“Repeat customer”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth last year, and we liked it so much, we decided to stay here again this year on a weekend trip. I can't think of a better place to stay in Boston! We booked the bed & breakfast package which allowed us a meal at Eastern Standard.

We followed the same routine as last year and arrived into Boston on a red eye flight on Saturday morning. Took the airport bus to the subway, blue line to the green line, and in an hour (or so) arrived at the Kenmore stop. The Hotel Commonwealth is literally steps away from the exit which is nice and convenient.

This time around we showed up much earlier, around 8AM, fully expecting not being able to check in, but hoping we could. Unfortunately our room was not ready. The front desk clerk apologized and informed us that check in was at 3PM. We checked our bags with the bellman, and then went to use the restroom by the front desk. The bathroom was locked, so I had to go to the front desk to ask them to open it for me. I thought it was probably because it was still early in the morning and I was the first to use it. A bit irritating, but not a huge deal.

Since we had arrived on Saturday, November 2nd, we learned the Boston Red Sox parade to celebrate their World Series victory was going to begin at 10AM. What a perfect way to kill a few hours! Fenway Park is right behind the hotel across the freeway, so we followed the herd of people. We ended up in a great spot that wasn't too crowded about a mile from Fenway Park, and we got to see the whole parade from the front row. Pretty cool way to start the day.

Walked back to the hotel, arrived close to 11:00AM, and decided to see if the room was ready yet as we were going to the Boston College football game at 12PM. Asked the front desk if the room was ready, and unfortunately the answer was no. The clerk said he could call me when the room was ready, great idea! Went to use the bathroom, and it was locked. I guess it stays locked the whole time, not too happy about this, went and got the front desk clerk who opened it up for me. This was a new one for me, usually the bathroom in a hotel lobby is not under lock and key.

We left the hotel and took the green line out to Boston College. Halfway there I received a call from the hotel informing me that the room was ready! Too bad about the timing, but I appreciated the follow up.

After the game we took the green line back to the hotel and checked in. We stayed in a Kenmore room (last year we were in the much larger Commonwealth room), but we liked the Kenmore room. We had a peek-a-boo view of Kenmore Square with apartments right outside the window, but it was fine. The room is well appointed, plenty of outlets for our electronic gadgets, bathroom is a good size, very comfortable beds with nice linens.

Our biggest complaint which was the same as last year is that the water pressure is extremely high. I think more adjustable showerheads would help mitigate the issue. We told the front desk clerk at checkout, and based on his reaction/feedback, we were the first ones ever to mention this.

Apart from this interaction, most of the staff at Hotel Commonwealth are friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The hotel maintains historical charm while feeling fresh and current.

We checked out on Sunday and left our bags with the bellman again as we had more exploring to do. The bellmen are all very friendly and helpful. We returned later in the afternoon and decided to take a cab to the airport as the green line gets pretty busy on Sundays. Cost was $25 for a ride to the airport.

All in all another great trip to Boston and great stay at the Hotel Commonwealth. My wife and I look forward to doing it again next year!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Superb across the board...location, service, amenities...all were outstanding! Hard to top this class act. Close to everything...Fenway Park, Copley Square, Back Bay, great restaurants...one of the nicest parts of Boston! Room was spacious and well appointed. Both restaurants accessible from the hotel were superb. Looking forward to another visit.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We knew we liked the Island Creek Oyster Bar (the best) and the Eastern Standard (great for brunch) so when it was time for an anniversary overnight the choice seemed obvious and we weren't disappointed.

The room, bed and bath were great and the separate sitting room was great for an early riser.

Location was great for shopping and the MFA.

Nicholas was most accommodating with some anniversary special details - he even found a really fresh whole pineapple!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location, walking distance to just about everywhere you want to go, close to public transportation as well. Rooms are a nice size, well-lit, service is very good. Check-in and check-out were very efficient, and staff was very pleasant. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was priced as expected for an on-site restaurant. Plenty of fast-food available in the area.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Extremely competent, friendly, observant and savvy staff, who really do anticipate your next question, and answer it !!!!
On top of their game !!!!!
I felt welcomed from the very first minute of my visit.
You will be very pleased with your stay at this top-notch facility.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger, very sunny, and very quiet.
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I was in Boston to propose to my girlfriend and needed a nice place to stay for the night after I surprised her. The hotel staff was extremely nice and friendly and even upgraded us to one of their suites after hearing my plans. I thought this was generous, especially considering I was using a discounted rate. The room was fantastic! The bathroom was pretty incredible too, with whirlpool, water closet, large separate shower, and his/hers sinks, it was an overall enjoyable experience.

1  Thank Cameron B
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We've stayed in many hotels in Boston but can't say enough about the Hotel Commonwealth. The staff and their focus on customer service is outstanding. The rooms are immaculate, the location is tremendous (loved seeing the Red Sox World Series banner from our room!!!!) and the restaurants are among the best in town. The front desk staff is so helpful and the quiet excellence of the property is the best!

1  Thank Cynthia G