“Family weekend in Boston”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Family weekend in Boston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights over Canadian Thanksgiving, and chose this hotel for its proximity to TD Gardens where we were seeing a hockey game, and because the price was more reasonable than other downtown Boston hotels. The location worked well for us - we walked to many central Boston attractions, and also caught the subway twice, which was about 2 blocks over at TD Garden. I understand what other reviewers are saying about the street / location. It's a little dark and quiet, unless there's a concert or game, when the bars around the area became quite busy.

The hotel doesn't overly cater to children (more so dogs!) although we didn't feel unwelcome with our 7-year old son. Staff were friendly and welcoming. The hotel is basic in its services, which was fine with us, as we were there to sightsee, etc. and not planning to spend a lot of time in the hotel. We were glad for the breakfast buffet in the lobby as we couldn't find any other place to eat right in the area before heading out for the day. Rooms were clean and quiet; beds were comfortable and we slept well. We appreciated the valet staff keeping our bags for us on the day of checkout, as our plane didn't depart until the evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KayEl177

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Serbian first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed for one night in August 2013 and would have loved to stay longer! Excellent service: the staff in reception were friendly and went out of their way to help, the rooms were beautiful and I liked the added touch of the yoga mat! Will definitely be staying there again

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Philippa H
Walpole, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

My kids and I stayed here for a concert at TD Garden. Extremely convenient location. Valet and bus service exceeded my expectations. This is a pet friendly hotel. We stayed in room 401 - a dog had marked the bottom leg of the bed as well as the nightstand as a result the room smelled like urine. The toilet ran constantly if you didn't jingle the handle. The room was really small. We looked into the windows of another hotel and down on the dumpsters - not ideal. They have wine and hot cider in the lobby in the evening which is nice After the cider my kids sat down in the Ruby Room. After a ten minute wait the bartender walked by us - he had no intention of stopping. I asked if we could order two mac and cheeses he said yes and kept on walking. Never came back to see if we wanted beverages. Walked by again and I asked if there was any more hot apple cider - he threw his hands in the air and said I don't deal with that ask the front desk. 15 minutes later he walked by again and said oh I forgot about you your food must be ready by now - still no drinks. When he brought the food back I went upstairs to change I was going to sign when I came down but he gave the bill to my 14 year old daughter and asked her if her parents had taught her about tipping - he told her 18% is customary, actually did the math for her. Told her if she didn't tip he wouldn't be able to pay for housing of buy food to eat. The breakfast buffet was $16 outrageous - instant oatmeal, boxes of cereal, not so fresh fruit or Danish - only hot items were sausage, homefries bacon and eggs which weren't refreshed when they were emptied. I would have told the front desk about my dissatisfaction but they didn't ask me how my stay was. I'd go back again but avoid the restaurant / bar area and ask for a new room if mine smells like dog urine.

Room Tip: ask what your room overlooks
Green Features: They are supposed to be environmentally friendly but my toilet ran and the heat was set at 74
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura L
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with our pre-teen kids and our dog. Staff was really nice and very helpful, although everything was fine so we didn't ask for any problems to be solved. Room very nice but on small side. Location is within walking distance to lots of stuff in Boston but the actual street is a little sketchy and dark. Kids are half price at the breakfast in the lobby, which was a real breakfast. Food and drinks in the lobby were delicious and the staff was great. Parking was a rip off at $50 per night. Beds were comfortable. Overall a great hotel, I just wish it were in a different neighborhood.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lili S
Watertown, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Onyx for a Celtics game this past weekend. All I can say is.... Loved it! Our room was very nice and comfortable. Great location-- just a block from TD Garden...and an easy walk to restaurants, Quincy Market, etc... A great staff-- everyone we encountered was very helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed Tony...he is an asset. And I have to say that our room service breakfast was massive. There was no way I could finish it... Despite my best efforts! We will be back! I have a conference in April to attend that I'm supposed to stay at Intercontinental... But I'm going to pitch to my CEO that I stay here instead.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darsmithrn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was in Boston last weekend for the Celtics game. I chose the Onyx because it was closed to TD Garden and received complimentary ratings on Trip Advisor.

The "Bad": 1). My room was a bit smaller than I expected for a deluxe, even one downtown.
2). It could a bit loud outside the window from the street below, people going to the local sports bars or wherever. (Not enough to bother me, but for some...)

The Good: 1) Great location for my purposes. TD Garden was the next block up.
2) The desk staff was super courteous and helpful
3) The room itself was decorated very well, with modern designs and linens
4) The bathrobes were an unexpected touch. Nice even though I didn't use them.
5) They requested a picture of a loved one (family, friend, or pet), and they had it blown up and sitting on the desk.
6) The small emergency I had was handled quickly and without any signs of annoyance from the front desk, the maintenance guy, or housekeeping.

Anyway, I thought I received exceptional service for a comparable price. I would stay there again. In fact, I joined their hotel network's frequent visitor program so I can avail myself of any of their other hotels I may have a chance to stay.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room on the opposite side of Portland if you are light sleeper.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo