The Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #79 of 83 Hotels in Boston
San Diego, California
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for 2 nights, this hotel is clean and welcoming.

A bit old though, but it was okay for us.

Room are clean and large, nothing special to say, the bed is comfortable, bathroom with a lack of light.

Wifi okay in our room, but better in a lobby as usual.

Front desk helpful and friendly.

I recommend to anyone for a short stay or business trip.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thomas T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Comfortable room. They stored our luggage for the day while we went around Boston. Friendly front desk. Had to take own bags up to room which was not a big deal. Breakfast was plain and simple - nothing special. need better signage in front. Sign was very small and entrance not clearly marked.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Janis B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

As I'm sure all other reviewers have mentioned, this place is very, VERY outdated. It actually felt a lot like stepping back in time, but I bumped what would have been a 3 star review to a 4 star one because the bed was unbelievably comfortable. Let's break it down:

The good:
-the location is great: near Copley Square and the Back Bay T station.
-the price: although still high (I think) at $169 a night for a summer weekend, it was significantly less than other hotels in the area.
it's clean, though it doesn't exactly look super clean because everything is so old that some carpet stains (for instance) are just permanent.
-the people at the front desk were all incredibly nice.
-there is free wifi in the lobby and sometimes in the rooms. I guess it can be patchy. They do have a business center, though, if you're desperate.
-the most amazingly comfortable bed ever.

The not-so-good/bad:
-it's old and it looks old. The room had a tube tv. I haven't seen one of those outside of someone's house in a while. I'm pretty sure the hotel is not handicap accessible. At least not that I could see. You have to go up about half a flight of stairs from the street and the door has is pull/push (which is super fun when you're hauling luggage around). The carpet desperately needs to be replaced. The bathroom in the room gave me flashbacks to my grade school bathrooms (a combination of the tile, the color, the low-sitting industrial-style toiled, the chipped sink, etc.).
-it's a bit hard to find: the entrance is on the dead end portion of Trinity Street and it looks nothing like a hotel entrance. There is also no place to stop a car out front and unload and check in before parking.
-the front desk staff, although nice, was not overly knowledgeable. Well, in fairness, I only asked one question about there area, but it should have been a simple one: where can we get some dessert like a slice of cake or a brownie to eat up in the room? The best the woman behind the desk could do was direct me (incorrectly as it turned out) to a Shaw's. Following her directions, I passed right by an Au Bon Pain and got some yummy cupcakes.
-the elevators: they worked flawlessly, but they were a bit frightening. In one you could very loudly hear the chains in the elevator shaft. It really sounded like there was a guy back there pulling on the chains, hauling the car up and down. I named him Pierre.

I know the lists of not-so-goods is longer than the list of goods, but I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat the next time I'm in the Boston area. It's seriously no frills, but it get's the job done and I'm going to be missing that bed for a while.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Agnes N
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

The location can't be beat. Located at Copley Square and a half a block walk from back bay express bus from Logan. Free wifi in the lobby and breakfast. Hotel is dated but only stayed one night and thus got a good nights sleep.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jordansbulls
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here five years ago while we were visiting Boston. This hotel was great! It was in a great area, not far away from transportation, restaurants, shopping, tourist attractions, etc. It was still fairly quiet for being in a busy business area. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again if we ever get to go back to Boston.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is in the perfect location, right across from shops, restaurants etc and only a 15-20 min walk to downtown Boston. Although I didn't get one as the weather was lovely and I wanted to walk, there were plenty of buses and as far as I'm told there is a train station really close by.
The girl behind the desk was really welcoming when I arrived and was pleasant throughout our stay. The rooms are dated but ours was exceptionally clean. Shower worked and bed was comfy. Didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on that, overall I was really impressed considering what I had paid, I booked on priceline and was able to get a deal. Had met a few other people staying in near by hotels and they literally had paid more than double what I paid, so I was well chuffed. Boston is such a nice city, so unless your planning on sitting in your room all day then maybe splash out a bit, but this place is great to rest your head at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Room 803, wifi was perfect If you don't mind being on the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel looks like you are walking into a 1920's hotel, which is losing its charm. Things are bit rough around the edges. Rooms are large and clean. The place was adequate for a few nights for a conference. The big surprise of the place was how quiet the hotel is. Seriously, my room's window was off the breakfast area. I never heard anything from there. I walked outside onto the street and realized how noise the streets were, which you did not hear inside. I did hear people out in the hallway, but you expect that at a hotel. I did not hear any outside noise.

I think breakfast was included. I went downstair to check it out; it was pretty basic continental. Nothing to write home about, I preferred buying a coffee and yogurt somewhere else.

The staff seemed friendly. I was able to check my bags in a locked storage area, which locks/unlocks remotely at the front desk.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business