Umai
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were looking for Japanese food on a rainy Monday evening and followed some Japanese women into Umai. Good move! Delicious food and reasonable prices. Ordered sushi special which included uni (sea urchin) and smoked eel. Grandson has simple tastes, and avocado roll was only 3.95 - he devoured it. Overall pleasant, attentive service, nice atmosphere - would certainly go back.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Had the tricolour don, three types sashimi on rice, excellent, the fish was fresh and the rice was extremely good, surprised. This must be the best kept secret of Newbury, hardly anyone there at 2:30 pm, very relaxing lunch, great food, reasonably priced. Definitely will return. Very courteous, friendly staff.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Overall, non-plussed by the food here. Once was more than enough for me.
Makis tended to unroll or fall apart. The nori was a bit tough. Tempura had some type of weird seasoning in it - it certainly wasn't a plain panko batter. Generally hit and miss quality. Was so hoping this place would be a "find". Sorry, not coming back.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

The food was literally inedible. The sushi was a disaster and I sent back both my rolls. Go to Oishii or Snappy Sushi. Stay away.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I went for dinner quite early on a Thursday night so had no trouble getting a table. I had the pork gyoza followed by the beef teriyaki. The gyoza was good but the beef was very fatty and was combined with a lot of onion which I'm not a fan of. Also, the teriyaki sauce didn't really taste like teriyaki I've had before. In addition, they bought the gyoza before I'd finished my miso soup, and bought the teriyaki before I'd even started the gyoza. I know this is not uncommon in some restaurants, but I'm not really a fan of it.

All in all, it was pretty average and I wouldn't go back.