“Best place in Boston”

Ranked #25 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Ottawa
“Best place in Boston”
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Our daughter lives close so we always stay there. It is not a 5 Star but the service and staff make it so. Free WiFi and other amenities. We initially stayed in the Marriott in Copley Sq and found it to be overpriced and lacking amenities. Our first choice was the Residence Inn but all was booked.

A drop in to see our favorite Guest Service Supervisor found us a room, and as SHE had done so many problem solving non-isses over the years - WE will ALWAYS choose this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I traveled to Boston alone to sight see. I could not have been more pleased with this hotel. The service was outstanding, the staff (Lisa, especially )was very helpful assisting me with finding a way around the city as well as great places to eat and shop
The complimentary breakfast was incredible too
I road the Upper Deck trolley to see the sights & walk around the city. I also walked across the bridge to the North End a few times. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone
I even took the Commuter Rail to Rockport to see the beach/ocean for a day - Spectacular!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2010

This is a typical Marriott Residence Inn with standard amenities. However, tourists will find its location inconvenient. The hotel is located on the far side of the Charles River just over the Charlestown/Boston bridge. Public trnasportation is not readily available. It is about a mile walk one way to the nearest MTA (subway/train) stop at North Station, and a little further to the stop at Government Center. OK if you're in reasonable physical shape, but what about when it is raining, snowing, too hot or cold, etc?

There is no taxi stand anywhere near the hotel. Cabs arrive sporadically, and the hotel desk will call a taxi for you, but at peak times and when the weather is inclement, the waits for a taxi will be long.

This hotel is OK if you have a car, but most visitors to Boston don't (and shouldn't) have one. On our next visit to Boston, we will choose a hotel that is more conveniently located.

Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 24 September 2010

My husband and I had a reservation for a studio room and when we arrived at the hotel, they were overbooked for studios (there were two weddings going on when we arrived), so we were upgraded to a suite at no extra charge. The room was very nice and clean. The kitchen even had silverware, dishes, glasses, knives, pots and pans, and a dishwasher!

The FREE morning breakfast was always yummy, with your choice of waffles you made fresh yourself, yogurt, toast, bagels, muffins, fruit, eggs, meat, cereal (both hot and cold), juice, and coffee. Also, during the week, they have either free food or reception.

The hotel is across the Charles River from downtown Boston, but is easily walked in 10-15 minutes. It's also a five-ten minute walk to the Water Taxi that takes you to the Aquarium (and sites nearby, as well as a Metro stop). When you are downtown, you can easily either walk or take a subway to the Aquarium stop.

If you're going to be in town for more than a couple days, be sure to buy the 7-day Link Pass ($15). It's good for unlimited travel on the bus, subway, and the water taxi (without a pass, it would have been $3.50 from the airport to the hotel, individual rides on the bus or subway are $2 each and the Water Taxi is $1.70 per ride, so you can see it's a great deal!). We purchased ours at the airport and used it to get into town (we took the Silver Airport bus inbound to the South Station, then caught the Red line to Downtown Crossing, walked upstairs, then around the corner to Franklin and Washington Streets, and caught the #93 bus that dropped us off at Chelsea and Warren Streets, a block and a half from the hotel.) There's supposedly a faster way to get there (using the Blue subway, but since we weren't yet acquainted with their subway system and this was the route suggested to us, we opted for it and it worked great!)

We found the Link Pass to be a time saver (as well as keeping us from overtiring ourselves hiking everywhere), as it was easy to hop on a subway or bus to get between places that were quite a walk. And it was great taking the Water Taxi at the end of the day, as it was a calm, quiet, and serene way to end our day of sightseeing and it dropped us off a few blocks from the hotel.

Even though the price was way higher than what we normally spend on hotels, Boston is an expensive town and the price was not out of line with other hotels. I would definitely recommend staying here!

1 Thank mamacita97008
Ballston Spa, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2010

The staff went out of their way to make the stay enjoable. Had trouble with our key card and the front desk staff was at our room within minutes! The continental breakfast was one of the best we've seen.The staff was always making sure all was well supplied and all tables were kept clean. Our room was delightful and the kitchen area had everything you'd require. The location is terrific! It is within walking distance to so much - downtown Boston, Bunker Hill, the North end, and Faniel Hall, just to mention some sites.The only suggestion I have is to possibly update the in room TVs.
My family will be staying here whenever we visit the Boston area! Maybe next time we will have time to use the pool!

1 Thank retiredndhappy
Torrance, California
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I have stayed here twice in the past year. My stay earlier this year was wonderful. However, my stay this past week was marginal - especially the service. I am a business traveler on government business and I was hassled at the front desk for ID (never in 25 years have I been asked to prove my identification) in order to get the nightly rate that my company travel office booked. I don't travel with my badge for security reasons as instructed by my company. I showed the receptionist my itinerary from my company and she and the manager just lectured me on the policy. I understand that policy is policy - it was the "not listening" patronizing tone that was offensive. I had to have a letter from my company faxed for proof of the rate. Then, my phone was not working properly - when I called to report it, I was told that I did not know how to use it. So it happened again on the next day with a different phone function and I talked to someone else who insisted that it was my error. When I finally pushed back, they said they would send an engineer out to check. A little sweetness would go a long way - it almost seems like there has been a change in management or something since I last stayed

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
TimBrett, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
On behalf of Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf, please accept our sincere apologies for your recent experience. We always strive to provide our customers with the very finest service and we regret that this was not the case. I personally will review your service challenges and engineering issues to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We assure you that your experience is not typical and would love the opportunity to welcome you back to offer the attention and service that you deserve. With my sincerest gratitude for your response.
near Seattle, WA
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We stayed at the Residence Inn on Tudor Wharf for two nights last month. It is at the far end of the Freedom Trail, across the bridge from the North End, near the Charlestown Navy Yard. So it is not right downtown but had much more reasonable rates than the downtown hotels I looked into. It was easy to walk the Freedom Trail backwards, starting at the USS Constitution, winding our way thru town, and ending at Boston Commons. Both nights we ate dinner near Faneuil Hall and then took a cab back ($10 incl tip). We could have walked but we were tired and it was getting dark. The hotel was typical Residence Inn -- clean, roomy, friendly staff. The room had a living room, bedroom, and tiny kitchen. Breakfast buffet was good -- more than just pastry and coffee -- there was cereal, eggs, etc. The eating area was quite full around 9:00, 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday, but it looked like you could take a tray back to your room. We just found an empty couch and balanced our plates. It was a quick cab ride to the airport for an early morning flight home. Overall, a very nice stay. Oh, and free wifi -- important for teens with electronics!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family