“Another Perfect Stay at Onyx!”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #32 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brewster, Massachusetts
“Another Perfect Stay at Onyx!”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

From the moment we checked in until we walked out the door the next morning, the staff was amazing. They were happy to answer any questions and fill any requests we had. The room was spotless. I never feel like I'm staying at a hotel when I'm at a Kimpton property, I feel like I'm staying in a friends posh guest room. There is no better hotel experience than Kimpton!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Serbian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I arrived in the pouring rain after a horrible day at work, feeling really sick, and the check-in was so quick and friendly. The woman asked how my trip was, if I needed a map of the area, a dinner recommendation, just was really really nice. The room was great- and the bed was so comfortable. I was very sick and I still slept amazingly. The room service was up in close to 15 minutes- and I had a great salad for dinner.

The next morning, check-out again was very fast and friendly. They seemed genuinely happy that you were staying there. It was a great value. For those who are not familiar with Boston, it is a great location walking distance to the North Station Bars, the North End, and the Faneuil Hall.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Onyx Hotel over the Labour Day weekend. Our 2nd floor room (202) was small and facing the roof and an ac unit, but clean and comfortable. Bathroom was a decent size with good water pressure.

This hotel is conveniently located 3-5 minutes on foot from the North Station and about 10 minutes away from the Quincy Market. Lots of restaurants and pubs around as well as a 7-11 on the corner.

Two things were a let down:
1) When we checked in and went to our room - we discovered that it wasn't properly cleaned after the previous guests (e.g., dirty wine glasses, unmade bed, etc.). However, once we spoke with the reception, we got a different room within the next 15-20 minutes. These things happen but are nonetheless annoying.
2) Breakfast was rather disorganized in terms of service. We only had breakfast at Onyx once per our stay (thanks to the complimentary breakfast cards) and didn't eat there again after finding that fruits were not fresh and somewhat spoiled...

However, overall we enjoyed staying at the Onyx Hotel and I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Onyx Hotel in Boston for our 25th anniversary. When they found this out they up graded us to a bigger room and sent us champagne and fruit. Then Hurricaine Irene kept us in Boston for two extra days. The Onyx did what they could to help us get a flight and gave us the Hurricaine rate on the room for the extra nights. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Dear 919cat ,

Happy 25th Anniversary! We are so happy you decided to celebrate this special occasion at our hotel and I hope our staff helped create long lasting memories for you both!
Avoca, Iowa
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Within walking distance of many Boston attractions. The location, friendly staff, and clean room comfortable room made this a great vacation. We stayed for 3 nights with our teenage son. The room is a bit small, like probably most in Boston, but the hotel amenities were wonderful. Besides I didn't go to Boston to be in our room.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The Onyx was a great place to stay on my first trip to Boston. While it may not be right in the center of the “touristy” stuff, it is very close to two T stations and within walking distance of some amazing restaurants and bars.

The hotel is on the small side, but is more cozy than cramped. The King bedroom was sufficient for two and the bathroom was great (amazing water pressure in the shower). The bed was extremely comfortable and it was possible to get the room completely dark, which is very important to me.

There is a wine hour every evening in the Ruby Room lounge area. We joined the other couple we travelled with for one night and loved the sangria.

There is also breakfast every morning. This was the only thing I wasn’t 100% happy with. While we had coupons for a continental breakfast, the hotel offers something slightly larger for a bit more money. Unfortunately, the breakfast items are not separated in a way that makes it clear what is included with either option. The wait staff didn’t make any comments regarding what we ate, but I felt uncomfortable not knowing what was allowed for my package.

One additional thing that impressed me was how the hotel dealt with its guests. All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. When many flights were cancelled due to Hurricane Irene, they offered a discounted nightly rate for everyone who was stuck there.

Finally, they had umbrellas in the closet, which really helped out with all the hurricane related rain!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear MistyLuv79,

I'm so happy you enjoyed our cozy hotel and that you slept comfortably, and got to enjoy our wine reception! I do apologize for any unclear information you were given regarding your complimentary breakfast vouchers and I hope this didn't take away from your experience. We hope you will return to the Onyx in your future travels!
Charente Maritime
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed in this hotel as we wanted to be close to the centre of Boston, and everything really is just a short walk (Faneuil) or a quick T-ride (Harvard) or taxi away.

The hotel is stylishly comfy in the manner of other Kimpton properties we have stayed at.
Our double queen room was a little on the small side for a family of four with luggage in accordance for a 3 week trip all over the USA, but it was very comfortable nonetheless, particularly the beds, which were heavenly.

If I had to find something negative about the room, it would maybe be that some corners were quite dusty, which is understandable in a room full of furniture ( housekeeping must have trouble moving around with the vaccuum cleaner, I know I would), but not something for 'clean freaks'. Please understand that I am saying 'dusty', and not dirty, as the room was perfectly clean otherwise.

To get back to the positives, the staff in this hotel are absolutely fantastic ! Our check-in experience was a delight, were always greeted cheerily when entering or leaving the hotel, and when we got caught in a pre-Irene deluge just before we were due to leave for the airport, all of the staff at the front desk stepped in to literally save our sodden souls from what would have been a very cold, miserable & drenched trip to the airport.

They gave us a place to change, plenty of towels, a hair drier and even a bag of sweets for our 7 year-old to cheer her up. We have found Kimpton staff to be very good in the past, but this was just wonderful. Thank you all once again for your friendly professionalism, it is much appreciated, and what makes your hotel stand out.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Dear Fraire,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I'm glad you felt comfortable at our hotel and I'm so thankful that our staff took great care of you during Hurricane Irene. Come back and see us again soon!