“If You Must Stay Here Don't Bring Your Wife!”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We booked a "Deluxe Room" with a view overlooking Fenway Park in March a full five months before our planned arrival in Boston. After a very long journey including a transatlantic flight and a visit to my postgrad student daughter to deliver necessities for her unfurnished accommodation we arrived at The Commonwealth. The tarnished brass banistered staircase to the reception foyer did not augur well.
The hotel bar adjacent to the staircase was oppressively busy and noisy so I was looking forward to a quiet refreshing beer in our "Deluxe Room". This turned out to be a room for disabled guests which means oversized characterless bathroom (including previous guests hairs on the bath tiles), no view of Fenway Park and austere, spartan low quality furnishing with absolutely no welcoming features one would expect on arrival at a "Luxury Boston Back Bay Hotel".
There was bare electrical wiring, chipped unsightly furniture, poorly disguised access hatch,unsightly FIRE signs and sensors,no stopper in the bathroom sink, no tea or coffee making facilities and a TOTALLY empty mini-bar!
Before unpacking I called room service to order a beer, this arrived a full unacceptable 45 minutes later after I'd called again then given up hope and gone to bed.
My wife then in exasperation and barely concealed fury called the duty manager to complain and was informed that the hotel was full and we had taken the last room but would be upgraded the next day to a suite.
By way of apology the duty manager offered us complementary breakfast next morning. This was not great in a very large characterless dining bistro also open to the public.
Next evening when ordering drinks and nuts before leaving for a restaurant booking elsewhere the manager very kindly offered to make these complementary.
These arrived after 50 minutes without the nuts just as we were leaving.
The so called complementary breakfast was on the bill when we checked out and I had to request this be removed.
The young lady duty manager handled the situation well but the male duty manager (Jeff) on Sunday 24th was fairly inept at dealing with dissatisfied clients.
I have been on many 'boys' ski trips and golf trips, this hotel is ok for slightly befuddled male sports fans but don't dare bring your wife!

Room Tip: This may seem unnecessary but ask to be guaranteed having the room you actually book.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank John_W186305
NCasillo, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

Dear Michael K,

Thank you so much for your review. It is upsetting to read that we fell short of your expectations. Our staff works hard to make sure every guest has a positive and lasting impression of the hotel during and after their stay, and I am most apologetic that on this occasion you left feeling this way. I would be delighted to speak to you further about your experience here, please do reach out to me by email at ncasillo@hotelcommonwealth.com if you wish to speak a little more. Once again I am so sorry that your stay was not as you expected.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Commonwealth

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Beautiful Hotel, close to Fenway park and Boston University. Rooms were clean and large, beds were comfortable. Cost a bit high and had to pay for them to park car, but nice walking area. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Only drawback, no free coffee for guests in the lobby area. Had to go and buy some.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JanF354
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

JanF354,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We do offer complimentary in-room coffee makers upon request and would be pleased to provide one on your next visit.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

When I travel to Boston on business, I always stay at the Hotel Commonwealth. It's a great hotel - very nice rooms, great service, very helpful staff. I always feel pampered when I'm there. The hotel is quite close to Fenway Park. And within one block you have most of the comforts of home - a couple great seafood restaurants, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, MacDonalds, Barnes and Noble, and a 7-11 for those little things you forgot to bring along.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

AoifeCuRua,

Thank you so much for being a loyal customer and for taking the time to share you feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back often

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I spent two nights at Commonwealth during a job trip to Boston and I must say that everything was wonderful and perfect during my stay at this hotel. Nice location, very close to everywhere you might need to go but surprinsigly quiet, nice building, nice and modern furniture, clean rooms, large bathrooms, and all the people working there were very very nice and helpful. Nice food too...in perfect american style :-) . Recommended. You'll get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Although my room was on the street I didn't get disturbed by the noise at night. It was very qui...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
asperling, General Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Tommaso S,

Thank you so much for staying at Hotel Commonwealth and for taking the time to provide feedback. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed the hotel and hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just came back from two nights stay at the Commonwealth.
From the moment we checked in, we were made to feel really welcome, and the reception/front desk staff were efficient, knowledgeable and friendly.
We stayed in an executive suite (I believe) which had a screened off seating area, where we managed to squeeze to roll-away beds for our teenage sons.
The rooms were very well equipped, and when we were asked if we wanted tea/coffee facilities, within two minutes a Nespresso style machine was brought up to us.
Location wise, it is of course unbeatable for the Baseball (which we visited), however, if you want to stay in the heart of Boston, this is a 10 minute cab or subway ride away; something to bear in mind.
Otherwise, I have to say that I would highly recommend the Commonwealth, (the irony of doing so in a place that wanted no part of it, has not gone unnoticed by this reviewer!)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank euanhusarmi

euanhusarmi,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, our staff and great Fenway location.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Great service, beautiful rooms, wonderful location. One really gets the sense of luxury. I just wish they had coffee makers in the rooms - the one thing I found annoying was having to go downstairs and out of the lobby to get coffee.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Thomas K

Thomas K,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We do offer complimentary in-room coffee makers upon request so we can have one for you on future visits.

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

The staff and amenities here are just above and beyond all expectations!! We will definitely be staying here on our return trips to Boston. The food was amazing too. The proximity to BU is great for visiting our daughter, we are excited to return.

• Stayed: August 2014

David G,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Commonwealth and for taking the time to share your experiences. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and we look forward to being part of future visits to BU !