“Great location, substandard room.”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Nice location close to Boston University and Fenway Park. VERY expensive even at a discounted rate. Rooms are clean and comfortable, but, for the money a very poor deal.
Service satisfactory. Close to great restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Jim M

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Upon check in at the Hotel Commonwealth, I realized I booked the wrong dates. It was a full house and we had already valet parked the car and brought in a lot of luggage/instruments etc. The manager at the Commonwealth found us a room at The Eliot - their sister property and stored most of our luggage for us until the next day. I thought I left my computer bag at the Eliot and both hotels were incredibly helpful finding it. I needed a space to host a last second music video and the Commonwealth allowed us to use the Gallery (a beautiful space in their hotel). The rooms were spacious and close to everything. By the time we left we were on first name basis with everyone that worked at the hotel. They offered us bottled water and brought additional pillows and were absolutely awesome. The hotel has card coded elevators for safety and an amazing restaurant. Room service was available late and we felt VERY taken care of in this hotel. We will be staying here a lot.

Room Tip: They were all amazing. no noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The Commonwealth Hotel offers a great quality product at a fair price in one of America's most expensive hotel cities. Despite not being on the main drag, I enjoyed the short walk there as a way of getting some exercise and also found the metro outside the front door a real bonus! Its of course Red Sox headquarters smack bang next to Fenway Park which I imagine might change the prices in Baseball season, but after the season, I thought it was great value for money- top facilities. Two things that could be improved. The aircon/ heating didn't regulate properly on auto-function and I woke up every 2 hours during the night due to overheating, needing to wake up the sensor to let it know someone was in the room and to switch back on! The Eastern Standard Restaurant was a disappointment. Didn't have a single good meal there ( ate there 3 times over 4 days- once for dinner, once for lunch and last day for breakfast) Service was so-so.

1  Thank itchyfeetdownunder
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have stayed here numerous times for business trips. Somehow run by Boston University.
Very polished, clean, upscale property. The staff is earnestly friendly and helpful. The rooms are very well appointed, a real treat from when the doorman, desk, cleaning staff greet you, and then you enter your upscale room (reminds me a pre-war NYC townhouse). During baseball season, the Fenway-View rooms are cool...the Comm-Ave side rooms are fancier otherwise. Location if perfect for walking access to BU, Longwood, Harvard (if you are a city walker).

I really like room service breakfast from the Standard restaurant as well as business lunches there. My only disappointment is when they are booked and I cannot get a room.

I would hint that its an amazing value, but I really hope they don't raise the rates.

Room Tip: . During baseball season, the Fenway-View rooms are cool...the Comm-Ave side rooms are fancier other...
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was our first stay at the Hotel Commonwealth, but won't be the last as we travel to Boston once a year. We typically have stayed in the Copley Square area, but decided to stay around Kenmore Square this time. The hotel is in a great location (literally steps from the Kenmore T station) near Fenway Park, Boston University, restaurants, etc. The hotel itself was wonderful. The accommodations were great, as were the restaurants/lounges, etc. What really made the hotel memorable though was the staff. What a helpful, friendly and efficient group of people. The best we've seen!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Can't say enough positive things about this place and ALL staff we interacted with here-- from the valet to housekeeping, right down to all three adjoining restaurant/lounges.... What a phenomenal weekend! Polished, professional, without the pretentious zeal I had feared.

I had booked a standard king, Fenway room through Jetsetter for my boyfriend's birthday weekend, and when we arrived we found out we'd been mysteriously upgraded to a private suite, jacuzzi and all. As it turns out the "upgraded" room was not on the Fenway side of the hotel, but that quickly became the least of our worries when we saw where we'd be spending our weekend.

Highly, HIGHLY recommend this hotel if you are planning to be in the area!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This hotel is fantastic! Each and every staff was exceptional and made us feel more than welcomed. The room was lovely and spacious. It was so convenient to BU, and downtown. We were able to travel by T all weekend. This is definitely my new go-to hotel while in Boston!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Comm Ave have a nice view - the suites are extremely large.
1  Thank Lori Bernstein C