“Fantastic Hotel and Location”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 November 2009

One of the best hotels at which we have ever stayed. The room was a decent size for being in the middle of an old city, and the location was absolutely perfect. The hour of free wine in the lobby was a really nice touch, as well. And conveniently, the hotel also offers free wi-fi in every room. We'd stay at this hotel on every trip to Boston!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,771)

Reviewed 20 November 2009

Kimpton keeps going from success to success. Nine Zero is another comfortable, trendy, and well managed hotel, with an outstanding concierge. We were in Boston for out 20th anniversary, and Tom arranged champagne and strawberries to greet us, upgraded our room and made us feel like old friends.

I've stayed in Kimpton hotels around the country, and I've never been disappointed. It's a terrific company.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2009

Dear trychterus,
We appreciate the review and kind words about your stay with us at the Nine Zero. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 19 November 2009

I have stayed at Nine Zero more than ten times over the last four years and love everything about it. Friendly Staff, Great Service, Super Comfortable Bed, Well Furnished Rooms and Fantastic Location.

Couple of areas where they could improve: the room service menu hasn't changed in the last four years, come on guys you can do better than that. They need to get rid of the old televisions and put in LCD screens.

Even with these improvement areas, I would not want to stay anywhere else in Boston. Nine Zero is just perfect.

Reviewed 18 November 2009

Stayed for two nights on a business trip. Key for me when traveling for business is a good nights sleep. No noise. My room was on the fifth floor facing the main street - Tremont. I never heard ANY street noise. Not even the sound of a horn. And no noise from next door neighbors. Plus, extra comfortable bed with real duvet and fluffy pillows. Made the 6 am wake-up call after coming in from the west coast tolerable.

I enjoy the different styles of Kimpton properties and the Nine Zero delivered. The room's palette was beige, black and gray. A funky high headboard, oversized chair and peacock-like throw added to the flair of the room. I appreciate the design with real, working functionality. This room had a nice balance adding in a long desk with multiple sockets for all my plug-in's.

The bathroom had a table top sink and shelves for storage. Even though it was small (only a shower), the pocket-door left ample room. Great light.

Room service even delivered a made-to-order salad. Great Place.

Reviewed 17 November 2009

First: we LOVE the Kimpton Hotel Group. Not only are their boutique hotels funky, stylish, creative, and elegant - they are inclusive and eco-friendly. They have long been advocates for LGBT rights and causes, and have been on the forefront of 'greening' the hotel experience. Add to this impeccable design and an exceptional staff, and the decision of where to stay is an easy one.
In the last few years, I watched the discount emails and checked the Kimpton site regularly. I am often attending concerts in Boston and Cambridge for work, and these include drinks with the musicians that I work with. My partner would get worried about me driving home after a cocktail or two late at night up to our home 30 minutes north. I saw an amazing discounted rate at the Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge for one of the nights I knew I had to be in town really late. I went to the concert and my partner had dinner, went to the wine hour, and slept comfortably, knowing I was safe and would take a cab ride back to the hotel after the concert. This worked out so well, that we ended-up staying at the Marlowe several times that year, and when we went away to DC for a night, our only dilemma was WHICH Kimpton to stay in (Hotel George - met many famous people, but that's a different story). All of these stays culminated in one complimentary In Touch Reward Night. When discussing how we would celebrate my birthday, it occurred to me that we could use the Reward Night we had been saving. Even though it was less than a week away, we had no trouble at all reserving the room at the Nine Zero. The In Touch Reservation was easy and the woman on the phone was so pleasant and happy.
We were so excited to get away for the weekend and to enjoy this luxury hotel (for free!!) that we arrived around 10:30 in the morning. I knew our chances of having a room ready was slim, so we planned to go shopping and have lunch until the room was ready. While they were tagging our bags to hold, my partner remembered that he had left our list of specific shops at home. We stepped over to the concierge desk and sat down. That is when our life changed for the better. We asked Thomas, the concierge, if he would be kind enough to write down the addresses of a few specialty shops we were interested in finding. He knew a few right away off the top of his head, and went about searching for the addresses and writing them out. He was so friendly and genuinely interested in helping us. In conversation, I mentioned that it was my birthday that we were celebrating, along with my partner's birthday and our 10 year anniversary together, which had both occurred within the last few weeks. He gave his congratulations, handed us the list with his own directions, and we went on our way. About 30 minutes later, Thomas called me on my cell to tell me that he had upgraded our room to a magnificent view room, and that it would be available at 1pm. I thanked him and giddily blurted out the good news to my partner. After some shopping and lunch, we came back to the hotel. Thomas' shift was just ending, but he welcomed us back as he was leaving his post, and wished us a pleasant stay. If I had known all that he had arranged, I probably would have kissed him right there. You see, when we got to the desk to check-in and pick-up our bags, we were greeted with flutes of champagne and a congratulations. Nice! They knew we were eating at KO Prime, the wonderful restaurant in the hotel, so they gave us a coupon for 10% off. Really Nice!! Then they added 2 complimentary cocktails. Super Nice!!! The very friendly bellman took us to our room (The 16th floor!) as we sipped the champagne. As we walked into the room, we both fell silent. It was gorgeous! The view outside the room was stunning. The spire of Park Street Church lit-up, the lights of the city - breathtaking. The room itself was a great size, the bed huge and ultra-comfy, lots of seating and workspace, lighted wardrobe, huge bathroom with Aveda products, and a lot of style and detail in every nook. The best, and most heart-warming thing in the room, though, was a note from Thomas (see photo for detail), accompanied by a bowl of fresh fruit, 2 bottles of water, a bottle of red wine, and a chilled bottle of champagne! This was too much. We were overcome with excitement, and warmed hearts at all of the thoughtful touches that went above and beyond making us feel welcome and celebrated. To add to this wonderful night, we had an amazing meal at KO Prime (with free cocktails and 10% off the bill!), and a well-deserved and utterly blissful night's sleep. We checked-out the next morning and left our bags once again while we continued shopping and going to the MFA for the day. Upon our return to pick-up our bags and our car, all of our new friends were back on duty. There is no way I could adequately thank Thomas for what he had done to make our stay so magical. The front desk staff, our bellman friend, and even the valet all seemed to be in on it. They were all eager to hear how we had enjoyed the extras and the personal touch to our weekend. It would take us some time to be able to save the money to pay for such a weekend at this wonderful hotel again. But it would be completely worth every sacrifice to make it happen. Even though I know this experience could not be duplicated, I know that there is a comfortable room, a caring staff and a very special and dedicated concierge waiting to make me feel like a prince among men.

1  Thank TikiAlan
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2009

Dear TikiAlan,
We are so thrilled to hear about your wonderful stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel! It certainly sounds like you had a memorable experience, and I'm happy that our staff helped. I will pass on your compliments to Thomas as well! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 16 November 2009

The hotel is in a good location, but we got a very good price with Hotwire and the room wasn't very good. It was very little and we were given a room for physically handicapped. We ordered room service and the food terrible and expensive.
The room was pre-payed but the moment we got they they charged more than 200€ to my credit card, "just in case"

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
mholz1, Director Of Front Office at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2009

Dear Madrid,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to complete this tripadvisor review. It is through direct customer feedback like yours that we gain insight into guests’ experiences and identify some of our opportunities for improvement. I want to sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced regarding the issues you faced during your stay with us. I want you to know that I will forward your comments to the appropriate Department Managers for further discussion and future development. I understand that while in the Boston area, you do have a choice of hotels, and I want to ensure that it remains the Nine Zero Hotel. Again, I truly appreciate your feedback and I am very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. Please do not hesitate to contact the hoetl directly if we can be of further assistance regarding anything at all. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2009

The Nine Zero is a fantastic choice for a single traveler or a couple visiting Boston, either for business or pleasure. Like all Kimpton hotels I've stayed in, this one has a real sense of style, both in terms of the decor, but also when it comes to the overall ambiance. Who can complain about a wine tasting in the lobby at 5:00? Or the free wireless (for Kimpton InTouch members)? For me, hotels that charge for wireless are high on my list of places to avoid. The Nine Zero is in the theater district, so if that's where you are headed, you'll certainly want to consider this hotel. The T station (Park) is just half a block away, so the rest of the city is easily accessible. And at check in, they handed over a coupon for two free items from the mini bar. My only complaint? No coffee maker in the room. Duncan Donuts is a 30 second walk (where in Boston is the Double D not a 30 second walk?), but in the rain this morning, having to walk out for coffee was a little annoying.