“Nice hotel BUT....”

Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf
Ranked #29 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just spent a week here and will check out tomorrow. I was here for work. Due to it's location it's a pretty expensive hotel. It's a nice hotel and the staff were all very friendly. Check in was easy. The rooms as fairly spacious and I understand the suites are very spacious. The free breakfast here is one of the better ones I've had in any hotel in the US. You are within walking distance of the North End and more restaurants than you could imagine. No chains at all but all local places. Be careful as some are Cash only. You're also very close to the USS Constitution. There is a lot of construction in the area though and I believe access is very limited. If you have a car you'll likely be paying to park which is expensive here. There are some free limited spaces but they are tough to get. If you like to sleep in make sure you do not get a room bridge/highway side or even near it. My first room (209) had me staring at the bridge and tunnel underneath it. Every loud motorcycle and truck came right into my room. My next room (611) was a little further away but you still hear the loud noises but not quite as bad. I travel internationally and one thing I've learned is that US hotels seem to have an aversion to having a nice gym. The gym here was very small with limited equipment. Some aerobic gear with a small rack of dumbbells. Nothing else. Some executives here in the US need to travel overseas to see how their counterparts are doing it right in their hotels. I'm talking about Marriott and Hilton properties.
I did like this hotel and its staff and would stay here again as long as I didn't get a room on the highway side.

Room Tip: See above for tip.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bigfoot424
ResidenceInnTudorWhf, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

We strive to make sure each and every one of our guests feel right at home. While it was our pleasure to accommodate you for the week, we do regret if we did not meet your expectations on every level. We are sorry if your experience in our fitness center did not leave you with a more favorable impression. Thank you for your constructive feedback, as we are always looking for new ways to improve for our future guests. Many of our rooms offer stunning views and we trust that our staff will be able to help find the perfect room for next time. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to the Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is ideal exotically with children.
Clean spacious. Attention to detail.
Close enough to children"s museum, aquarium and museum of arts and science.easy access to Boston ballet and the movies.
Love to work out you have great facilities for they as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf. We're delighted that our convenient location to Boston's family-friendly attractions worked out so well for your trip and we greatly appreciate your encouraging remarks regarding our fitness center. It makes us happy to know that we achieved our goal in meeting and exceeding your expectations and we hope you'll think of us again the next time you plan a trip to Boston.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Staff
Check-in staff and kitchen help were very friendly and helpful. I didn’t have any dealings with the valet, but he seemed grumpy my entire stay and never greeted me when I entered or left the hotel.
Facility
Staff upgraded me to a beautiful 1-bedroom corner room on the 4th floor facing the harbor. The view of the city and water was very nice. The one drawback was that it was on the side of the highway, which made for some noise. The two 46” (?) TVs were nice. The condition of the overall facility seemed very well-maintained, almost like new condition in many areas. I did not use the pool, hot tub or exercise room.
Prices
Prices were high, but probably in line with other similar hotels in Boston.
Location
Within easy walking distance to Boston Garden and the North Station subway stop. I was in Boston for a conference downtown and it wasn’t too inconvenient to travel between locations by subway. It was cold and windy and several times I walked over the bridge, which seemed close to ½ mile and included waiting at stop lights. When I left the last time, I was told of the walk through the park and over the locks, which was much shorter and didn’t have stop lights.
Also within easy walking distance to USS Constitution and the nearby ferry stop to the aquarium. A little longer, but doable, is walking to the North Church and Little Italy, which is very interesting.
Breakfast and Reception
Eating area was well laid out, with plenty of room. Breakfast was usual Residence Inn fare with good selection and quality. The receptions for the two nights I was there were lasagna (3 varieties) and barbecue pork sandwiches. Receptions were well-stocked; they even had 3 types of hard ice cream and toppings the lasagna evening.

Room Tip: East side for less noise from highway.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ResidenceInnTudorWhf, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your detailed review of your visit with us here at the Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf. We regret if you did not receive consistently great service across the board and we apologize for any inconveniences. We are happy to know that our location worked out well for your conference downtown. If we get the opportunity to welcome you back, we trust that our staff can help find the perfect room location to ensure a more enjoyable visit in the future.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The staff at this hotel exceed all expectations. The front desk staff; Dottie, Eileen, Geri, Lenette, Tiannah always greet us by name and welcome us back, assigning one of our favorite rooms. The breakfast staff give us a hug when we return, and housekeeping does and excellent job with a smile and pleasant greeting each day.

We feel so welcomed and at home as return guests at this Marriott and always stye here when we visit Boston.

Room Tip: request a harbor view room...worth the extra price.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ResidenceInnTudorWhf, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

We are thrilled to learn that you feel right at home with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf. All of our team members are grateful for your kind words, especially the ones you have mentioned by name. It is rewarding to know that we exceeded your expectations and we hope you will continue to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

If you are considering this place for a long term stay make sure you understand their parking situation. The hotel offers valet parking at a daily and hourly rate. But if you want a more affordable solution for a long term stay, they will not accommodate. The boiler-plate answer is that they have free side of the building city parking (30 stalls) where you can park in at your own risk if they are available (on day 18 of 30 I have only been able to park there twice). Another boiler-plate answer is that there is long term parking that can be negotiated with outside companies. That may not always be the case, when I attempted to make arrangements I was told that there was a wait list of over a month. So plan accordingly! The hotel is located near TD Garden so chances are during games, events or when the weather is nice you will find no parking. I would have rated this hotel better (in value, location and service) had there been more consideration made for their lack of parking.

Julia at the front desk is professional, sharp, service oriented and willing to assist you. She makes an effort to know your name. She helped check me in and is always seen working diligently to make the guest comfortable. The rest of the staff will most likely not even say good morning or welcome back, not even after day 18 of seeing you.

The room is nice; a standard size for Residence Inn with the standard layout of living area, kitchenette, bedroom and bath. The kitchenette is on the smaller side but offers you enough space to do your essentials even on a long term stay.

This hotel has an indoor pool and spa. It's nice but has a strong chlorine odor. Food area can get crowded in the evenings. Breakfast on the weekends is busy but plentiful on the weekdays.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Zakim bridge be warned that the flood lights are so bright you'll have...
3  Thank RJM1980

Thank you for reaching out to us after your extended visit with us here in Boston and for sharing your kind recognition of one of our staff members. We will pass along your praises so she knows just how much her efforts were appreciated! I'd like to express my sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced with our self-parking options. We truly regret to read that you encountered difficulties and we appreciate that you've brought these concerns to our attention. We do our best to make our guests’ stay very welcoming and we will keep your comments in mind. We also regret if your experience did not reflect our typical high standards of customer service. We are honored that we had this opportunity to accommodate you for a long-term stay and we appreciate your very valuable feedback.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The front desk personnel are excellent. Usually, staff tend to be the icing on the cake but in this case, I have found them to be the cake. The brightest of stars we have encountered is Lisa Soares. She exemplifies customer service and has made this hotel feel more like a home-away-from home than anyone else we have met on staff. She has the ability of meeting someone once and recalling their name the next time she sees them.

Maid service is excellent. Room consistently spotless and fresh smelling.
Paul Mitchell hair & body products.
The kitchen is well equipped: dishes, dishwasher, cook top (2 burners), microwave, full fridge/freezer w ice maker. Detergent, utensils, glasses, utensils, water pitcher, colander, pots/pans, cloth & paper towels.
The market shop in the lobby, just right of the front desk has a larger variety than must extended stay hotels. In addition to Mama Celeste pizzas, Hot Pockets, Ben & Jerry’s, and Snickers ice cream bars, they also carry Amy’s dinners, Skinny Cow, Sabra snacks, mixed nuts and drinks. Even their beer and wine choices are decent! If you wanted to relax and not venture out, it is easy to do so.
My only gripes are: 1.You cannot take the stairs to the lobby; both stairwells lead you outside the building. 2. No recycling bins in the rooms - bottles and paper make up 80% of my waste yet it’s combined with other waste.

Room Tip: The hotel has 8 floors. The best rooms, based on view, would start from the highest floor and end in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ResidenceInnTudorWhf, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

We can't thank you enough for sharing your wonderful review of our staff members here at the Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf! We aim to deliver exceptional customer service to each and every one of our guests and it brings us great joy to know that we accomplished this during your visit with us. We hope any inconveniences during your stay were minimal and that you'll choose to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My son and I stayed here for his birthday and a Celtics game in January. From the first welcoming by the bellman/valet to the friendly and attentive front desk staff, this was an excellent choice for us. We walked over the small bridge/locks to the Garden, ate dinner nearby, enjoyed a great game, and walked about 10 minutes back to the hotel after the game. What made it even more of a perfect night were the snacks and ice cream the front desk staff sent to our room/freezer for my son since it was his birthday. A Marriott at it's best.

The room had a great view of the water, marina, and skyline of Boston and was a one bedroom suite. I had read in other reviews that the walls were a little thin and I did hear our neighbors when they got into their room, but that was all and it wasn't a problem for us. The location was perfect for what we wanted, the service was outstanding, and the room overlooking the water was gorgeous.

The staff went above and beyond and I will never forget their thoughtfulness. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MaineTravel50

We are happy that everything went so well with your stay! Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf for your son's birthday getaway. It is wonderful to know that we helped make your son’s birthday so fun and memorable. We will gladly share your comments with our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back again.