“Great hotel deal”

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“Great hotel deal”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel staff upgraded room upon arrival without request. Great location close to T. Quiet hotel for a busy area. Lots of choices of restaurants within walking distance. Slim choices on parking but some street parking is available.

• Stayed August 2014
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Brigid C,

Thank you staying with us and for taking the time to provide feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and that our staff made a positive impression.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,050)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I waited over a week to write this review hoping that someone from Hotel Commonwealth management might reach out to me to apologize for the multiple failings in service from the hotel. I conveyed my disappoint on 2 occasions: (a) at checkout; and (b) while in my car on the way to the airport. Absent any explanation for the poor service, I can only assume that the Hotel Commonwealth does not value my patronage and the level of service I received is part of the Hotel Commonwealth experience. That being said I would like to share with Trip Advisor readers the pros and cons of staying at the Hotel Commonwealth.

Pros: (a) The Baseball Suite was fantastic! Spacious and everything a 15 year old baseball fan would love. My nephew stayed up all night watching many of the movies from the expansive library of baseball videos. (b) The Oyster Bar located next to the hotel is wonderful! Shannon and her colleagues at the Oyster Bar provided us with a wonderful lunch experience and "saved" the day when room service (via Eastern Standard) failed us and I had to go down to the Oyster Bar restaurant and fill my own food and drink requests. (c) The location! Terrific proximity to Fenway Ballpark - we walked to and from the stadium and enjoyed a wonderful meal along the way.

Cons: SERVICE!! Other than providing us with a map of the Freedom Trail and a speedy check in , the Front Desk and Bell Service did nothing to enhance our trip and everything to take away from what was supposed to be a Happy 16th Birthday trip for my nephew.

1. After returning from the Red Sox/ Yankee game I asked the front desk if it was too late to have room service in the Baseball Suite. After taking a quick look at my Yankee T-shirt, the young man at the Front Desk said "I can't believe they let a Yankee fan stay in the Baseball Suite"! Although I am quite aware that being a Yankee fan is not a "protected class" -- the comment was highly unprofessional and made my nephew very uncomfortable.

2. Once we got to the suite we searched the suite for a room service menu. Unable to find one, we called the front desk and they informed us that there was a tablet by the bedside. The tablet did not work and apparently it did not allow guests to order through it. I asked the front desk to connect me directly to room service so I could bypass the technical difficulties and they did just that - I was transferred to Eastern Standard and put on hold for over 5 minutes. Since it was getting late I went down to the Oyster Bar and was greeted by the terrific bar staff that waited on us at lunch. My order was promptly filled and I walked directly past the front desk with my arms filled. In passing I let the front desk know that I took care of my own request and I received a "great" -- instead of a "can I help you with that"?

3. At check out I mentioned the service issues I had and was told by the front desk they would look into it. Then I asked if I could check my bag while we had brunch at Eastern Standard. With a big smile the front desk assured me that my bag would be taken care of, handed me a yellow ticket and told me to pick up my bag from the bellman on my way out. After brunch I handed the bellman the yellow tag ordered an Uber to take me to the airport and said good bye to my nephew and sister in law. I watched as familes and couples who arrived after me received their bags and no one seemed to be concerned about my bag. Finally I asked the bellman and he said they could not find my bag. The Uber had arrived by this time so I asked to take a look in the "bell" closet to see if I could find my own bag. After having no luck at the bell stand I went back upstairs to the front desk only to find my bag in the lobby of the hotel. I grabbed the bag and dragged it down 2 flights of stairs. Let the bell staff know I thought their efforts to "deliver" my bag were pathetic and then hopped in my Uber. While in the car I contacted the front desk to let them know what happened and the manager on duty assured me he would look into it.

After getting my own "room service", being insulted for being a Yankee fan and having to track down my own luggage after it was "missing" I cannot recommend that ANYONE pay over $700 a night for a suite at the Hotel Commonwealth. One month earlier I was at the Renaissance in Baltimore for the Yankee/Orioles game and received OUTSTANDING service from everyone in the hotel -- and I paid only $239 a night for a one bedroom suite walking distance to the stadium.

If you are travelling to Boston I strongly suggest you visit the Oyster Bar adjacent to the Hotel Commonwealth - but I cannot recommend that ANYONE STAY AT THE HOTEL COMMONWEALTH UNLESS YOU ENJOY SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY FOR BAD SERVICE.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Suzee2351
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Suzee2351,

I appreciate you staying with us and certainly apologize for the experience you had. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at asperling@hotelcommonwealth.com or call me at 617-532-5004 to discuss the details further.

Thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I came up to Boston for our anniversary and tried AirBnB for the first time. It was a complete catfish nightmare and we ended up booking Hotel Commonwealth for our second night. They were so nice and accommodating -- they even bummed up our room to a junior suite since we had such a rough first night in Boston. Beautiful, clean room and great location. Truly felt like a life (anniversary) saver. Loved it!

2 Thank ChristineHeim3
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
ChristineHeim3,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to upgrade you to a Commonwealth Junior Suite for your Anniversary celebration!
bergen county, nj
Reviewed 7 August 2014

newly renovated rooms, convenient location for restaurants and shopping, professional service, our go-to hotel whenever we're in Boston. And the nearby Island Creek Oyster Bar has the BEST lobster rolls!

1 Thank amtg
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
amtg,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and Island Creek Oyster Bar................I agree the Lobster Rolls are the best !!
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel was very nice. Great location and very comfortable junior suite. It was a little pricey for me but not for staying in Boston. The only thing I was unhappy with was that I didn't see any soda dispensing machines near the ice dispenser. I know a bar is attached but I would have liked to had a coke and a water when we back to our room. But it was a great stay.

Room Tip: If offered a junior suite I would take it.
Dennis Donna V,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope we will be able to welcome you back again. If you e-mail me directly at asperling@hotelcommonwealth.com with the last name of your reservation and the type of soda you prefer, we will have it ready for you the next time you stay.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I was going on a business trip to Boston and used Trip Advisor to find a hotel, that's how I ended up at the Commonwealth. And all I had read in the reviews of good things turned out to be true. Really helpful and friendly staff. A beautiful, clean and spacious room. And a great location, walking distance to shopping and very close to the subway. I also tried the restaurant for breakfast and room service a couple of times, great food.I know where I'm staying next time I'm in Boston, no question about it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Vronge
Vronge,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Commonwealth and for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kohler, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I always stay at the Hotel Commonwealth when I go to the Red Sox Yankee games at Fenway. It's a short walk to the park, surrounded by great restaurants and activity. From the minute I drop off my car at valet parking, everything is taken care of by a fabulous staff. The doorman and bell wear their Red Sox jerseys and the fun starts...Walk down the hall to the restaurant which is always packed on game-day, and enjoy a table outside which is the best people watching place on Commonwealth (a little too noisy inside.)

My sisters and I shared a room and the bathroom was huge with plenty of space for all three of us. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The Fenway room looks out on the back of the park!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Beverly D
Beverly D,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experiences. I'm so pleased you enjoy the hotel and you choose to make us part of your Red Sox experience!