“Like home”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 16 April 2013

You will be astounded by the friendly staff day in day out. From the front door to the front desk, they will consistently provide unmatched service. Rooms our large for a big city and the hotel is perfectly located 2 blocks from Fenway and 10 yards from the metro train. Starbucks is next door for those so addicted. Restaurant attached to the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Had a wonderful stay at Hotel Commonwealth. Check in was very pleasant, our room type wasn't ready so we received a courtesy upgrade, with a smile. Room was in immaculate shape, very large, comfortable beds. Large bathroom with separate room for toilet. Another great feature of this hotel is they have two amazing restaurants on site (island creek oyster bar and eastern standard). The concierge Nick was excellent and booked an in room couples massage for us with an hours notice. Really impressed with this hotel and glad I found it. Don't hesitate to book here.

Room Tip: Make sure you eat dinner at Island Creek Oyster Bar and have a late night drink at Eastern Standard.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed at the Commonwealth for the first leg of our honeymoon in the US, it was a really nice hotel. From arriving at the hotel where we were greeted by a lovely doorman to the reception staff, I couldn't fault it. The hotel very kindly gave us an upgrade for our 5 day stay which really made such a difference in addition to some very nice goodies. The Commonwealth is a little out of the city center area for shopping, eating out, etc but there are some nice places just across the road. The only thing we weren't gone on was The Hawthorne bar in the basement of the hotel, it was definitely on the pretentious side. We stayed for one drink and thought it was ridiculously up itself. The bar across the road is much better, I think it was called The Cornwall or something like that. We couldn't try The Eastern Standard restaurant as it was closed for renovations, we did try on the night it reopened - our last night in Boston - but we couldn't get a table so we left. We would probably stay somewhere closer to the centre if we visit Boston again but all in all it was a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here for the first time after recommendations from friends and family.
The service and friendliness of the entire staff is unmatched!! As we were leaving for the airport, a Sox game was letting out so cabs are nearly impossible to get. One of the concierge gentlemen said, he'd see what he could do to get us a cab. After running(yes, RUNNING!!) across the street in a suit to get a cab, he came back to the hotel in the cab to bring to us so no one else could hire it!!
Where else would you find that kind of service?? I only wish I caught his name, sorry!! Other staff just as eager to meet any requests/needs we had. Great hotel choice!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Overall the location of this hotel is great if you are attending a game at Fenway Park. However you will pay for that great location.
The service is outstanding. The entire staff was friendly and very helpful. They were more than happy to answer any questions we had about Boston.

Room Tip: You can choose from either a view of Fenway Park or Commonwealth Ave. The view of Fenway is not tha...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lpedro50
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Only place in Boston I will ever stay. I had not been back to the hotel for over 6 months and the second I arrived the familiar faces working the door and the desk immediately recognized me and greeted me by my name. Beyond any experience I have had. So impressed with their attention to detail and ability to always go out of their way to ensure guest satisfaction. I do some work with the Boston Red Sox and this is the hotel I stay at since it is so close to Fenway Park--but I can assure you I would stay at Hotel Commonwealth if they moved 5 miles away!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth on business earlier this month. While the facilities are clean and the location is great the amenities are terrible. It was simply not possible for me to connect to the internet in a reliable way. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Tech Support (which isn't even dedicated to servicing the hotel) and the final conclusion was that there was not enough bandwidth to service all the guests trying to access the internet. I tested the connection speed online at the time - less than 1 mbps download and upload speeds. That is simply unacceptable - especially when I needed to access my network to do some work. To give you a perspective on how slow that is - gmail wouldn't even open after waiting 10 minutes.

In addition I was charged $42 for valet parking for 1 night - and wasn't notified that there was going to be a charge at the time. I certainly didn't expect that amount. I had even driven my car to their parking lot on my way there and the parking attendants directed me to use valet parking - without mentioning the additional charge. Talk about feeling scammed. The parking lot isn't even half a block from the entrance. Pathetic.

The customer service was also spotty. When I was checking out I wasn't even asked the standard "How was your stay?" I was prepared to complain about their nonexistent internet access but apparently the woman working the counter wasn't interested in hearing any reviews. Now I can see why.

I would not stay there again. The exorbitant charge for unneeded valet parking just put me over the edge. In fact - I only created this TripAdvisor account to post this review.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TheEconomist87
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear TheEconomist87,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Hotel Commonwealth. I am truly sorry to hear that the internet in your room was not functioning properly. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I would like to discuss your stay further.

All the best,