“Disappointing!”
Review of Forum - CLOSED

Forum
Price range: US$18 - US$32
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Transit: By T: Green Line, Copley Stop Taxis service easily accessible.
Description: FORUM is a modern interpretation of a city dining experience. Located in the heart of the Back Bay, FORUM boasts two distinct floors, two bars, an outdoor patio and cafe space, and a 1300 bottle wine cellar. On the first floor, guests are invited to socialize around our massive 45-seat center island bar, featuring 13 HD-LED TVs while savoring our selection of signature cocktails, house infused vodkas, glycol-cooled beer drafts and our exquisite selection of bar bites. Our seasonal patio and lounge area offer al fresco dining in a casual setting. Heading upstairs, our intimate martini bar provides a more private ambiance, where guests can escape the buzzing scene downstairs or simply grab a cocktail before being seated. Our dining room is elegantly appointed, sensual yet without gimmicks. Designed to provide a romantic atmosphere, the dining room offers unobstructed views of glitzy Boylston Street and provides several options for private parties, from a 12-seat center table, to our private function room with its own bar and multimedia solutions.
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We made reservations for dinner on a Sunday night the night before, and when we arrived we were told that the dining room was closed and that only the bar downstairs was open. So, we got off to a bad start. They did not tell us this when we called. We were looking forward to supporting this restaurant after what they went through in April, but the experience was totally disappointing!

The bar was extremely noisy with all the TVs blaring, the server kept rushing us to order even after we were only there 5 minutes, and the menu was "High-end" which didn't seem to fit the noisy bar atmosphere. It was not the quiet dining we expected. I don't think the Forum knows what they want to be.

If you enjoy this kind of setting where you can't hear yourself think, then this place is for you. The food was good, especially the cauliflower hummus, but we won't be back.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

OK I only give this an average rating because of the seating. When I go out to dinner in a nice restaurant I expect to be seated in comfortable chairs not high up seats at the back of a restaurant next to the entrance for the kitchen and toilets which was very noisy and distracting. I probably should of asked to be moved but I never like to make a fuss. Another quibble was we were asked would we like bottled water as opposed to tap but were never told this would cost us $5 which is a bit naughty. Now to the food my husband chose steak which he said was cooked perfect and I had the Halibut but I asked could the lobster risotto be replaced with a potato side as I don't care for lobster which they very kindly did. Both meals were presented and tasted beautifully. If it wasn't for the seating I would have given the Forum top marks.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were just passing by this bar restaurant early evening and decided to stop by and have a drink because it did not sound too rowdy like many bars on the block. Everybody was drinking and eating inside the restaurant. It was warm enough to be outside in early November in Boston and we wanted to make the best out of it. But, they told us we had to have at least a snack if we wanted to drink outside. So that was exactly what we did.

We had hummus made of white beans & cauliflower with toast, red wine and a cocktail called pumpkin sangria. It was all very good. Our waiter, Liam was very helpful, efficient and cute. We enjoyed talking to him while enjoying our drinks.

It was a great evening to be in Boston. We saw the victory parade for the Red Sox and it was over 60 degrees Fahrenheit in November in Boston and everybody was in a festive mood.
We enjoyed being outdoor in a bar restaurant that was not too loud to be able to have a nice conversation.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

My friend and I came upon Forum Restaurant when we spent a night in Boston so she could visit the Mad Russian and quit smoking once and for all. We were walk-ins and they had a two-seat table for us right away. We were greeted very warmly by a young lady and she did a great job as a hostess. We were walked all the way to the very back of the restaurant. Our server, Abi?, arrived very soon after we were seated. She was very professional, gracious and appropriate. She was already serving a large group of people that were in the back of the restaurant. The group was large and growing by the minute which resulted in them encroaching on our personal space and pretty much surrounding our table. Luckily there was another two top table away from the group and we were able to quickly move there.

The woman who was the busperson (brings bread and water, clears dishes) was very sweet and took care of us pretty well, except I felt they could have filled my water more often… I was dry for the last 15 minutes of the visit…and no one came by to fill the water – I felt it was because they were very busy tending to the large event. Not a really big deal.

The bread was fresh and warm and the honey butter was perfect.

We ordered the cauliflower and white bean hummus. OMG. This was one of the more fabulous dishes I have ever had in my entire life.

There were no specials, but the menu was new (three days old Abi said). My friend ordered the Sirloin and I ordered the halibut. I enjoyed the halibut but would have preferred a salmon as an option… as they had a blackened sole as an option and I felt choosing two white mild fish on a menu would have been slightly redundant. My friend Susan said her steak was good, but could have been less chewy…more tender. The potato side with the steak was really good…and my lobster risotto thingy for my side was tasty as well…a little salty overall though.

They cleared the dishes in a timely manner, and brought the check.

Pricing was as expected in an area such as the Back Bay and for the quality of food…the décor of the space was interesting and unique…warm, inviting and we loved the high tables and chairs… VERY comfortable chairs and everything seemed very clean in the restaurant. We liked that they had installed motion faucets, soap and towel dispensers… worked very well.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a fantastic resturant. I had great short rib dinner and a fantastic candied walnut and peach salad!!!

This is a must dine at location while in Boston !!!