“Comfort, quality, great location”

Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf
Ranked #27 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Ballston Spa, New York
“Comfort, quality, great location”
Reviewed 16 September 2010

The staff went out of their way to make the stay enjoable. Had trouble with our key card and the front desk staff was at our room within minutes! The continental breakfast was one of the best we've seen.The staff was always making sure all was well supplied and all tables were kept clean. Our room was delightful and the kitchen area had everything you'd require. The location is terrific! It is within walking distance to so much - downtown Boston, Bunker Hill, the North end, and Faniel Hall, just to mention some sites.The only suggestion I have is to possibly update the in room TVs.
My family will be staying here whenever we visit the Boston area! Maybe next time we will have time to use the pool!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank retiredndhappy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Torrance, California
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I have stayed here twice in the past year. My stay earlier this year was wonderful. However, my stay this past week was marginal - especially the service. I am a business traveler on government business and I was hassled at the front desk for ID (never in 25 years have I been asked to prove my identification) in order to get the nightly rate that my company travel office booked. I don't travel with my badge for security reasons as instructed by my company. I showed the receptionist my itinerary from my company and she and the manager just lectured me on the policy. I understand that policy is policy - it was the "not listening" patronizing tone that was offensive. I had to have a letter from my company faxed for proof of the rate. Then, my phone was not working properly - when I called to report it, I was told that I did not know how to use it. So it happened again on the next day with a different phone function and I talked to someone else who insisted that it was my error. When I finally pushed back, they said they would send an engineer out to check. A little sweetness would go a long way - it almost seems like there has been a change in management or something since I last stayed

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
TimBrett, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
On behalf of Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, please accept our sincere apologies for your recent experience. We always strive to provide our customers with the very finest service and we regret that this was not the case. I personally will review your service challenges and engineering issues to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We assure you that your experience is not typical and would love the opportunity to welcome you back to offer the attention and service that you deserve. With my sincerest gratitude for your response.
near Seattle, WA
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We stayed at the Residence Inn on Tudor Wharf for two nights last month. It is at the far end of the Freedom Trail, across the bridge from the North End, near the Charlestown Navy Yard. So it is not right downtown but had much more reasonable rates than the downtown hotels I looked into. It was easy to walk the Freedom Trail backwards, starting at the USS Constitution, winding our way thru town, and ending at Boston Commons. Both nights we ate dinner near Faneuil Hall and then took a cab back ($10 incl tip). We could have walked but we were tired and it was getting dark. The hotel was typical Residence Inn -- clean, roomy, friendly staff. The room had a living room, bedroom, and tiny kitchen. Breakfast buffet was good -- more than just pastry and coffee -- there was cereal, eggs, etc. The eating area was quite full around 9:00, 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday, but it looked like you could take a tray back to your room. We just found an empty couch and balanced our plates. It was a quick cab ride to the airport for an early morning flight home. Overall, a very nice stay. Oh, and free wifi -- important for teens with electronics!

1 Thank familynavigator
northern NJ
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I've read several of reviews & wanted to add my 2 cents. This is the 2nd year in a row we've stayed in this location. We usually spend 1-2 nights in the Boston &/or Cambridge area en route to visit family in N. MA. I really do enjoy this location. Last year we spent a day touring the USS Constitution, climbed the Bunker Hill Memorial (its closed now for maintenance,) took the ferry to Fanueil Hall for dinner & went on the creepily fun Ghosts & Graveyard Tour. This year we spent the morning in Harvard Square over in Cambridge, came back & had lunch with the rest of our family, only a minute walk from the hotel in a very nice place mentioned in a previous review. We then took the ferry to Long Wharf, bought tickets for a tour of Fenway Park (highly recommended) then took the "T" to Fenway. Afterwards, we took the kids to "Tomb" near Fenway (they had a blast), then back to Fanueil Hall for dinner. Since the ferry service ends around 8 PM weeknites, we took cabs back to the hotel (less than $10.) The 1st evening, the front desk suggested 99's for dinner, a cheap, but good comfort food family restaurant (perfect after our long drive up from NJ for a light bite & fussy kids.) You do need a car to get here. Otherwise, they're several nice places in walking distance. If you drink, the mixed drinks looked generous & delicious. If you miss the hotel's breakfast buffet offering an array of hot/cold selections, there's a bakery/sandwich shop around the corner. BTW, don't miss Emack & Bollio's for ice cream, a great New England ice cream chain. I like being in this safe & picturesque area, you're definitely out of the hustle & bustle, and I found the room rates to be a lot cheaper than other locations in Boston. We stayed in a 1-bedroom suite. My big complaint for this room, when the sleeper sofa is open, its impossible to sit at the desk or even to get from one side of the bed to the other which you need to do to make it up with linens. The desk or sofa needs to be re-positioned. We found the front desk people to be entirely helpful, giving directions, calling tour companies for more information, suggesting restaurants, etc. We parked our car at the Residence Inn, never had an issue about getting it when we needed it, the rest of our family party, used the $20/day public parking. They opted for the studio room, it was close quarters for 3 adults, but since they only stayed 1 evening and we were out for most of the time, it was ok, but the 1 bedroom, is a much better deal for only a few bucks more. Again, if you want to feel in the thick of things, stay in the Copley Plaza area...but if you want a calmer experience & don't mind a ferry ride, walking or taking cabs, this is a great location.

Irvine, CA
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I would first say that unless you really need the larger rooms that a Residence Inn offers, you're better off staying in any one of the fine hotels more centrally-located in Boston. One of the issues with this hotel, as I was aware of before my stay, is that it is off to the north in Charlestown. The problem is that if you want to have the pulse of the city at your doorstep, you won't get that here. If you should want to return to the hotel to freshen up after a day of touring, then want to head out into the city at night, you have to retrace your steps once again across the Charlestown Bridge and make your way to what part of the town you want to visit. In a more central location you'd be able to possibly head in a completely different direction right outside your hotel and more efiiciently use your time and energy.

Another issue with this hotel is the price. I paid more here than any hotel I've ever stayed in, including a 2-bedroom hotel room in Midtown Manhattan. At this Residence Inn, I had to swallow the steep $369.00/night cost (AAA rate!) for the 2 bedroom suite because it's nearly impossible to find accommodations for larger groups in the heart of the city (I have a family of 5). Even booking this room wasn't easy. In and around Boston, Residence Inn will not allow the 2 bedroom suites to come up on their website unless you book for one week. I realized this by pure chance, and had to "game" the system by first reserving for a week, then shortening my stay to my requirement of 4 nights using the website's reservation system to modify my reservation. Even calling Residence Inn directly wouldn't allow me to book the room for 4 nights. I've never seen this artificial restriction before at this or any other chain.

As for the positives, the hotel is located on a neat little wharf where many big yachts are docked. You can walk over to the USS Constitution with ease, and there's this great little restaurant called Max and Dylan's very close by. Of course you also get the free breakfast, an indoor pool, and a location that is quieter than what you would get in the heart of the city. North Station is a 10 minute walk away.

In essence, you've got to decide what you really need from your stay. If you want to be in the thick of the great city of Boston, pass this one up. If you need a larger room, a free breakfast, and don't mine reaching deep into the wallet for these benefits, then this property would be a candidate.

With benefit of hindsight, another viable option for families would be to stay outside the city in Burlington, Dedham, Waltham, or other areas, pay far less for the room, then simply drive in to the city and pay $25-$35 for parking for the day.

2 Thank LMK5
New York City area
Reviewed 22 August 2010

First of all, this hotel is NOT in Boston...it is across a long bridge, or weird pedestrian connection, from Boston. YES it is on the Freedom Trail, at the extreme end of it. Yes, it is on the water, very pretty. However, it is extremely inconvenient to anything else. While there are a couple of dining options nearby (and walking around Charlestown, whcih is where it REALLY is, is charming), the hotel does nothing to direct visitors to them. In fact the staff of the hotel seems to do nothing period. There were kids running through halls, taking over exercise facility, etc. I saw at least four guests complain to front desk, who made no response at all. I have stayed at many Marriott facilities but this was one of the worst. We actually stayed here for "free" (except for $32 a night parking charge) and I still feel like it was a lousy value. Walls are also like paper, could here kids crying all night, and living room of one bedroom "sutie" was so narrow that once our son lowered the sofabed he could not move at all.

1 Thank jwbiv
TimBrett, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, responded to this review, 23 August 2010
On behalf of the Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, I would like to apologize for your disappointing stay. I assure you that this certainly does not represent a typical experience here at our property. It can be a delicate balance but we pride ourselves on making each and every guest feel that their needs have been met and hopefully exceeded. I will research exactly the details of your stay to make sure this does not happen in the future. Your comments mean a great deal to the hotel and to me personally, and I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the near future. Sincerely, Tim Brett, General Manager
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn on Tudor Wharf for our anniversary over Memorial Day weekend. When we arrived and checked in, I knew we were in the right place. The woman at the desk was lovely, checked our reservation and said she was putting us in her favorite room in the hotel! The mini suite was beautiful and had windows on two sides,which offered stunning views of the Harbor and the skyline of the North End. The hotel staff were helpful, they recommended a restaurant where the 'locals' eat as opposed to the more 'touristy' places, even called us a cab. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel, and Boston itself was awesome. We would definitely go back, and would absolutely stay in this lovely hotel again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple