boston magazine she had seen in our room that she wanted as a souvenir. We didn’t have to check out our car until 2pm, so why not soak in the beautiful day? We walked around the Commons and went and saw the duck statues and sat by the pond. Later, when waiting for our car, I spoke some more with John about the recommendations he had made to us and he seemed pleased our night had turned out well and invited us to return soon.

My friend lives in the S. Jersey/Philadelphia area, yet is already talking about how taking weekends to Boston would be so manageable. Not to mention, she never will stay anywhere else in Boston but the Nine Zero! I live closer, on the Cape, yet, I have to say I agree! I cannot stop singing their praises to anyone who will listen. The service beyond excellence only makes me want to stay at more Kimpton hotels on any other vacations/weekends I take! Seriously.

Thank you so much to the whole Nine Zero staff for making our experience truly enviable;) Fantastic service deserves recognition and you are all BEYOND professional, knowledgeable and gracious.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shan_Kelly
Reviewed 2 November 2009

My wife and I stayed here 10/29 through 11/1 of 2009. Booked the room through a discount third party at a great rate. The room we were given had a nice view of the Granary Burial ground and Boston Common across the street. We were on the 10th floor and the street noise was noticeable at times but not a major problem. Even though we booked through a third party we were given a $10 coupon toward items from the in room refrigerator/pantry which was nice. With my Kimpton travel membership we also received free in room internet access, by both wired and wireless LAN. Wire was provided which was nice.

The location is excellent for exploring Boston on foot or by the "T" subway. The Park T station is about a half block away. The "T" can take you anywhere you might want to go including to and from the airport. Alternately, you can walk just about anywhere. Faneuil Hall is about a 10 min walk as is Chinatown. We also walked to the river which took less than 1/2 hour. No significant hills in the area either so if you have limited mobility waking the area is still doable. The cab ride from the airport was under $30 but by T it's only $2 and almost as fast. Had we known the T was an option we would have taken it from the airport to the hotel. Once we became familiar with the T we gladly took it from the hotel back to the airport.

We did not eat at the hotel restaurant so can't speak to those points. There are a number of dining options nearby ranging from the ubiquitous Dunkin Donuts and other fast food (1/2 block away) to pricey seafood/steakhouses. Several locally owned very reasonably priced restaurants can also be found for breakfast and lunch within a block of the hotel.

All the staff we came in contact with were very nice and helpful. The front desk was very helpful in providing directions, and maps. We did not rent a car so have no info on parking but I'm sure there's a charge for it. We recommend not renting a car as driving downtown is a nightmare (from prior experience).

The room was relatively small with one queen bed. The bed was very comfortable along with the pillows. TV was not a flat panel but good enough for our purposes. Nice selection of channels similar to most basic cable options along with free HBO. You can also pay for a variety of movies. The bathroom was adequate with a unique sliding door which was nice if you were trying to not wake your spouse, no clicking of a latch when opening and shutting. We did miss having a tub however. Other rooms may have them but ours did not. Very nice spacious shower though. In room safe large enough for laptops. Decor was not our taste but not a problem.

This hotel, and presumably Kimptons in general, must pride themselves on providing excellent customer service. They made a point of making sure we had everything we needed (or forgot to bring) at our disposal. From an ironing board to sleep wear (available for sale in the room closet). A list in the bathroom was provided of things they have available for guests. Some items free and others for a fee. The in room frig/pantry had a wide selection of treats from gummy bears and chips, to wine and liquor selections.

We considered other hotels but this location was excellent being at the center of everything. We will consider this hotel when visiting again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2009

Dear pharmdeity,
Thank you so much for such a detailed review of your recent stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel. We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I'm happy to see you found the location so convenient, and that your encounters with members of our staff were all positive. I hope you'll be back to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 27 October 2009

My friend and I stayed in the Nine Zero while visiting Boston and prior to a cruise. We selected the hotel because of its great location on the Freedom Trail and near Fanneul Hall, and that was really great. Even more so was the fantastic staff and great room. Everyone was helpful and extremely friendly. Tom, the concierge, helped us immensely and made us feel welcome. The wine event in the pre-dinner hour was very friendly and we met many people....they even set up a Weii game for us to play. Personal service in a great location and a wonderful room.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2009

Dear taffymia,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel. I can see that you had a great visit! I'm glad you enjoyed the wine reception and got to play some Wii in the lobby! I hope you'll be back to visit us again soon.