“Nice hotel -- but if a hotel offers room service breakfast for business travelers, they have to actually show up.”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2013 while speaking at a conference at BU. They gave me a free upgrade to a junior suite, which was extremely spacious, and (on the top floor) relatively quiet even though it had terrific views of Commonwealth Ave. (The traffic noise was much less than one would expect.) The decor was perhaps a little old-fashioned but very comfortable, and included a nice wooden desk (along with some books of local Boston interest, which were chosen well). The temperature in the room was a little hard to adjust and my shower had a slow drain, but the latter problem was addressed promptly when I called the front desk about it.

My only substantive complaint about this hotel is this: if you offer room service, you have to actually deliver it. On the morning of my presentation at BU, I knew time would be tight so I signed up for the (typically overpriced, but worth it, I thought) room service breakfast. It said put out your card by 2am; mine was out by midnight. But in the morning, no breakfast appeared and it turned out that nobody had bothered to pick up my card! I called the kitchen and they were apologetic, but by that point it was too late to do anything about it, so I just had to skip breakfast. Note to hotel: you don't have to offer room service breakfast, but if you do offer it, you need to follow through.

Room Tip: My 5th floor room (the top floor) was pretty quiet; I'd try to get a high floor to avoid street...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear J R,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our room product and decor. I am sorry about the opportunity you experienced with your room service order. I understand how this negatively affected your stay. Concerns with this incident have been discussed with our in room dining team. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Smcweeny@hotelcommonwealth.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,050)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Florida, Usa
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a great location for access to various parts of the city because of proximity to public transportation. We were there to visit a BU student and go to a BC football game.

The rooms were clean and very comfortable...the staff very attentive to our every need.

We booked through Orbitz and had a decent rate for a November weekend.

We would definitely stay there again,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Bonnie J B,

Kenmore Square is a perfect location for what you were in town for. We hope you will join us again soon.

So. CA
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I just returned from 2 nights at this charming hotel. From the valet, to the doormen, the front desk and the housekeeping staff-everyone was SO nice!! What a wonderful find. We travel all over the world and this staff would be hard to beat. Our room was well furnished, nicely lit, comfy bed and to be upstairs from the AMAZING Island Creek Oyster restaurant, life just does not get any better. Not to mention the awesome bar off the main entrance, "The Hawthorne". That's another review, but don't miss it. Extraordinary.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear nkelliher,

Our staff prides themselves on the level of service that they provide. I am thrilled that you were able to witness this first hand. We are very fortunate to have three wonderful food and beverage outlets located right here on property. I hope you and your husband will join us again soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Great Experience. One of the best Hotels I ever stayed. Good Room Size, Bed. Great Service, free WIFI to unlimited devices...
Subway Station on site, very easy to go to all places in Boston. I definetly recommend this Hotel.
It was an unique experience.

Room Tip: All Rooms are great
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Lamesquita,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about so many different aspects of your stay. I am trilled that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again soon.

COLUMBUS OHIO
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Look - a hotel has to be more than just a lockable room to snooze in when sleepy, but let's get that over with first as it's the only wholly positive aspect of this review.
The room was spacious, relatively quiet, comfortable and clean.
The bed was oversized and welcoming and i got a good night's sleep.
WiFI was included in room rate and easy to log into from multiple devices which was a welcome change, and the hotel staff really did make their best efforts to be helpful. But not always effectively.

Having the door shut in my face by the doorman wasn't especially welcoming, nor did he seem to comprehend he had done it. Valet car parking was nice, but once you're 'inside the lockup' getting out again wasn't easy.

And you HAVE to get out - there's no little hotel shop for convenience like most hotels have, - one has to go brave the inner-city street up to a nearby CVS to get anything INCLUDING something as basic as a bottle of water (none in room/none at desk) - and ditto for the restaurants - both required exit onto the street and navigating thru a sea of panhandlers.

I've been to 3rd world countries where the level of begging was less than outside this hotel.
If the management actually cared about their guests - they could have such folks moved along.
Since the 'gimme-gimme' crowd were so thick on the scene the 3-4 times i went outside, one has to wonder.

There WERE stores in the vicinity - and navigable without fear of footpads and cutpurses....but they were high end jewelry and similar types. Even the taxicab driver warned us not to hang about on the sidewalk outside the hotel, as it 'wasn't nice after dark'.

Hmmm.

Now, you might say that the above criticisms could be leveled at any hotel with an innercity locale, but I've stayed at Boston Omni Parker House, and Boston Park Plaza recently and never once felt like i was in the 'live with amenities in the hotel or risk your well being on the street' that i did here.

I'm sure there are people who will love this place because it has the appearance of luxury.
The fac is that if some-one took a Red Roof Inn and dropped it next to Fenway Park, the resultant hotel would be the same, - and likely the rates would be lower.

As always - just my honest opinion....next time I'm going back to Park Plaza.
Some-body told me there are good rates available for this property on Hotwire.
Honestly - if you want to try this place for yourself - check it out that way first.
Travel Well!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank butlinz
Florida
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I really enjoy this hotel when needing to be at BU. I really do not want to say anything bad we are really lucky to have this hotel on campus.It is nice,clean the valet is always too friendly and they are really beyond helpful. I just need to say....please buy new beds and roll away beds.It is time!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear barcelonabrat,

Thank you for staying with us again and sharing your feedback. I apologize about your discomfort with the mattresses and the roll away beds. We are currently looking into options for a renovation of our rooms. I would love to discuss this opportunity further with you. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Very pleasant and well appointed hotel in central Boston near the Kenmore subway stop.

Really friendly and helpful front desk staff who helped with the small and large issues

The room was very high standard: good audio equipment, very comfortable bed, great roomy bathroom.

Quiet even though the World Series was on at the Fenway Park stadium just near the hotel.

Room Tip: Junior suite was worth the extra with inroom coffee machine, excellent TV stereo and DVD player
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane P
Dear Jane P,

Thank you for your compliments about our staff and hotel property, we greatly appreciate it. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Boston.