“Superb Location, Great Staff, Minor Quirks--A Very Good Hotel”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I travel a good deal but this was my first experience of the Hotel Commonwealth. The location in my mind is superb: adjacent to but not fully in the central downtown, near Fenway, MIT and Boston University, with a wealth of lovely walks and great restaurants nearby. The rooms are generously sized and very tastefully decorated; the bathroom and bed quality are top rate. The staff are professional, friendly, and always quick to respond. The connected "Eastern Standard" restaurant is a tad pricey, but has a very good menu and service. The hotel's only drawbacks are minor, but worth noting: the parking service (at $46) is definitely pricey. The fitness center is tight -- but still, I would add, outfitted with a nice selection of weights and machines. Overall, then, a very good Boston Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a Red Sox fan and want to look out on Fenway Park, ask for a room on the south side of th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Commonwealth

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Excellent, friendly staff. Great location. I was upgraded to a mini-suite, and for around $200 in total including website discount, this was an excellent deal. The wifi was smoking fast, important for a business traveller. The shower, by comparison, was very low-bandwidth -- I appreciate the need to conserve water but a bit more pressure would have been welcome. The Hawthorne Bar downstairs is a great hidden gem. Overall, I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Large room, very comfortable, love the beds.
Staff was very accommodating
Outstanding restaurants
Location was perfect for public transportation.
I wish there was other parking closer. Valet parking at $46 was the only option.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mmnoyes
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Not able to obtain reservations at our fav Boston hotel (The Four Seasons) for the 2 nights we would be in the city, my husband & I decided to try the highly rated (by TripAdvisor) Hotel Commonweath. High points: the staff at the Commonwealth are very friendly & helpful, and the room (a mini-suite) was attractive and comfortable. Low points: TV noise from a nearby room late at night kept my hubby awake, there was only one bathrobe in the closet, the TV channel guide in the 'hotel services; book did not match with the actual channels, and they're doing away with the in-room mini-bar, though their website & service guide says they still have it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarlaGarnet
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We have stayed at Hotel Commonwealth several times and find the location, accommodations and staff to be fabulous. Only downside is the rollaway beds are very uncomfortable. The gym is adequate, but would be better to have a restroom attached.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2014

If we had more time to enjoy our spacious and well appointed room, I suspect we would have enjoyed Hotel Commonwealth even more. But, we left to see friends shortly after we arrived in the late afternoon and took off shortly after waking the following day. Fortunately, the bed was comfortable - though my wife thought it was a bit too firm (there's no place like home).

All of the staff were pleasant and ready to help, and the view from our fifth floor room looking over Kenmore Square was wonderfully evocative for me - having first come to Boston nearly 50 years ago to move into Myles Standish Hall, a dorm at Boston University, which was visible from our room.

The call from one of the staff shortly after we arrived to see if we needed anything (like a recommendation for where to eat) was a nice touch, and he was able to refer me to a nearby business to pick up a small gift. Speaking of eating, we have enjoyed eating at the Island Creek Oyster Bar twice before - which is how we learned of the hotel.

The most difficult aspect to negotiate at the hotel is arriving in Kenmore Square. I would recommend the valet parking unless you know the area and the parking meter system very well. That being said, we were able to pull up to the front door and the attendant assisted my wife while I drove off in search of a parking space before we left for a visit to our friends. The quality and service as well as the great location -easy access to the subway and bus system, a short walk to the Charles River, shopping, BU, and of course Fenway Park - make the Hotel Commonwealth a great choice for visitors to Boston

Room Tip: Our fifth flor room had a great view of Kenmore Square and was very comfortable with regard to tempe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The location was perfect for our trip to Boston. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Very clean room. The valet service is worth every penny. I wish I had found this place sooner. Will be going back the next time I am in the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family