“Nice hotel, comfy beds and helpful staff”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We were looking for a less expensive option near downtown Boston and we found the Onyx. It is a little off the beaten path, but easy walking distance to the North End, TD Garden and Faneuil Hall. My son and I were in Boston on college visits and I wanted him to see the city as well. As for the property itself, the lobby was under construction which was very disappointing at first. Breakfast was offered for $10 in the basement meeting rooms which were not appealing at all. However we found good restaurants nearby and Au Bon Pain is across the street. (Would have been a better move to offer free breakfast to make up for the construction.) Hotel staff were friendly and some more helpful than others. My son pointed out that they should have separate desk and concierge staff and he's right. Maybe this was due to construction but we felt bad getting detailed walking directions when someone was waiting to check in.

Our room had two double beds and was fine for two people. The finishes were attractive and the bedding was very,very comfortable. Water pressure in the shower could have been stronger. The only real annoyance was the air conditioner. It worked beautifully making the room nice and cool, however it was the loudest HVAC system I've ever heard. Really, woke us up in the night when the air kicked in. Not sure what they could do about it. Overall we would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mhirsch7
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thanks for the positive feedback. Yes our lobby and restaurant is undergoing a minor renovation, but it will be done at the end of July and I promise it will be amazing. Lucky for us we have so many restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel for our guests to visit, we can definitely help with recommendations. Your son has a keen eye about the front desk, but at the Onyx our staff likes to do everything so the front desk agents double as concierge experts too, so we only have the one desk. Kudos to him for noticing though!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Another Kimpton, another good experience. Staff were super friendly and very helpful with restaurant suggestions, tourist recommendations. Accommodated us with a room issue; one of our rooms had a faulty air conditioner, and staff helped us move to a different room. Location seems a little off the beaten path...until you start walking around. Several blocks to Little Italy, and to the T (subway/rail line). Very convenient to the Garden; couple blocks to a stop for the Old Town Trolley tour which I highly recommend.

Rooms were good. The lobby lounge area seemed a little dark and uninviting - but on our last day it looked they started a major remodel of that space. This decor of this Kimpton seemed more "normal" than many Kimptons I've been in. And as with most Kimptons (and seemingly most hotels anymore) the room lighting was just a little bit dim for my tastes.

Within a block are a couple of upscale taverns, a 7-11, and a nail salon - which some of our party appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Larry E
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thanks for the review! You are right, we are refreshing our lobby and Ruby Room. At the end of this month, it is going to be something even more special than it was!

Thanks for staying!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed here for one night with my son. It was an excellent location. Close to the subway, little Italy and the TD centre. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The lobby is fun. They have nice flavoured water.
The rooms are tiny and I mean tiny. Probably the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was nice and clean but for the price tiny! For my son and I it was fine but I think my husband and I would have found it claustrophobic. I was also disappointed that they did have coffee or tea in the room. Apparently you had to ask for it - would have been nice to know. Become an in touch member and get the free food from the mini bar.
I would stay again for location. I would get a bigger room and ask for coffee maker in room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing out - we faced another room. Dark and tiny.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the review and yes we can get you a coffee maker in the room! We also have coffee/tea in our lobby every morning (and don't forget the wine reception each night :-))

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is a great place to stay, especially if you are going to the Garden to see games. You can see the Garden just right up the street. Lots of places to eat along the way. The decor is very modern and updated. I likes it lots!!!! The staff is very nice and helpful as well, so you can't go wrong here if this is the area you want to be. The rooms are smaller, but you don't seem to mind because you have everything you need.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the summer months, ask for a lower floor....heat rises and you will be cooler...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Reviews like this one keep me grinning from ear to ear, so thanks!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Shortly after our online booking was confirmed, we received a very thoughtful email from the Front Desk manager inquiring about possible special occasion, offering help with organizing our vacation, describing Boston. After communicating the scope of our visit (pre-wedding trip), surprisingly, the reply came cordially wishing us a good time and promising a "little something" on arrival. I was impressed with the initiative, thinking that it is based in the free will and creativity that comes with a boutique hotel. So, I was curious... anticipating how I will be impressed.

We booked 2 rooms (one king, one double) and this is where it got tricky. Even if the booking was made for 2+3, at check in I made sure to mention to the very friendly clerks at the Reception that we will be 5 people in total and that the double room should have 3 sets of towels. When we got to the room there were only 2. Understandable.
We went for a trip around downtown and when we returned, close to midnight, there were 2 chocolates offered at turn-down (which is still a nice touch, even if many hotels don't offer due to cost cuts), but obviously no 3rd set of towels - which had to be reminded one more time.

Then, there was a bottle of wine placed in the double bedroom. So, attempting to give the front desk a heads up, I called reminding them that the special occasion was mentioned for the king room. Which kind of makes sense. However, the lovely lady at the desk sounded like she heard for the first time about the occasion...
Not very thoughtful when in action, after all.

Even though I understand the miscommunication issues that appear in a hotel and the lack of rooms with a view in old cities, the ambiance was amazing and completed with typical American genuine hospitality applied by young, dynamic staff.

The last thing I want to mention, though, is the shower head - change it! It is old, dirty and has a very low water flow.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Feedback is critical to the success of this hotel, so thank you for sharing. It makes sense to me, 3 people, 3 sets of towels. I promise it will be addressed.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

The Onyx has the feeling of being very tiny and intimate. The few public spaces are dramatic and comfortable. I love the usual funky Kimpton touches like the checkerboard carpet, the delicious morning coffee and the cool, refreshing flavored water in the lobby. The beds were comfy and as an "InTouch" member, I had a lovely half bottle of wine and chocolates on my nightstand when I returned to my room the first night.

The staff is wonderful here and it was nice to be within walking distance of Little Italy and some of the old cemeteries and buildings of the city.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Glad you enjoyed yourself while you stayed with us, it makes me smile! I love that you loved the coffee and the water, you've got to stay hydrated right?

Thanks for the great feedback!

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I visited the Onyx June 28-29 to celebrate my brother's birthday. A die-hard Red Sox fan and life-long New Jerseyan (seriously), we've visited Boston four times upon his request to catch a game and celebrate his birthday. Normally, we stay in Cambridge, but this time we wanted to try something different that was directly in the city. We decided on the Onyx because of its location to Faneuil Hall and the North End, in addition to the price being more reasonable compared to other hotels at its star level.

Before I booked I signed up for their free rewards program so we could get free wifi in our room, and in case we had a good experience, we would consider staying at other Kimpton hotels to earn free nights. What we loved about the Onyx was how extremely accommodating and personalized our experience was. I received several confirmation e-mails that had explicit instructions and confirmed the preferences I set. We also had the option to request upgrades like early check in or late/really late checkout for a nominal fee. The early check in was so worth the extra $25! We were able to settle in, go out and get lunch/walk around, and sneak in a catnap before going to the Sox game. It allowed us to really maximize the most of our time for such a short stay.

I also said that it was brother's birthday when I booked, simply expecting a "happy birthday" greeting when we checked in to surprise him. What we received was that and SO much more! The week prior to our arrival, I received an e-mail stating that I could e-mail a photo of a loved one or pet to make the room feel more at home. Naturally, I sent in a picture of my brother, and when he walked in the room and saw his photo blown up and framed, he cracked up. After we explored the city, we received a knock on the door, and discovered a friendly attendant who delivered some beers, waters, and peanuts along with a lovely note welcoming us to the city! Upon our arrival home late that night, we found a birthday card signed by hotel staff under our door. What a wonderful surprises! Every single time we passed through the lobby we were greeted, either asking how the game was or what our plans were, or asking my brother how his birthday weekend was going. These personal touches really exceeded our expectations.

As for the rooms, they were SPOTLESS, the beds were comfy, and the bathroom/shower was nicely sized. Yes, the rooms may be small, but we've seen smaller in Manhattan. Four adults fit comfortably...after all, you're there just there to sleep and get ready! With Faneuil Hall minutes away, the T a block away (and a 20 minute subway ride to Fenway), the TD Garden down the street, and a 10 minute walk to the North End, the Onyx will definitely be our go-to spot when we return again!

Room Tip: Higher floor was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Danielle P

A Sox fan in Jersey, who knew?? I am so happy you chose us for your brother's birthday weekend and I glad we played a small part in making it memorable. Thanks for the kind words and hope to see you again!