“Very disappointed with this hotel”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Merrimack, New Hampshire
“Very disappointed with this hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed at many equally rated hotels, but were very disappointed with the Hotel Commonwealth. The ammenities were very lacking. If you were planning on going to the Red Sox game or taking the T to another location, chances are you didn't need a full ironing board. But we were attending a wedding and had traveled quite a distance so we would have liked more than just a small table top ironing board. No coffee maker - and no way to get coffee other than through room service. We did go down to the attached restaurant and waited 10 minutes without being acknowledged. Fortunately, there is a Dunkin Donuts next door. I missed having just a clock. Not the touch-pad provided that requires pushing the button to see the time. I didn't need a touch-pad. I needed a clock. The shower was pathetic, and apparently the options were "showers that stung" or "showering in the rain." We had the latter. If they were trying to save water, it took twice as long then it would have with good water pressure. And, after calling half an hour in advance as requested for our car, we still waited an additional hour. They couldn't find it. Otherwise, the front desk people were accommodating (after they charged me twice for valet parking for one night - and did I mention they couldn't find the car?) and the bed was very comfortable. Had we paid half the price, this was not a great experience for us. I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: As for a room with water pressure.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wendy M
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Wendy M,

Thank you staying with us and for providing feedback. I am very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay and would welcome the chance to discuss it with you further. I an be reached directly at asperling@hotelcommonwealth.com.
Again, I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Hope, PA
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I upgraded to the suite which was a beautiful clean modern room with sliding doors between the kind bed and the sitting area which housed the sleeper sofa. Large modern clean bathroom with a door for the toilet room - nice if you have four people sharing the room. Upgrade included no charge for the mini bar, damn I wish I drank to make it worth my while but we did indulge in the sweets. Staff was friendly and helpful. Two members of our party attended a game at Fenway so the location was good for that. Also right next to the Fenmore T stop on the green line. We will likely go back and stay closer to the North End as that is more to our liking geographically - though I doubt we will find such a nice place in that area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
brice2,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to provide your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel, our newly renovated rooms and our great location next to Fenway Park !
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Hotel Commonwealth is in a great location right next to Fenway Park and literally next door to a T station stop. The hotel staff is always ready to help with information on where to go and things to do and even the doorman can give you the right directions! Accommodations were superb and I have absolutely no complaints. The hotel hosts an annual event for an organisation I belong to and we never have any trouble and always enjoy our stay! Guess that's why we keep coming back!

Room Tip: If you enjoy baseball they have specific rooms with views of Fenway park which is right across the s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brandi R
Brandi R,

Thank you so much for your continued support and for taking the time to share your experiences. I am so pleased that you have enjoyed our hotel and we hope to continue to be able to welcome you back often !
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Upon arriving at the hotel, you are greeted with a smile and friendly valet service. The front desk checked us in promptly, and even tho I went to the wrong elevator he tried to catch me and called me by name, and it turned out to be a good laugh. The rooms are beautiful, clean, and beds are super comfortable. We had a great view of Fenway Park, which was the reason for our visit. When I made the reservation, I asked that a cot be put in the room, as there were 3 of us. When I got there there was a cot in the room. That rarely happens! It was a bit pricey, not somewhere you would stay every time you visit unless you can afford $600/night. But, it was well worth the splurge!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
laury49,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and that our staff was helpful. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future !
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel has some of the best service I have experienced and we have been lucky enough to stay in a lot of nice hotels. They upgraded our suite and put two stuffed bears in the crib for our one and eight year old sons. Fantastic.

Room Tip: The suites are lovely
tom b,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experiences. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope we get the chance to welcome you back often
Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Sean at front desk was excellent and I loved the décor. The area around the reception/elevators was spotless.

But I'm surprised that this hotel has received such high ratings. Our room had some cleaning issues...in the shower, the water didn't drain well b/c there was a lot of hair in the drain - eek! The air vent on the wall (which I don't usually notice) was so dusty that I actually took a facecloth and cleaned it and it was FILTHY! And, the bed sheets had a few black-ish stains near where it would rest on our faces. So, someone brought a new set of sheets but didn't seem all that eager to want to change the sheets for us so I said that we'd change them.

When we arrived, we had to lug our luggage up a staircase - the doorman, whose service we politely declined, wasn't doing anything, could have advised us that there was an elevator around the corner which we stumbled upon later.

I overheard a guest complaining at the front desk that there were no kettles in the room.

We're pretty fit and enjoy walking but we found the walk to Boston Common to be a bit too long - we wished we'd stayed closer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
BB C,

Thank you for staying with and for providing your feedback.

I am pleased Sean was helpful and you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms but am extremely apologetic that housekeeping let you down. We take pride in our cleanliness here and will clearly use this as a tool to insure it does not occur in the future.
I appreciate your feedback.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

From making the booking to the final day of our stay. Staff are a definite asset to this hotel. The service was exceptional. Room was spacious, clean and with a view of Fenway Park. What can we say. Perfect. Our overall stay was memorable. Thank you to all the staff especially Nicholas for all your help. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Book the view of Fenway Park.
Laura I,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and especially pleased that Nicholas and the team were able to be helpful. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon.