Kimpton Onyx Hotel
US$358
US$340
US$314
1,514 results
All reviewstd gardenruby roomthe north endportland streetfaneuil hallquincy marketwine hourceltics gameboston gardenwine receptioncomplimentary winewalking distanceau bon painrooms are smallmini bargovernment centerfront desk staff
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We were looking for a less expensive option near downtown Boston and we found the Onyx. It is a little off the beaten path, but easy walking distance to the North End, TD Garden and Faneuil Hall. My son and I were in Boston on college visits and I wanted him to see the city as well. As for the property itself, the lobby was under construction which was very disappointing at first. Breakfast was offered for $10 in the basement meeting rooms which were not appealing at all. However we found good restaurants nearby and Au Bon Pain is across the street. (Would have been a better move to offer free breakfast to make up for the construction.) Hotel staff were friendly and some more helpful than others. My son pointed out that they should have separate desk and concierge staff and he's right. Maybe this was due to construction but we felt bad getting detailed walking directions when someone was waiting to check in.

Our room had two double beds and was fine for two people. The finishes were attractive and the bedding was very,very comfortable. Water pressure in the shower could have been stronger. The only real annoyance was the air conditioner. It worked beautifully making the room nice and cool, however it was the loudest HVAC system I've ever heard. Really, woke us up in the night when the air kicked in. Not sure what they could do about it. Overall we would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mhirsch7
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thanks for the positive feedback. Yes our lobby and restaurant is undergoing a minor renovation, but it will be done at the end of July and I promise it will be amazing. Lucky for us we have so many restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel for our guests to visit, we can definitely help with recommendations. Your son has a keen eye about the front desk, but at the Onyx our staff likes to do everything so the front desk agents double as concierge experts too, so we only have the one desk. Kudos to him for noticing though!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Another Kimpton, another good experience. Staff were super friendly and very helpful with restaurant suggestions, tourist recommendations. Accommodated us with a room issue; one of our rooms had a faulty air conditioner, and staff helped us move to a different room. Location seems a little off the beaten path...until you start walking around. Several blocks to Little Italy, and to the T (subway/rail line). Very convenient to the Garden; couple blocks to a stop for the Old Town Trolley tour which I highly recommend.

Rooms were good. The lobby lounge area seemed a little dark and uninviting - but on our last day it looked they started a major remodel of that space. This decor of this Kimpton seemed more "normal" than many Kimptons I've been in. And as with most Kimptons (and seemingly most hotels anymore) the room lighting was just a little bit dim for my tastes.

Within a block are a couple of upscale taverns, a 7-11, and a nail salon - which some of our party appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Larry E
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thanks for the review! You are right, we are refreshing our lobby and Ruby Room. At the end of this month, it is going to be something even more special than it was!

Thanks for staying!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed here for one night with my son. It was an excellent location. Close to the subway, little Italy and the TD centre. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The lobby is fun. They have nice flavoured water.
The rooms are tiny and I mean tiny. Probably the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was nice and clean but for the price tiny! For my son and I it was fine but I think my husband and I would have found it claustrophobic. I was also disappointed that they did have coffee or tea in the room. Apparently you had to ask for it - would have been nice to know. Become an in touch member and get the free food from the mini bar.
I would stay again for location. I would get a bigger room and ask for coffee maker in room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing out - we faced another room. Dark and tiny.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the review and yes we can get you a coffee maker in the room! We also have coffee/tea in our lobby every morning (and don't forget the wine reception each night :-))

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is a great place to stay, especially if you are going to the Garden to see games. You can see the Garden just right up the street. Lots of places to eat along the way. The decor is very modern and updated. I likes it lots!!!! The staff is very nice and helpful as well, so you can't go wrong here if this is the area you want to be. The rooms are smaller, but you don't seem to mind because you have everything you need.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the summer months, ask for a lower floor....heat rises and you will be cooler if that is a concern for you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Reviews like this one keep me grinning from ear to ear, so thanks!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Shortly after our online booking was confirmed, we received a very thoughtful email from the Front Desk manager inquiring about possible special occasion, offering help with organizing our vacation, describing Boston. After communicating the scope of our visit (pre-wedding trip), surprisingly, the reply came cordially wishing us a good time and promising a "little something" on arrival. I was impressed with the initiative, thinking that it is based in the free will and creativity that comes with a boutique hotel. So, I was curious... anticipating how I will be impressed.

We booked 2 rooms (one king, one double) and this is where it got tricky. Even if the booking was made for 2+3, at check in I made sure to mention to the very friendly clerks at the Reception that we will be 5 people in total and that the double room should have 3 sets of towels. When we got to the room there were only 2. Understandable.
We went for a trip around downtown and when we returned, close to midnight, there were 2 chocolates offered at turn-down (which is still a nice touch, even if many hotels don't offer due to cost cuts), but obviously no 3rd set of towels - which had to be reminded one more time.

Then, there was a bottle of wine placed in the double bedroom. So, attempting to give the front desk a heads up, I called reminding them that the special occasion was mentioned for the king room. Which kind of makes sense. However, the lovely lady at the desk sounded like she heard for the first time about the occasion...
Not very thoughtful when in action, after all.

Even though I understand the miscommunication issues that appear in a hotel and the lack of rooms with a view in old cities, the ambiance was amazing and completed with typical American genuine hospitality applied by young, dynamic staff.

The last thing I want to mention, though, is the shower head - change it! It is old, dirty and has a very low water flow.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Feedback is critical to the success of this hotel, so thank you for sharing. It makes sense to me, 3 people, 3 sets of towels. I promise it will be addressed.