“Service Fine, Food Average and Overpriced”

Smith & Wollensky - Boston Atlantic Wharf
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky - Boston Atlantic Wharf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #174 of 3,231 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$30 - US$48
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Atlantic Avenue
Description: Enjoy Waterfront Luxury at Our Second Boston Location. Join us at the newest Smith & Wollensky restaurant at 294 Congress Street. The location is part of Boston Properties’ prestigious Atlantic Wharf project located between the new Rose Kennedy Greenway and historic Boston Harbor. Offering a breathtaking waterfront view, the 10,000-square-foot space includes a full-service raw oyster bar. The outdoor patio, bar and lounge add to the restaurant's unique Harbor experience. The European-style exposition kitchen provides culinary entertainment while lush furnishings of wood and leather create a cozy and inviting interior retreat. The restaurant is open for both lunch and dinner.
Weston, Massachusetts
“Service Fine, Food Average and Overpriced”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We dined outside and the surroundings were very pleasant. On a nice evening I would highly recommend it. The service from the hostess, our waiter and other waiters and servers who tended to our table was excellent. They were very attentive. It appears a waiter is assigned to a table, but at any given time another waiter will step in to make sure items are brought to the table in a timely manner.

An example of the service how the waiter handled my beverage. I ordered a Guinness which they serve from the pub can. When I tasted it the beer was not really cold. At one point as I was almost finished our waiter asked if I would like another. I told him I would when my entrée came, but that the beer was not too cold. He said he would put one on ice now so it would be colder when it was served. Sure enough the second one was served cold, and when I received the bill I saw that there was no charge for the first one.

Unfortunately, the food was not up to the standard of the service. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but neither was it distinguished in any way. I had the veal chop and my wife had the filet Oscar, for a side we shared the wild mushrooms. We didn't have any complaints about either dish other than that they were just average in quality. My dish was priced at $47 and hers at $52. I have quite literally paid half that amount for equal or even better quality similar dishes.

And I don't understand why they think bigger vegetables are better. Most of our mushrooms were huge, and the table next to us had asparagus the size of telephone poles. Bigger is not better, bigger is tougher. Give me small and tender mushrooms and asparagus.

So we will not return simply because we can get equal (and sometimes better) quality food at significantly reduced prices.

• Visited June 2014

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Food was pricey but good”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We sat outside and it was a nice atmosphere. The burgers were good but I was told I could not substitute anything for the frenchfries so that was a bummer.

Visited July 2014
Perth
“Everything it should be”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

On a recent trip to Boston, my husband and I were staying around the corner at the InterContinental and felt like a great steak so, being familiar with the restaurant in NYC, walked to Smith & Wollensky.

Attentive service, perfectly cooked steak, great variety of beverages (my Moscow Mule was particularly strong though!).

8/10: definitely recommend.

Visited June 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor service and food.”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The service was very disappointing. Our server did not make us feel welcome. I tried to do a review on their website directly and after filling in their forms, it wouldn't even accept it. Our wine glasses were empty until we filled them from our bottle, had to ask for water 2 times, had to ask for anything as we were just not served. The person that delivered our food did not know who ordered what. The food was okay but not excellent. Maestro's are much better an the service was just bad.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Kelly B
Pittsburgh
“True Steakhouse Experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The legendary pea soup was excellent. My dinner companion's filet was very good. I asked if I could order a lobster tail without the filet and it was one of the best lobster tails I have ever had. The corn was also excellent. Ask for table with a view of the harbor. Service was outstanding.

Visited June 2014