“Good Location, Cramped Rooms”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Stayed at Onyx for an evening in August, it is centrally located and within walking distance to Quincy Market, Union Oyster House, Faneuil Hall (all roughly a 5-10 minute walk). Rooms were clean, beds were firm and comfortable, staying in a DElux King bed room on the 4th Floor(402). Room was a bit cramped but didnt bother us as we were using the room to simply sleep. Bathroom was nice and spacious. There is no view except of neighboring rooms through your window. I am not sure I would have paid the full asking price for this hotel given the option (booked this through Sneaqaway) but all in all a positive experiance. Would reccomend if you are spending the day/night in Boston.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 August 2011

I don't understand how people can knock this hotel even the least bit. You get:

- Free WiFi (it actually worked, and wasn't slow!)
- Programmable A/C unit that actually works
- Flat panel TV
- Nice sized desk
- Great decor (especially compared to other hotels)
- iHome radio/iPod/iPhone player
- Leopard print robes
- Pet friendly
- Quiet (even with our room right next to the ice machine)
- Decent view (from our room which faced the street)
- In center city
- North station subway just a block away
- Great, helpful staff

We loved our stay here. The room was so comfortable I was actually happy and partially excited to head back at night and just relax. I think we paid $15 for a week subway/bus pass and used it to go everywhere. If you arrived via air, take the shuttle from the airport to the airport station on the blue line. Then you can transfer to the orange line at State and take the orange line to North Station. It's two small blocks and around the corner of Portland Street is the hotel. Check out mbta.com.

I suppose some might say the room is a bit small but neither of us noticed/mentioned it. Very clean. Another con is the parking since the hotel charges $42 a night I believe. We parked at the Government Center Parking Garage which you can literally see when standing outside the hotel on Portland street. It was about a block and a half away and parking was $10 a weekend night and $35 for a full week day. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but rather went out for brunch or picked up something cheap at Dunkin Donuts. You can't walk a block in Boston without seeing a DD. Starbucks are a bit scarce.

I remember thinking one night before I fell asleep that the A/C unit is a bit loud but was surprised it didn't bother me during the previous nights. It's not annoyingly loud or high pitched and didn't bother me even after noticing the noise. It only kicks on for very short periods of time anyway. My girlfriend is a super light sleeper and didn't notice the A/C until I mentioned it either. She wakes up even if she hears the cat walking on the carpet at home and thought it kind of odd the A/C didn't bother her either but no complaints!

Great location to take the subway just down to Faneuil Hall or out to Cambridge or Back Bay/South End or anywhere really. The area around the hotel felt perfectly safe even walking back late at night. We will definitely stay here again when we come back to Boston. Four days and we still didn't get to experience even half of Boston!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Nice size room with comfortable bed. The problem seems to be with "back office". I stayed for two nights and it seemed everytime I was in the lobby or at the (small) front desk one of the three people crammed behind the desk was solving a billing complaint--making me worry and also causing long delays at the desk. In addition, right after checking in @ 6 pm a male staff member came to my room to check to make sure my honor bar was complete--it wasn't. A little uncomfortable for a female solo traveler. After all that, they charged me $31 for a bottle of wine I didn't drink from the honor bar. If you can't manage it stop offering it! Was also asked for a job by a bellman after seeing who I worked for on a fax they sent for me...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed 3 nights here for some sightseeing around Boston. Comfortable room, friendly front-desk service at a good rate for a near city centre hotel. It is around 15mins walk from Quincy Market and the North End and close to two MTA stations for trips to Cambridge/Harvard and further into the city centre.
Would definitely stay again on a future visit to Boston.

1  Thank Ramborao
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Spent 2 nights at the Onyx Hotel in July, and upon arrival you felt like you were at home.The staff always friendly and ready to help you in any way.The room we got was very clean, the washroom was spotless.The bedsheets were fresh and crisp.The room also has a safe which I find very pratical. Location is good, within walking distance to Fanueil Hall and the North End (LITTLE ITALY), and close to a T-stop.One block away from the TD GARDENS.

The complementary wine hour at the Kimpton Hotels is always a treat.

Would recomend the Onyx to anyone looking for a great staffed hotel in Boston.

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton In Touch program which is free and get a $10 credit to be used from the mini-bar an...
2  Thank vincentb18
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

Dear Vincentb18,

Thank you for writing a review and for your reccomendation to other travelers! It brings me great pleasure to see that you were so satisfied with your stay, from the room, to our location and to our friendly staff. We hope you plan on returning in the near future!

Reviewed 1 August 2011

This hotel is not in a good spot in Boston...You can not walk to attractions. The rooms are so small that you feel trapped!! The worst part is that the service is totally lacking... No valet out front...You have to leave your car and walk into the hotel to find someone to help you...Front desk not very helpful. We had asked for a late checkout so that we could sleep in. The front desk did not tell the maid about the late check out so the maid stormed into our room with one quick knock then opened the door around 10. I informed the front desk who didn't seem to really care....DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Your money will be better spent somewhere else!!!!

2  Thank traveler33324
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We stayed at the Onyx Hotel on Portland Street over a weekend for our visit to Boston, and found the hotel through TripAdvisor recommendations and the website. We used the 'wicked' promotion and got a great rate with a $25 food credit.
The hotel staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful with any requests. We had two rooms with king beds and they were very nice, a bit small, but all that we needed. The bathrooms are large and also very nice. The king bed was GREAT, pillows very luxurious.
We enjoyed the wine social hour at 5:00, and enjoyed after dinner drinks in the bar with friends. We ordered room service for breakfast one morning, the coffee was great and food delicious.
The hotel was a great location for us, a short walk to the Faneuil Hall area, a bit longer walk to Boston Commons to meet up with the Freedom Trail tours, and a very short walk to the North Station T. We walked to the Charles/MGH T stop to go to Harvard, and took a cab to the Back Bay area for lunch and shopping. We dined in the North End Italian area, at Francesca’s on North and Lucca on Hanover, both were withing walking distance of the hotel, had great atmosphere!
We highly recommend the Onyx Hotel!

1  Thank BullCityGirl
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Paris0618,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, from the location, to the food and the pillows!