“Great hotel, book immediately!”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great hotel, book immediately!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect for getting around Boston. Even though it is directly on Commonwealth Ave the room was completely quiet, something we loved. We walked to Boston Commons, walked to a Freedom Trail Tour, and also used the subway (station directly outside hotel). We attended a Red Sox game, also walking to Fenway. There was an issue in our room on our last night, and we were personally taken care of by the hotel manager Steven. All staff that we came in contact with were extremely professional and eager to attend to any of our needs. We would book again without any qualms.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking Commonwealth Avenue, excellent room, highly recommend.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Ibaileyart,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for providing valuable feedback, I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that Steven and the team were able to be so helpful.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,047)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Dimas, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Like many others, we selected the Hotel Commonwealth based on TripAdvisor reviews and its location to Fenway Park. I brought my husband to Boston for a special Red Sox Destination tour so the Commonwealth was the perfect choice. We absolutely loved it! I actually added 2 additional nights from the 2 I booked through the tour. Since I was concerned there might be confusion with separate reservations, I emailed the hotel directly and received a quick response from Corinne. She handled everything for us and made extra special efforts to ensure our stay was perfect in every way. Corinne and every staff member we came in contact with made us feel warmly welcome and that they wanted our time at the Commonwealth to be a memorable one. Everyone is friendly, professional, helpful and best of all truly seem to love their jobs. I can't say enough about Corinne and the staff. Thank you!
We were in a Fenway Room with an amazing view of the park. Anyone who is a Sox fan will treasure the view. The room was smaller then other room types but it was fine for us. The location to Fenway is fantastic. It is an easy walk to the park and we were there many times for the tour, game, memorabilia shopping and enjoying the fun atmosphere at the Bleacher Bar. This actually has a window that looks into the park from center field. Not your typical sports bar.
We spent a couple days taking in the sights of Boston. The Kenmore T stop is right next to the hotel and we were able to very easily navigate all our tourist adventures. We spent a fun day walking the Freedom Trail and eating in the North End. The next day we walked Newbury Street to the Public Garden and the Common. Then we actually walked down to the waterfront and back to the North End for pastries. Took the T back and were quickly right up the steps to our door at the Commonwealth.
Boston is a fantastic city and the Hotel Commonwealth is anything but common. It's a gem!

Room Tip: If you are a Red Sox fan, or even just a sports fan, ask for a view of Fenway on the top floor.
Mommyhern,

Thank you so much for providing feedback from your recent stay. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that Corinne was able to be so helpful. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I loved the location of this hotel (how great is it to have a Barnes and Noble bookstore right across the street?), with lots of restaurants within walking distance and a view of Fenway Park. And the room (I had a "junior suite") was spacious, clean, and very comfortable. The bed was wonderful. Now to the spotty part. I had luggage that needed to be brought to my room, and I had to call down to the desk to get them to bring it up. I truly expected it to follow me to my room within minutes, but when 10-15 minutes had passed, I figured I'd better call and remind them. Then, on my way out to go to the bookstore, I asked for a coffee maker to be taken to my room. It never showed up. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to call for it since I could get coffee first thing in the morning. I will say that my car came out of valet parking in the 10 minutes that they promised. And directions on how to set the alarm (which was a tablet) would have been helpful. The staff was all very friendly, but I got the sense that there just weren't enough people to take care of all the little details (like getting luggage to the room quickly).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KLGri
KLGri ,

Thank you so much for providing valuable feedback from your recent stay. I'm pleased to hear overall that you enjoyed your stay but disappointed that we missed some basic elements of service. Clearly we should have been able to get your bags delivered in a timely fashion as well as insuring your use of a complimentary coffee maker. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and the team here takes pride in ensuring that our guests have a flawless stay. We will focus on these things in the future. We hope to be able to welcome you back the next time you are in Boston.
Thank you!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth primarily because it is rated as the #1 Hotel in Boston on TripAdvisor. The Hotel exceeded our expectations in every way! Because of a airline schedule change, we arrived without bags. Nick at the front desk, promptly put together toiletries to get us through the 1st night. Our bags were quickly delivered the next morning. Every staff member we met through our stay greeted us and were helpful. The staff explained how to get to the Freedom Trail and answered any question about the city. The restaurants were excellent and service was great even with the crush of Red Sox games in the area. We've been fortunate to travel a little and would rate this hotel as our #1 overall hotel. If we ever get to come to Boston again you can bet we will only stay at the Hotel Commonwealth!

Brian S,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay, I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to be part of any future "Red Sox" visits to Boston.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed in the Hotel Commonwealth for 3 nights as part of our special trip round NE America and this was by far the best hotel we stayed in anywhere.
We arrived around midday after a train trip from New York, the reception staff were bright, friendly and welcoming. I had asked if we could leave our cases as we were arriving early, it was so nice when they said your room is ready. Just the start of a very welcoming and friendly stay. We had booked a Junior Suite with King bed and were not disappointed when we got to the room, very very nice, clean and very good size. We were very comfortable staying here, it is in an excellent position of Back Bay, easy access to buses and the metro which is right next door, but you wouldn't know it. Staff were all friendly and helpful, nothing to much trouble.
I was impressed with the business area, with a separate computer for Mac users and all internet free. Thanks to the reception staff for help with our airline bookings.
The area is very nice with good restaurants as well as the Hotels own.The hotels Oyster Bar is always popular. Small shops are close by and places of interest within walking distance.
We would especially like to thank Guest Services for their very kind gesture on our last evening and the words conveyed, it was a pleasant surprise and unexpected. Thank you.
Our stay ended all to quickly, but if were are ever back in Boston this is where we would stay and are glad to recommend this Hotel. It is obvious why it has the number 1 Trip advisor rating for Boston Hotels. Our thanks to the staff for making this a memorable part of our trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Condor 4151,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and that the team was so accommodating. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Commonwealth and have nothing but amazing things to say about this establishment. We chose this hotel on a whim due to it's close proximity to Fenway (cheering on the red sox of course on May 30th when they played the rays in a bench clearing 10 inning win) and it was amazing. Not only is the staff curteous but they pay attention to detail. They overheard my boyfriend saying it was my birthday and we came back to a bottle of wine from the hotel in our room to celebrate what ended up being our engagement night as well. Although the prices are up there it is worth the stay. Great location right by the famous Citgo sign, subway steps away from entrance of the hotel and clean and comfortabe rooms and overall great staff. Will stay again if ever in Boston

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Casey K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and for making us part of your Birthday & Engagement celebrations ! I'm pleased that the team here made such a positive impression on your stay, we hope to welcome you back for future celebrations (Weddings....Anniversaries!) soon.
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have to say I loved every minute of my stay at the Hotel Commonwealth... from being greeted by the doorman who assured me the weather would improve for the Red Sox game that night, to Nick at the front desk who greeted me by name when I walked up to sign in and then asked if we would like some bottled water, to the beautifully decorated clean and spacious room with wonderful linens and toiletries and a great view of the city - oh I could go on and on but suffice to say that every single employee of the hotel we encountered was polite, friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is a real gem. We met friends in the city for this weekend and they also stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth because we were there. We both remarked that we had read some of the mixed reviews of this hotel and were totally puzzled by them as our friends experience was the same as ours! We had a junior suite (521) on Friday the 13th - ha! and it was the best luck ever. Love you Hotel Commonwealth and can't wait to return.
PS if you want to eat at Island Creek Oyster book ahead. We did a week before and got one of the last reservations.

Room Tip: We had the Junior Suite - 521 - faced Commonwealth and was super quiet at night.
MBHfromNH,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent (Friday the 13th!) stay with us. I so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that Nick and the team were able to be helpful along the way. We hope to welcome you back soon.